My heart just sunk - RE: Kelly's cancer battle

D521646

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One other note the impact of nutrition on battling cancer is way understated in the medical community, or at least what I have observed personally.

I would extend this to battling health in general. Unfortunately, our medical profession seems to start after the fact and not before it. If only more in the field practiced preventative health measures.

The quality of the dr makes a HUGE underscore HUGE difference.

My fathers onc in buffalo said chemo stopped working, end of the road. My pops then went to Hopkins and they said no sweat, here's a different chemo, and it's working and his quality of life is restored.

It always seems to be about buying time but man the difference amongst the "experts" has amazed me throughout this whole thing.

One other note the impact of nutrition on battling cancer is way understated in the medical community, or at least what I have observed personally.

Jim best hook in to Roswell if not already or get to a big city with the best like he seems to have started with.

The quality of Dr. is KEY. Not ever Dr. is as skilled as others. As a non-cancer example, my wife, 26 at the time, was told that she likely needed to have heart surgery to repair the electrical currents around her heart. (this, following 3 Dr.'s who had no idea why she would continually pass-out if slightly startled). Fortunately for us, we knew a Dr. who knew the head cardiologist at UPMC. He took a look and was amazed at the number of times she had been mis-diagnosed. Turns out, it was a blood pressure, not heart problem. She has low BP (runs in her family also). She is now on medication and has been fine for a long time. Point of all of this is: if any of you ever get a diagnosis that seems odd to you, see another Dr., then another, then another. Someone will get it right.

The quality of Dr. is KEY. Not ever Dr. is as skilled as others. As a non-cancer example, my wife, 26 at the time, was told that she likely needed to have heart surgery to repair the electrical currents around her heart. (this, following 3 Dr.'s who had no idea why she would continually pass-out if slightly startled). Fortunately for us, we knew a Dr. who knew the head cardiologist at UPMC. He took a look and was amazed at the number of times she had been mis-diagnosed. Turns out, it was a blood pressure, not heart problem. She has low BP (runs in her family also). She is now on medication and has been fine for a long time. Point of all of this is: if any of you ever get a diagnosis that seems odd to you, see another Dr., then another, then another. Someone will get it right.

Man, that is pretty scary that several doctors could not even figure out she was passing out because of low BP. Isn't BP the first thing they check? You wonder where some of these doctors get their degrees from.

Like I have said before, I have had two heroes in my life...my Father and Jim Kelly.

My Father was taken from me in June 2008 from pancreatic cancer, I am still not able to accept that. It is by far the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with in my entire 31 years alive, and anyone who knows me personally, knows I have been through A LOT.

If Jim Kelly is taken from all of us, most importantly his young daughters and his beautiful loving wife...I am going to have a very hard time believing in "God." I already have a hard time believing in that stuff...but that will be the icing on the cake for me. (I know others firmly believe in their religion, and I accept that...but to me, "God" wouldn't do this kind of stuff to amazing people...who have done nothing but help those around them.)

Like Jimbo, my Father was relatively big in our community...having been a Marine in Vietnam, a Police officer, a security cop at the VA hospital, and the man who started little league baseball and the VFW in our hometown...everyone knew and loved him, like Jim.

And to this day, almost 6 years later...I still have not come to terms with the fact I will never see my hero again. :-(

Bruh, I don't know your father, but he had my respect when you said, Marine and Police Officer...enough said....any man / woman that does those two things, has earned my respect....regardless of anything else, those two positions (one of which I have real familiarity with) have one thing in common: your life and service for the good of others....that alone, generates respect and to some degree, honor....sorry about your father and the way he passed, but not knowing him or you, even sorrIER that a man like that is no longer on earth, being an example to all of us...best wishes

One thought: We have been reading articles of late on who will be the next Bills owner: And Kelly keeps surfacing as being involved...can this be taken that maybe the prognosis isn't as grim as was described in the Texans thread? If it was truly that bad, would Jim even be involved at all? Also going home to Buffalo for treatments might not be viewed as a bad thing, there is NO place like home.

A good friend of mine had a fast moving Skin cancer that was on his nose, went to his sinuses and almost into his brain. They removed it all and reconstructed his nose from cartilage in his ears. He is now Cancer free. His Girlfriend has been Stage 4 Cancer 4 times in the last 15 years and is now in remission. Both of them are Jim's age. Prayers help too, and I am praying for Jim.

A good friend of mine had a fast moving Skin cancer that was on his nose, went to his sinuses and almost into his brain. They removed it all and reconstructed his nose from cartilage in his ears. He is now Cancer free. His Girlfriend has been Stage 4 Cancer 4 times in the last 15 years and is now in remission. Both of them are Jim's age. Prayers help too, and I am praying for Jim.

Geebus thatis amazing ! Your friends kick ass !

I guess we have all been affected by sickness and death has come calling too.

All i have learned is this , try to do good every day . No matter how small . Be aware that today may be the last for anyone. Thats why i always hug and kiss my children when i leave them.

Even though they are all adults and dont know why i do it.

They think i just love them very very much.

Not how much i will miss them when i am gone :wub:

Edited by 3rdand12

What do you call the guy who graduated at the bottom of his medical school class?

"Doctor."

Great quote! Everyone of course wants the doctor who was #1 in his/her class, but as in any other profession there are amazing world-class doctors, good doctors, mediocre doctors, and people who really should not have graduated but did because someone didn't want to be the reason for them not having a career.

Great quote! Everyone of course wants the doctor who was #1 in his/her class, but as in any other profession there are amazing world-class doctors, good doctors, mediocre doctors, and people who really should not have graduated but did because someone didn't want to be the reason for them not having a career.

Absolutely. Fortunately, a lot of the bad ones tend to migrate towards specialties where they don't have to interact with people too much (ie radiology, pathology). Like with any other professional services, shop around, get second and third opinions.