BRAVO! National Anthem

cåblelady

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep - that's EXACTLY what he was after... I'm sure Timmy has the "American Idol" mentality, and dying for his 30 seconds of fame...

From http://www.shrinershq.org/whatsnewarch/arc.../sings8-02.html :

An outgoing 9-year-old, Timmy has been a patient at the Philadelphia Shriners Hospital since he was 18 months old. He was born prematurely at 26 weeks, diagnosed with mild cerebral palsy and retinopathy of prematurity (both retinas were detached). Timmy is no stranger to hospitals, having spent more than four months in intensive care after coming into the world. At birth, he weighed slightly less than two pounds. Today, though, he is a burst of sunshine whenever he returns to the hospital for additional treatment.

His most recent visit to Shriners was for surgery on his hamstrings. Releasing the hamstrings allows him to walk better and straighter. His follow-up therapy sessions are special treats for everyone, because he never leaves without singing a song or two. After hearing him carry a tune, an employee commented, "This kind of therapy is beneficial for all of us."

"... Timmy is even teaching his mom Braille (sighted people read Braille with their eyes, not with their fingers)."

Oh, and here's a picture of the kid that ruined your day by singing off-tune... I'm sure he's sorry that he bothered you.

http://www.shrinershq.org/resources/betwee...sings1-8-02.jpg

215637[/snapback]

Thank you for the link. If you saw the post I made at the start of that game, you'll note this was exactly what I was asking.....why was he singing? I presumed there was some reason (in fact, I even suggested a terminal disease as one possibility) other than his voice.

Nice story!

Lets see who is man enough to admit they were an ass.

215639[/snapback]

Why have him sing the anthem at all? Pardon my liberal elitism, but I happen to believe that professional singing (i.e. in an arena, in front of thousands) should be left to those who can sing, rather than those who are "special".

That applies to any daughter I may or may not have, ajzepp. Call me crazy...but I don't think being one of those nuts who tells their kids "Of course you can sing, now go audition for American Idol" and makes a laughingstock out of 'em is all that worthy a pursuit...

Why have him sing the anthem at all?  Pardon my liberal elitism, but I happen to believe that professional singing (i.e. in an arena, in front of thousands) should be left to those who can sing, rather than those who are "special". 

That applies to any daughter I may or may not have, ajzepp.  Call me crazy...but I don't think being one of those nuts who tells their kids "Of course you can sing, now go audition for American Idol" and makes a laughingstock out of 'em is all that worthy a pursuit...

215703[/snapback]

I just don't see how they were laughingstocks, bro.........to me, it's a triumph. The kid can't see, he can barely walk, he has cerebral palsy, and he's friggin TEN. I'd be scared SHITLESS if I were in his position. I think he handled it like the champ that he is. Besides, what if it gives the kid a huge thrill?? Isn't that worth it? Maybe the kid was just dying to go out there and give it a go........I don't see how anyone can be critical of that.

Why have him sing the anthem at all?  Pardon my liberal elitism, but I happen to believe that professional singing (i.e. in an arena, in front of thousands) should be left to those who can sing, rather than those who are "special". 

That applies to any daughter I may or may not have, ajzepp.  Call me crazy...but I don't think being one of those nuts who tells their kids "Of course you can sing, now go audition for American Idol" and makes a laughingstock out of 'em is all that worthy a pursuit...

215703[/snapback]

If there was ever a better subject for sterilization, I haven't met him.

If there was ever a better subject for sterilization, I haven't met him.

215731[/snapback]

Now you sound like Alaska Darin....... :devil:

I just don't see how they were laughingstocks, bro.........to me, it's a triumph. The kid can't see, he can barely walk, he has cerebral palsy, and he's friggin TEN. I'd be scared SHITLESS if I were in his position. I think he handled it like the champ that he is. Besides, what if it gives the kid a huge thrill??  Isn't that worth it? Maybe the kid was just dying to go out there and give it a go........I don't see how anyone can be critical of that.

215721[/snapback]

Let me try to simplify it even more: I don't think being "special" should be a requirement for singing the National Anthem; I think you should be required to sing. Not to denigrate the kid (not at all, I'm denigrating the morons that let him out there), but having CP doesn't make one a singer.

And personally, regardless of who the kid is, I think any parent that throws their 10 year old into an arena of 70k people (in friggin' Philadelpha for God's sake...a place where, if you fall of the upper deck and survive, they boo you) and says "Go ahead honey, sing one of the hardest songs to sing on the coldest day of the year" is nucking futs.

But having said that...I give him an A for honest effort, more than most people ever put into anything in their lives. But still...doesn't make him a singer. Makes him a blind kid with CP exploited to pander to the raw emotions of the crowd.

Let me try to simplify it even more: I don't think being "special" should be a requirement for singing the National Anthem; I think you should be required to sing.  Not to denigrate the kid (not at all, I'm denigrating the morons that let him out there), but having CP doesn't make one a singer.

And personally, regardless of who the kid is, I think any parent that throws their 10 year old into an arena of 70k people (in friggin' Philadelpha for God's sake...a place where, if you fall of the upper deck and survive, they boo you) and says "Go ahead honey, sing one of the hardest songs to sing on the coldest day of the year" is nucking futs. 

But having said that...I give him an A for honest effort, more than most people ever put into anything in their lives.  But still...doesn't make him a singer.  Makes him a blind kid with CP exploited to pander to the raw emotions of the crowd.

215775[/snapback]

I'll bet you prefer the BCS system over a college football playoff format.........dontcha

Let me try to simplify it even more: I don't think being "special" should be a requirement for singing the National Anthem; I think you should be required to sing.  Not to denigrate the kid (not at all, I'm denigrating the morons that let him out there), but having CP doesn't make one a singer.

But having said that...I give him an A for honest effort, more than most people ever put into anything in their lives.  But still...doesn't make him a singer.  Makes him a blind kid with CP exploited to pander to the raw emotions of the crowd.

215775[/snapback]

Did you hear booing from the crowd when he sang? I didn't. If they were booing, seems like it was only a few jerks.

How do you know this wasn't the kids wish? You assume the parents threw him out there. It might have been his dream.

Try to rationalize your thoughts all you want, you'll still sound like a dick.

Also, as for Philly, allow me to defend it: The thing about Philly is that as tough as they are on folks, they also give props where they are due. I don't know if you noticed, but when the kid began having a couple problems with the anthem, the crowd began singing WITH him. Philly fans are not a bunch of animals......they are a tough crowd, but they will also go out of their way to fight for, protect, and stand by their own. That little kid was one of them, and they supported him 100%.

Try to rationalize your thoughts all you want, you'll still sound like a dick.

215794[/snapback]

I can live with that.

Look...is it all that unreasonable to believe that people who aren't singers shouldn't masquerade as such, and that disabled people shouldn't be exploited or coddled simply because they're "special"?

Also, as for Philly, allow me to defend it: The thing about Philly is that as tough as they are on folks, they also give props where they are due. I don't know if you noticed, but when the kid began having a couple problems with the anthem, the crowd began singing WITH him. Philly fans are not a bunch of animals......they are a tough crowd, but they will also go out of their way to fight for, protect, and stand by their own. That little kid was one of them, and they supported him 100%.

215797[/snapback]

I'll grant that...

I still think it's nuts to do that to a 10 year old, though. Anyone who wants to disagree with me is entitled to...but I still think it's nuts. And regardless of any excuses or justifications anyone wants to throw out there...he still butchered the song... :devil:

I'll grant that...

I still think it's nuts to do that to a 10 year old, though.  Anyone who wants to disagree with me is entitled to...but I still think it's nuts.  And regardless of any excuses or justifications anyone wants to throw out there...he still butchered the song...  :devil:

215852[/snapback]

Alright, well we can agree to disagree then.......but Bledsoe still sucks.

I can live with that.

Look...is it all that unreasonable to believe that people who aren't singers shouldn't masquerade as such, and that disabled people shouldn't be exploited or coddled simply because they're "special"?

215848[/snapback]

What if it was a Make-A-Wish thing?

yeah, it seemed like the first kid was kind of being held up by the adult (father?) behind him.......but hell, both of them were in freezing cold weather, in front of tens of thousands of people, on live television, singing a pretty tough piece of music. The girl may not have had complete control over her notes, but she sure as hell could belt it out.

215610[/snapback]

Regardless of any off key notes....I think they deserve a load of credit.

My daughter sings the national anthem at local sports and church events and even I always feel a great amount of pride how a 9 year old can get in front of that many people and just be loose enough to hit the notes correctly.

Its a gift....a wonderful gift

Regardless of any off key notes....I think they deserve a load of credit.

My daughter sings the national anthem at local sports and church events and even I always feel a great amount of pride how a 9 year old can get in front of that many people and just be loose enough to hit the notes correctly.

Its a gift....a wonderful gift

216261[/snapback]

couldn't agree more......and chances are if, God forbid, your daughter had taken ill, or was ill since birth, and had a chance to so something as thrilling as what happened yesterday, you'd want her to have that opportunity.