LT/RT Mathews or TE Ebron in R1??

IMO, that's not even close to being a true statement. Obviously the numbers are in favor but most of the star TE's are not first round picks.

I wouldn't call Dustin Keller, Kellen Winslow, Tyler Eifert, Jermaine Gresham, or Brandon Pettigrew stars either.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call Dustin Keller, Kellen Winslow, Tyler Eifert, Jermaine Gresham, or Brandon Pettigrew stars either.

Couple years old but pretty good list: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82860152/article/best-firstround-tight-ends-of-the-last-decade

1. Vernon Davis, 49ers (No. 6, 2006)

2. Dallas Clark, Colts (No. 24, 2003)

3. Heath Miller, Steelers (No. 30, 2005)

4. Kellen Winslow, Browns (No. 6. 2004)

5. Brandon Pettigrew, Lions (No. 20, 2009)

6. Jeremy Shockey, Giants (No. 14, 2002)

7. Dustin Keller, Jets (No. 30, 2008)

8. Marcedes Lewis, Jaguars (No. 28, 2006)

9. Jermaine Gresham, Bengals (No. 21, 2010)

10. Daniel Graham, Patriots (No. 21, 2002)

11. Greg Olsen, Bears (No. 31, 2007)

12. Ben Watson, Patriots (No. 32, 2004)

13. Jerramy Stevens, (No. 28, 2002)

The bust rate of first-round tight ends over the last decade is exceptionally low. Guys like Lewis, Gresham, and Graham were good picks; solid starters. Watson is second-to-last on this list, but even he was a reasonably productive player.

Based on some of the recent gems at tight end in the draft (Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Jimmy Graham and Jermichael Finley), perhaps tight end is a position that remains undervalued by NFL evaluators.

Couple years old but pretty good list: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82860152/article/best-firstround-tight-ends-of-the-last-decade

The bust rate of first-round tight ends over the last decade is exceptionally low. Guys like Lewis, Gresham, and Graham were good picks; solid starters. Watson is second-to-last on this list, but even he was a reasonably productive player.

Based on some of the recent gems at tight end in the draft (Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Jimmy Graham and Jermichael Finley), perhaps tight end is a position that remains undervalued by NFL evaluators.

Good picks for certain, just not stars. I'm not against any position in round 1; I just want an elite player--Ebron isn't that IMO.

Couple years old but pretty good list: http://www.nfl.com/n...the-last-decade

As Bandit said we were mainly speaking to the "stars" comment. I imagine the TE position is one of the lowest drafted positions so I think overall it has a decent success rate. I'm not arguing against taking Ebron at 9 but I do think you're far more likely to get a star drafting another position.

As Bandit said we were mainly speaking to the "stars" comment. I imagine the TE position is one of the lowest drafted positions so I think overall it has a decent success rate. I'm not arguing against taking Ebron at 9 but I do think you're far more likely to get a star drafting another position.

Throughout the years, there have been plenty of "star" players at the TE position, so I'm inclined to disagree with that broad generalization. Every draft year is completely different with the available players in the pool.

The exciting pick is Ebron who has been liked to SF's TE V. Davis. He can do it all and would add a very nice dimension for the Bills at TE.

This is not true. Ebron's measurables are not even in the same ballpark as Vernon Davis's. Vernon blew scouts away in his workouts, and was worth risking the top-10 pick he cost. Ebron is seen as very 1-dimensional, which is the opposite of VD.

Even Vernon Davis, with the best TE measurables coming into the Draft of all time, did almost nothing in his rookie year. In fact, he didn't make a major impact until his 4th year. The Bills can't afford to spend a top-10 pick on a player who is not an IMMEDIATE contributor. TEs are almost never studs right away. We don't have the luxury to wait 2-3 years for talent to develop. You don't take a Gresham/Keller/Marcedes Lewis type guy at #9 overall.

As much as I hate the idea of a RT at #9, it's much better to take an elite OL than reach for a "pretty good" TE prospect. Ideally, Evans falls & we grab him.

Can someone that favors drafting Ebron please just explain his lack of production in college for me? I get the physical tools and the potential he has, but for the life of me I don't understand with the schedule they played why he didn't have more than 3 TDs last year. That just doesn't scream elite offensive weapon to me. Help me understand your perspective.

Can someone that favors drafting Ebron please just explain his lack of production in college for me? I get the physical tools and the potential he has, but for the life of me I don't understand with the schedule they played why he didn't have more than 3 TDs last year. That just doesn't scream elite offensive weapon to me. Help me understand your perspective.

Explain that too while they're explaining how Ebron has more drops per target than any of the other top-10 TE's in the draft. Snooze....