ESPN Live Mock Draft

H2o

Not in the least. Whether they are still employed by the Bills going forward, they want to remain employable in the NFL. Making a stupid desperation trade like this would end their careers.

man, you can say that again

"We kicked our ESPN NFL Nation live mock draft with a bang just minutes ago, swinging a deal with ESPN Houston Texans reporter Tania Ganguli for the first overall pick. In return, Tania and the Texans received the Bills' first-round pick (No. 9 overall), second-round pick (No. 41 overall), their 2015 first-round and third-round picks, and 2016 second-round pick. "

#9 first round this year, #2 this year. first round & third round 2015, 2016 second round. = :death:

His senior year he had only 3 QB's sacks all year... against young men in College. Talk about a disappearing act. is it any wonder why the Texans would want to trade out of the #1 overall. The guy is a top ten pick, although Mike Mayock has him ranked at #2 behind Mack.

Man....can the friggin' Draft get here already so I don't have to listen to LUNACY such as this???? No G-D way a GM pulls that kind of trade!!!! **ESPECIALLY*** for a player that is NOT a QB!!! The RGIII trade will come back to bite Washington in the ass, but at least it was for the future of the Franchise....oh dear God, get here already!!

The Bills would never do anything this stupid. Oh wait (somebody has to mention it), the Bills gave up (3) 1's and a 2 for Cornelius Bennett (Bell was a former number 1). Just sayin, that didn't work out so bad. As has been pointed out, picks can be overrated.

Man....can the friggin' Draft get here already so I don't have to listen to LUNACY such as this???? No G-D way a GM pulls that kind of trade!!!! **ESPECIALLY*** for a player that is NOT a QB!!! The RGIII trade will come back to bite Washington in the ass, but at least it was for the future of the Franchise....oh dear God, get here already!!

+1000 The fact that they are talking about giving up a kings ransom for a DE who actually has some serious doubts surrounding him just demonstrates that they did this to generate headlines / talk. No GM would ever agree to this when you have a team that is more than one player away, and / or you're not talking about a QB. IF Clowney turned out to be the next Bruce Smith, then you got him AT VALUE. Anything short of that and you've screwed up royally.

The fact that a team like NE who is virtually guaranteed of low draft picks each year and could use a star and doesn't need to fill a roster wouldn't even consider this for a second shows you the lunacy that this represents.

Bruce Smith disagrees.

In all seriousness, I am agnostic on a move like this. I think people are too fearful and a little bit delusional about the value of draft picks. On the other hand, you never know if the guy you are moving up for will really work out.

I think the idea that a move like this would doom the franchise for years is overblown, though. Teams survive crappy draft picks, so teams can survive giving away a few.

And anyway, we've already been doomed for years. The last time we made the playoffs I was in my youth (ish).

1st off...He's no Bruce...Not even close...Maybe he will be someday...But he's no where near as clean a prospect on the field as Bruce, Reggie, or LT...Not even remotely close...

You would be giving up two 1st's , 2 seconds, and a 3rd for one player who is not a QB, only had 3.5 sacks in his Sr year, and is WAY more freak athlete then he is football player at this point...Sure he could reach his ceiling and be the next greatest thing at DE in the NFL...But it's a gamble...And other than the QB position it's not worth the gamble when you are talking about giving up 5 premium picks over a three year span...If 1st-3rd round are the premium picks, you're talking about giving up 5 of your 9 premium picks from 2014-2016 for one player and he's not a QB...That's idiocy...No...It's dumber than that...DE's don't win championships in this league...Not unless they have a crap-ton of help, especially from their QB...JJ Watt is arguably the best DE in the NFL and his team is picking 1st in this Draft...What does that tell you?

I'm not trying to say I would not like Clowney, or that he will never be a great player...I am saying the only way I would want him is if he slid to #9 overall...Then I'm AOK with it... B-)

I'd be willing to bet, as reported by Clayton, that Whaley is one of the 2 GM's trying to move up into the top 5. I also believe he is the one who is reported to be "looking for a bargain."

I don't think it's gonna happen.

Exactly...I think the Bills are willing to part with their 3rd this year...Maybe their 2nd next year if they get desperate...But nothing more...And I think that's a good thing... B-)

Uh oh. Sucker move has Bills written all over it.

But having read the cost, if the Bills did this as stated in the article I'd turn off the TV immediately and start drinking heavily.

The move is irrelevant. The heavy drinking will begin regardless if the tv is on, we trade up, down or keep our pick. The heavy drinking is on. Cheers to football!

1st off...He's no Bruce...Not even close...Maybe he will be someday...But he's no where near as clean a prospect on the field as Bruce, Reggie, or LT...Not even remotely close...

You would be giving up two 1st's , 2 seconds, and a 3rd for one player who is not a QB, only had 3.5 sacks in his Sr year, and is WAY more freak athlete then he is football player at this point...Sure he could reach his ceiling and be the next greatest thing at DE in the NFL...But it's a gamble...And other than the QB position it's not worth the gamble when you are talking about giving up 5 premium picks over a three year span...If 1st-3rd round are the premium picks, you're talking about giving up 5 of your 9 premium picks from 2014-2016 for one player and he's not a QB...That's idiocy...No...It's dumber than that...DE's don't win championships in this league...Not unless they have a crap-ton of help, especially from their QB...JJ Watt is arguably the best DE in the NFL and his team is picking 1st in this Draft...What does that tell you?

I'm not trying to say I would not like Clowney, or that he will never be a great player...I am saying the only way I would want him is if he slid to #9 overall...Then I'm AOK with it... B-)

Exactly...I think the Bills are willing to part with their 3rd this year...Maybe their 2nd next year if they get desperate...But nothing more...And I think that's a good thing... B-)

Fair enough. I'm not saying he's Bruce, by any stretch. Just challenging the idea that a great DE doesn't win games. A great DE does win games. Not as many as a great QB to be sure.

I do agree that that price is too steep. But I'm not as outraged about it as most. If you love the guy, and you're right, and get a 10 year all pro and HOFer, what then? (Again, no idea if Clowney could be that or not.) Would I give up Whitner, Maybin, Troupe, Hardy, and TJ Graham for that? Um, yeah. Would I give up Gilmore, Dareus, A. Williams, Glenn, and Goodwin for that? Maybe not, but I would think about it.

For me it is less about the price than about how sold you are on the guy's potential greatness. If the Bills LOVE Clowney it is not an insane price (though loving Clowney might be insane - we'll see).

Fair enough. I'm not saying he's Bruce, by any stretch. Just challenging the idea that a great DE doesn't win games. A great DE does win games. Not as many as a great QB to be sure.

I do agree that that price is too steep. But I'm not as outraged about it as most. If you love the guy, and you're right, and get a 10 year all pro and HOFer, what then? (Again, no idea if Clowney could be that or not.) Would I give up Whitner, Maybin, Troupe, Hardy, and TJ Graham for that? Um, yeah. Would I give up Gilmore, Dareus, A. Williams, Glenn, and Goodwin for that? Maybe not, but I would think about it.

For me it is less about the price than about how sold you are on the guy's potential greatness. If the Bills LOVE Clowney it is not an insane price (though loving Clowney might be insane - we'll see).

If Clowney had dominated more in College I could certainly be more comfortable with the gamble...Though philosophically I just don't agree with these kinds of trades unless they are for a QB...And that QB better be pretty good...But Clowney flat out did not dominate with any kind of consistency...He did at times, and he completely disappeared at times...And I just feel there is too many questions with Clowney to put him in the category of a player you would take that kind of a chance with... B-)

Just an after thought.

If the Bills move up and take Clowney. Andre Reed doesn't get to announce the 2nd round pick.

Then we would have the "Curse of Andre" on top of the "Flutie Curse". JUST SAY NO BUFFALO!!!!

I have to call pure bull ****. You dont' know that and there is no way in hell you can even validate speculating this. It shows potential future employers they were willing to do whatever it took to try an win.

Now PTR you have been on a no trade rant / Crusade for awhile now, we get it you are old school, just draft where you are, don't take any risks. Ok got it. The rest of us see that this is a chance to finally get over the top screw future picks. Who says the new GM / HC will be any better than what we have had? You don't know who the new owner will be or how cheap he or she may or may not be.

Again Bull **** on both counts. Clowney combined with what we have gives us the best front 7 in all of football period! You dont' flush the franchise for 5 years either. Jesus man...

BTW What is our record the last 14 years mostly keeping our picks? How many winning seasons? How many playoff appearances? It CAN be argued this team has been 'flushed' for years now.

You need 2 to 3 starters out of every draft, selling out your future drafts can cripple you. Look at the Falcons, they gave up a ton of picks for Julio Jones, but now they have too many holes they can't fill.

I know it sounds like they are giving up 2 first rounders, but this is false. They are swapping 1 first rounder and giving up another. So it would be for 1 first rounder, 2 seconds, and 1 third.

This deal would make Houston a very good team in 2-3 years.