If We Pass on Ebron .... We Will Regret it

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would HATE, HATE, HATE, this pick at 9 or 41 or ANYWHERE... Ebron may be an attractive pick as an athlete, but he is not a reliable, all-weather TE... There are far better prospects available in later rounds. TE Alex Bayer of BGSU is one of the rare finds of this draft... He does not have elite speed, but he does have elite football instincts. Bayer is a big, nimble, solid blocker with great hands, who's great at getting open. -A QB's best friend. Alex Bayer is exactly the type of help EJ needs.

Edited by #34fan

I would HATE, HATE, HATE, this pick at 9 or 41 or ANYWHERE... Ebron may be an attractive pick as an athlete, but he is not a reliable, all-weather TE... There are far better prospects available in later rounds. TE Alex Bayer of BGSU is one of the rare finds of this draft... He does not have elite speed, but he does have elite football instincts. Bayer is a big, nimble, solid blocker with great hands, who's great at getting open. -A QB's best friend. Alex Bayer is exactly the type of help EJ needs.

I don't know what makes you say that.

Bayer is nothing more than Lee Smith with better hands. I don't see how Bayer of all the tight ends in this class would be an improvment over what we already have on this roster. I would take Gragg over Bayer seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

Ebron is a jack of all trades but those whom don't want him ignore that.

Ebron can be lined up anywhere on the field and create mismatches

Ebron can block, there is evidence of it. Blieve me the kid can blow up defenders and can get good pad level just does not do it consistently. That is something I firmly believe Marrone could coach up.

Ebron has better hands than some want to give credit for. For every drop, there is an outstanding one handed catch or a catch in traffic with a defender drapped all over him. The kid is, at this point more of and athelte than a complete player. I will agree to that but that is one of the reasons for the drops. The kid is not well versed in the route tree and relies too heavily on his athletic ability to make plays. Causes lapses in concentration. Again an attribute that can be coached up. This is why, not only do you have a head coach but POSITION COACHES.

I would much rather work with the body kit of a Ferrari than that of a reliable Honda. Maybe you can't put the Ferrari as eaily, but when you do watch out.

From the group of Evans, Ebron or Donald, I've come to the conclusion that there should be at least one future game-changing NFL player available for the Bills pick at #9. The worst possible scenario for the Bills is if all QBs drop out of the top 10, Evans and Donald are both picked by #7 and someone trades with the Vikings ahead of the Bills to take Ebron. Something like this would be really bad IMO…

Texans/Clowney, Rams/Robinson, Jaguars/Mack, Browns/Watkins, Raiders/Donald, Falcons/Matthews, Bucs/Evans, Jets(trade wVikings)/Ebron, Bills….

I have full confidence that Ebron is going to be a star TE, and one that's either on or close to the level of Gronk and Graham. Does he drop more passes than he should? Yes. But the kid wants to be the best and his work ethic should take care of that flaw in his game.

Historically, the Bills are more likely to use a #9 on a RB and pick up their TE off some other team's list of cuts.

In the past, there have been RBs rated that high on Big Boards and shown that high on mocks. This year. there aren't. The NFL didn't even invite any RBs to NY and they have 30 attendees. The RB value is changing. Other teams have taken RBs in the 1st as well who wouldn't this year. The TE position is changing as well... and so has their GM. So I don't see historical data on TE drafting making a difference in what they do this year. They did take one in the 4th last yr, FWIW.

I don't know what makes you say that.

Bayer is nothing more than Lee Smith with better hands. I don't see how Bayer of all the tight ends in this class would be an improvment over what we already have on this roster. I would take Gragg over Bayer seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

Ebron is a jack of all trades but those whom don't want him ignore that.

Ebron can be lined up anywhere on the field and create mismatches

Ebron can block, there is evidence of it. Blieve me the kid can blow up defenders and can get good pad level just does not do it consistently. That is something I firmly believe Marrone could coach up.

Ebron has better hands than some want to give credit for. For every drop, there is an outstanding one handed catch or a catch in traffic with a defender drapped all over him. The kid is, at this point more of and athelte than a complete player. I will agree to that but that is one of the reasons for the drops. The kid is not well versed in the route tree and relies too heavily on his athletic ability to make plays. Causes lapses in concentration. Again an attribute that can be coached up. This is why, not only do you have a head coach but POSITION COACHES.

I would much rather work with the body kit of a Ferrari than that of a reliable Honda. Maybe you can't put the Ferrari as eaily, but when you do watch out.

The problem is Ebron is a Honda with a Ferrari body kit.

He is not freakishly fast, he is not freakishly tall, he is not freakishly agile. Not by any measurement in the combine.

He is all hype.

I don't know who Bayer is but Troy Nicklas, ASJ, and Jace Amaro all have just as good and sometimes better measurable and college production and at least one of them is guaranteed to be there at #41. No way 7 WRs and 4 TEs go in the first round.

There is nothing special about Ebron in comparison to the TEs in the draft class beside Hype.

Edited by Why So Serious?

My thinking exactly. I would definitely take Clowney, Mack, or Watkins but I highly doubt any of them are there.

A OT just provides so much more impact then Ebron would. What happens if Glenn gets injured?? If we take Matthews or Lewan, no problem. They can slide right over & not miss a beat. That's why I like Matthews so much: he can play any position on the line & has a ton of experience at RT with 46 starts in the SEC in 2 different styles of offense. You can pretty much throw the season away if Glenn goes down with the current state of our OT's. I really liked what Hairston did a couple years back but who knows if he even can dress?

Couple that with the fact that we can get a TE in the 2nd that is almost identical too what Ebron would bring to this offense is ASJ or grab a more traditional, in-line TE in Niklas whom is also a dominating blocker. 75% of Niklas' snaps came from the LOS. He also is a better redzone threat then Ebron IMO. 6'6" / 270lb with a 32 inch vertical is close to unstoppable in the redzone. Hell, Ebron only had 3 TD's last season. Top 10 TE's should have more then 3 TD's coming out.

Now figure even if Ebron has a great rookie year, he catches 60 balls or so. Pretty good year but that isn't going to turn the tide of this offense. A OT will step into RT and impact every single play. Pears was the worst rated run blocking RT last season & that's a big problem on a team that runs as much as we do. We also gave up 48 sacks. That is atrocious. Games are won and lost in the trenches and I'm pretty sure Marrone realizes that being an o-line guy. Matthews or Lewan both would've been in contention for the 1st overall pick last year & surely went in the top 3.

this! :thumbsup:

this! :thumbsup:

I think many would agree that if Matthews is there at 9, he would be the BPA and the Bills would take him. But assuming he is not as he is mocked higher than that in virtually every MD I have seen, we are looking at Lewan or Martin as OTs and maybe just Martin. Lewan is not nearly as versatile as Matthews on the Line, and Martin is not as highly rated as a prospect as high as 9 which I think could be looked at as a reach. If they don't want to trade up, can't trade down or don't want to, and Evans/Matthews are off the board, that is where Ebron comes in. Edited by YoloinOhio

Eric Ebron: 3 seasons 112 receptions 1805 yards 8 TDs

Marquise Lee: 3 seasons 248 receptions 3655 yards 29 TDs

They played comparable competition PAC 10 vs ACC.

I don't see how Ebron is some great weapon who will change an offense. I think WR Lee is a better option for as a receiving weapon.

If you believe what you read, Ebron's next great block will be his first.

You do know that Ebron was only 20 years old up until this very month?

Part of draft evaluation process is understanding that 99% of them have some "polishing up" to do. He's one of the youngest players in this draft, yet he's still considered a consensus top 15 ranked player. Yes he lacks blocking skills right now, however that's something which is very coachable. Especially with a young, dedicated and motivated pupil such as Ebron.

I saw someone throw out that Pettigrew was a great blocker coming out of college. I certainly hope so, dude was 24 years old when he was drafted...LOL

In the past, there have been RBs rated that high on Big Boards and shown that high on mocks. This year. there aren't. The NFL didn't even invite any RBs to NY and they have 30 attendees. The RB value is changing. Other teams have taken RBs in the 1st as well who wouldn't this year. The TE position is changing as well... and so has their GM. So I don't see historical data on TE drafting making a difference in what they do this year. They did take one in the 4th last yr, FWIW.

Just saying. Case anyone wants to make a little box to put their regret in later. B-)

I like the idea of taking Ebron with a top ten pick far more than upgrading the right tackle position. I'm not against drafting a rigth tackle high, just think the 2nd round is a better place to look for guards, safeties, linebackers, and right tackles. I want a top ten pick to scare the other team and score touchdowns. Touchdowns have been hard to come by for this team over the last 15 years. This is also a league where most games are decided by critical 3rd and 4th downs. A TE that is a matchup nightmare will help us the most to win more games.

For those who question having a top tight end or that Ebron has talent I have seen a quote from a AFC scout that the two can't miss receivers in this draft are Watkins and...Eric Ebron.

Some more from Russ Lande:

North Carolina's Eric Ebron fits the mold of game-changing tight end to a tee, and he is the best tight end prospect I have evaluated since Kellen Winslow Jr., who would likely have become a dominant player if not for his motorcycle accident. Although many are projecting that teams like the Ravens and Jets will be interested in him, a number of NFL people I've spoken with recently believe he will be selected in the top 12, because he is a rare talent who could be better than Jimmy Graham.....

I would be willing to gamble on Ebron because he is such a rare physical specimen and seems to thrive on competition, which could be enough to get him to maintain his focus better so that he does not drop easy passes as often. If he stays healthy, I believe he will quickly become one of the top three tight ends in the NFL, regularly catching 70 passes a season and opening up his team's offense.

http://www.sportsone...-end-eric-ebron

Edited by jeffismagic

Russ Lande has been my favorite "draft guru" for the past several years. I respect that he has been a scout in the NFL and is now director of college scouting for the CFL's Montreal Allouettes.

However, to me Ebron is all potential and little production. 8 TDS in 3 years for a top 10 receiving threat just isn't very impressive.

Yes, as a very young player coming into the league, he looks to have upside, but for a top 10 pick, that upside better be huge and seems too big of a gambler to me.

I'd rather take any of the top 3 OTs or WR Lee or Beckham.

By contrast, Kelvin Benjamin is about the same size and scored 19 TDs in TWO years, 15 (nearly twice as many as Ebron's career total) just THIS year. BTW, Benjamin did this in the SAME conference that Ebron played in.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Russ Lande has been my favorite "draft guru" for the past several years. I respect that he has been a scout in the NFL and is now director of college scouting for the CFL's Montreal Allouettes.

However, to me Ebron is all potential and little production. 8 TDS in 3 years for a top 10 receiving threat just isn't very impressive.

Yes, as a very young player coming into the league, he looks to have upside, but for a top 10 pick, that upside better be huge and seems too big of a gambler to me.

I'd rather take any of the top 3 OTs or WR Lee or Beckham.

By contrast, Kelvin Benjamin is about the same size and scored 19 TDs in TWO years, 15 (nearly twice as many as Ebron's career total) just THIS year. BTW, Benjamin did this in the SAME conference that Ebron played in.

In their last season at UNC…

Eric Ebron 62 catches / 973 yards / 15.7 ypc

Vernon Davis 51 catches / 871 yards / 17.1 ypc

Little production? You don't have to make stuff up. Just say that you don't think he'll score TDs in the NFL because he didn't score many TDs in college. I would strongly disagree with that opinion, but at least your opinion would be based on a fact.

Edited by 1billsfan

In their last season at UNC…

Eric Ebron 62 catches / 973 yards / 15.7 ypc

Vernon Davis 51 catches / 871 yards / 17.1 ypc

Little production? You don't have to make stuff up. Just say that you don't think he'll score TDs in the NFL because he didn't score many TDs in college. I would strongly disagree with that opinion, but at least your opinion would be based on a fact.

I hardly think that I am making stuff up. Please see my post up stream comparing Ebron's production to that of Marqise Lee.

As for Davis, his first three NFL seasons looked like this:

20 catches 13.3 avg 3TD

52 catches 9.8 avg 4 TD

31 catches 11.5 avg 2 TD

He HAS had two monster seasons where he scored 13 TD, but those 1st three seasons would have people here in Bflo calling for Ebron's head if he produced similarly. I will admit that Ebron's college stats compare pretty evenly with those of Davis.

Question is, would you be happy to have Davis for the 9th pick in a deep draft? AND Couldn't you do better affecting your passing game with any of the top 5-6 WRs in this draft.

I am not a big Kelvin Benjamin fan, but he looks to be a better prospect, to me, than does Ebron. Banjamin could be as much of a TE as Ebron. He has better height, better production (in terms of TDs) and is almost as heavy.

I hardly think that I am making stuff up. Please see my post up stream comparing Ebron's production to that of Marqise Lee.

As for Davis, his first three NFL seasons looked like this:

20 catches 13.3 avg 3TD

52 catches 9.8 avg 4 TD

31 catches 11.5 avg 2 TD

He HAS had two monster seasons where he scored 13 TD, but those 1st three seasons would have people here in Bflo calling for Ebron's head if he produced similarly. I will admit that Ebron's college stats compare pretty evenly with those of Davis.

Question is, would you be happy to have Davis for the 9th pick in a deep draft? AND Couldn't you do better affecting your passing game with any of the top 5-6 WRs in this draft.

I am not a big Kelvin Benjamin fan, but he looks to be a better prospect, to me, than does Ebron. Banjamin could be as much of a TE as Ebron. He has better height, better production (in terms of TDs) and is almost as heavy.

I understand not being a fan of Ebron, but you are comparing him to WRs? Why? They could take a WR or a TE. If they take a WR at 9, it won't be a guy 6'0 like Lee regardless of his college stats, IMO. BTW, Tyler Eifert had 685 yds and 4 TDs his sr yr at ND. He was drafted in the 1st last yr. College offenses do not use the TE like the NFL does. Again, the NFL drafts guys based on their ability to translate to what they are running in their system at the NFL level. Not based just on what they did in their college offense. Edited by YoloinOhio