stephen colbert named letterman replacement

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but isn't it a risk hiring someone whose schtick is making fun of a large segment of the population? I've never really watched him but I was just wondering that.

Yes, that is a risk. To be fair, he was a comic before the Colbert character took off. Funny thing is, and part of his genius, there are those who still think he is a conservative. And that uncertainty comes from both sides of the spectrum. A lot of liberals can't stand him, it appears, because they think he is the character he portrays...and they just miss the joke... it is a pretty sophisticated style of comedy. I think a lot of conservatives get a kick out of him too...and he isn't afraid to poke fun of liberals now and again. I remember Barney Frank (everyone's favorite liberal) was a guest a couple years ago, and obviously had no clue Colbert was "one of us"... one of the few guests to really get worked up on the show. He really is very good at what he does...but I think, yes, his political POV (even if it isn't the basis for his new show) is bound to turn some people off.

Yes, that is a risk. To be fair, he was a comic before the Colbert character took off. Funny thing is, and part of his genius, there are those who still think he is a conservative. And that uncertainty comes from both sides of the spectrum. A lot of liberals can't stand him, it appears, because they think he is the character he portrays...and they just miss the joke... it is a pretty sophisticated style of comedy. I think a lot of conservatives get a kick out of him too...and he isn't afraid to poke fun of liberals now and again. I remember Barney Frank (everyone's favorite liberal) was a guest a couple years ago, and obviously had no clue Colbert was "one of us"... one of the few guests to really get worked up on the show. He really is very good at what he does...but I think, yes, his political POV (even if it isn't the basis for his new show) is bound to turn some people off.

It is?? What little of it I've seen it's pretty lowbrow.

Edited by Chef Jim

It is?? What little of it I've seen it's pretty lowbrow.

I mean sophisticated in the sense that he rarely breaks character... I would imagine, in some ways, he is relived to let the character go. His "wag of the finger" segments are some of my favorites....a complete parody of O'Reilly's "last word" (or whatever he calls it) segments.

And, to be honest, as much as he obviously rips conservatives, his targets are quite often are ones that serious conservatives have no use for either. I wouldn't expect him to be everyone's cup of tea, so I am not going to go at lengths to sell anybody on him. I am just pretty sure that I won't enjoy him doing a traditional night time talk show as much as I have the Colbert Report over the last 8 years or so.

I mean sophisticated in the sense that he rarely breaks character... I would imagine, in some ways, he is relived to let the character go. His "wag of the finger" segments are some of my favorites....a complete parody of O'Reilly's "last word" (or whatever he calls it) segments.

And, to be honest, as much as he obviously rips conservatives, his targets are quite often are ones that serious conservatives have no use for either. I wouldn't expect him to be everyone's cup of tea, so I am not going to go at lengths to sell anybody on him. I am just pretty sure that I won't enjoy him doing a traditional night time talk show as much as I have the Colbert Report over the last 8 years or so.

I just think it's a huge risk. Seeing there are conservatives who may not like being parodied and liberals who think he's really a dumbass conservative.

I just think it's a huge risk. Seeing there are conservatives who may not like being parodied and liberals who think he's really a dumbass conservative.

No risk @ all. Don't worry, conservatives don't know they are being parodied and ALL liberals know conservatives are dumbassses.

:-P

Hmmm...I had heard last week, that the Letterman job was Fergusons if he had wanted it, but he declined.

I don't know whether or not it was actually offered to him, but I did see a story last week that said he is getting a huge payoff for not getting the Late Show gig. There was a clause in his contract for a couple million dollar payout if they went with someone else. If he did get offered the job, I'd say he made the right choice. His style wouldn't work at the earlier hour. His material is a bit more risky. He's perfect right where he is.

No risk @ all. Don't worry, conservatives don't know they are being parodied and ALL liberals know conservatives are dumbassses.

:o If you don't like Colbert then watch the guy he emulates.

Funny how in a few years things change http://www.foxnews.c...s-no-spin-zone/

"The Colbert Report" on Comedy Central is a very successful program that owes everything to me....

Each night host Stephen Colbert tries to convince Americans that he is me

---------

https://tv.yahoo.com...-213500740.html

The Fox News opinion host clearly doesn't appreciate the schtick, and doesn't think “40 percent of Americans who describe themselves as conservative,” do either. Even though Colbert has made it clear he will not be hosting “The Late Show” in character, O'Reilly thinks it will still be tough for the comedian to connect with CBS’ audience.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Actually if you read Buftex's posts the dumbasses are the liberals who think Colbert is actually a conservative.

Actually if you read Buftex's posts the dumbasses are the liberals who think Colbert is actually a conservative.

Just read some of the comments in some of the news stories about Colbert. Proof thad dumbassedness has no political persuasion. Some people hate him because he makes fun of the president too much... :lol:

I thought that I had seen someone else mention this earler in the thread, but I can't find it now. anyway, I was watching comedy centrall the night where Colbert came back from some time away due to the passing of his mother. I can't find the entire segment anywhere in youtube, but it was a very sweet, very sensitive, and very loving tribute he gave her. this is it in part:

http://youtu.be/qPJfpvw9Ubo

the whole segment ran at least five minutes, and it was extremely touching. I don't know for certain what his personal politics are, but I've always been able to set such things aside when it comes to good comedy. I have no doubt that he'll do just fine in his new surroundings.

if I want comedy that more closely reflects my own philosophy, there's always South Park.

Edited by Azalin