Astro-Mock: 31 Days Away

I loathe Ebron at 9.

Sorry but i do .

Much rather have Robinson Matthews or Evans even.

The Hyde pick in the third .. i would love that !

Sam had a poor combine and doesnt fit well .

The saty away froms you listed Astro are very well sorted though

How do you know Hairstons good to go. I have seen one tweet that suggests it.

Probably using his unknown condition as a smokescreen for whom we pick first or second round :blush:

Hyde's the real deal.

As RB Analyst at DraftTek I watch for several extra things on each prospect:

1. How is his vision? Where are his eyes before the snap, at the snap, at the exchange, in the hole?
  2. Does he dance in the backfield? Or does he shy away from contact?
  3. How's their zero to sixty? Do they use patience (a flaw of Spiller's BTW), then explosion?
  4. Is their quickness one of their best assets? Speed is fine but darting quicks, jump-cuts, jukes etc. rule.
  5. Are they a willing and aware pass blocker? Can they cross sides to block? Where/how do they hit the rusher? Can he block downfield after a fake handoff, or does he just stop and look where the ball is?
  6. Are his pads square? Are they under their pads? How's balance?
  7. Can he squeak through small creases? Can he make defenders miss? Can he break tackles, especially arm tackles?
  8. Is what I'm seeing the work of the RB or the OL?
  9. Are the defenders hesitating? Is the RB making this happen? How's 2nd gear: Is there increased separation between RB and defender when there RB gets an opening?
  10. How is ball security? How is he holding and transferring the ball?
  11. What happens right before contact? Does he lower his pads/helmet to punish the defender, or shy away from contact? Does he minimize his surface area to mitigate the impact on him?
  12. How's the wear on his tires? e.g., Terrence West carried the ball 413 times, Devonta Freeman 144 times. They have similar receiving abilities, but I'd go with Freeman. Grice, Storm Johnson, and Wilder also have low tread wear.
  13. Is he in there on 3rd down, or do they take him out? Can he block? Chip? swing out and catch the ball? Turn upfield quick upon catch? Do they run a decent angle route vs a linebacker?
  14. What else do they do? Are they a return man? Can they pass? Are they on special teams? Hands crew for onside kicks?

I'm in the Sankey-Hyde camp. None of the others should be taken in RD2. Jeremy Hill, Mason, AWilliams, and Seastrunk will go in the Top 100 picks.

As well you should be. The Bills have a long history of blowing first round picks.

I hope you are wrong but I also fear this temptation. The Bills have no business considering anything besides OL or WR/TE with the first two picks, in any order. The need a premium OL prospect with one of these picks, preferably a tackle. I think the may have set themselves up reasonably well this offseason for a trade down in round 1 that could still yield them what they need plus another premium pick.

Edited by MDFan

Hyde's the real deal.

1. How is his vision? Where are his eyes before the snap, at the snap, at the exchange, in the hole?

3. How's their zero to sixty? Do they use patience (a flaw of Spiller's BTW), then explosion?

4. Is their quickness one of their best assets? Speed is fine but darting quicks, jump-cuts, jukes etc. rule.

5. Are they a willing and aware pass blocker? Can they cross sides to block? Where/how do they hit the rusher? Can he block downfield after a fake handoff, or does he just stop and look where the ball is?

7. Can he squeak through small creases? Can he make defenders miss? Can he break tackles, especially arm tackles?

9. Are the defenders hesitating? Is the RB making this happen? How's 2nd gear: Is there increased separation between RB and defender when there RB gets an opening?

11. What happens right before contact? Does he lower his pads/helmet to punish the defender, or shy away from contact? Does he minimize his surface area to mitigate the impact on him?

12. How's the wear on his tires? e.g., Terrence West carried the ball 413 times, Devonta Freeman 144 times. They have similar receiving abilities, but I'd go with Freeman. Grice, Storm Johnson, and Wilder also have low tread wear.

13. Is he in there on 3rd down, or do they take him out? Can he block? Chip? swing out and catch the ball? Turn upfield quick upon catch? Do they run a decent angle route vs a linebacker?

14. What else do they do? Are they a return man? Can they pass? Are they on special teams? Hands crew for onside kicks?

I'm in the Sankey-Hyde camp. None of the others should be taken in RD2. Jeremy Hill, Mason, AWilliams, and Seastrunk will go in the Top 100 picks.

Dude !

awesome really. Thanks for helping us .

As well you should be. The Bills have a long history of blowing first round picks.

I'm thinking RT, as they need a RT much more than a LG, RB or TE, IMO. ??

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

http://www.billsdaily.com/gameday/index.shtml

Chandler A-: The team would like to re-sign him but won't break the bank so he will likely go elsewhere for more money.

Smith B: Solid blocking tight end that will likely be back in the same role next season.

A defensive end in the 1st would make a lot of sense. After Clowney, Kony Ealy is a later 1st to 2nd round prospect. Good size and production. May be a difference maker. Might make sense to look to trade down into the mid 1st for Ealy then use the extra pick to look at RT as late as the 3rd round.

A defensive end in the 1st would make a lot of sense. After Clowney, Kony Ealy is a later 1st to 2nd round prospect. Good size and production. May be a difference maker. Might make sense to look to trade down into the mid 1st for Ealy then use the extra pick to look at RT as late as the 3rd round.

Not bad . They do need a 4-3 end with Jims method .

And we know Pears really struggled last year but does anyone know if there were mitigating circumstances (nagging injury ?) (play calling ) confusion on the line ) etc. seems he wast so awful the year before . Kind of a mauler actually. Was Urbik injured nicked up ? And with LG sucking wind protections were sliding all over for Woods ?

The the line works as a whole as we know. maybe RT is NOT the most and biggest position in need ?

But it does need depth and improvement and Pears is aging anyways.

JMHO...Hyde won't be there in round 3. I'd like to have him, but I think he's gone in round 2. I think I've made my thoughts about Ebron with the 9th pick widely known so I won't go into that here. Same with Lewan.

If they go your way with the first pick they are almost guaranteed to take a lineman in the second (aren't they?). I'd be satisfied with any of the 3 you mention.

Maybe Sam becomes one of those core special teamers who gets some situational looks.

I have a one word response to this nonsense.

Ha Ha

<edit> I do take exception to your comment about Sam sliding because he announced publicly that he is gay. His slide is due as much, if not more, to his weak combine numbers as anything else.

I'm not saying I like Clinton-Dix, but I think they could go DB at nine.

I would be so disappointed if that was the Bills' first pick. Ealy is not an option at 9. Further down, in tandem with a PLAYMAKER for the offense or protection so EJ can use his existing playmakers, then I won't jump off the ledge.

I like the Ebron and the Schofield picks. Not crazy about Sam - really don't care who he sleeps with just does not seem to fit the 4-3 and Hughes has the same skills. I am ok with a Guard at pick 41 but I would rather they made a move up for a Tackle or TE or down for extra picks. I do not agree on Lewan I like him at pick 9 if Ebron is not the guy. The reason I like Lewan is that he has very impressive mobility when pulling and the Bills have the RB's to capitalize on that he can also flip to LT in the event of injury. I do think we will see a RB in the mid rounds. I would take Webster- DE from tiny Bloomfield college with a late pick if we get another 6th round or the 7 round pick if he is still there. You know at least one DB is going to be drafted. At the end of the day after the equivalent of 8 rounds (including compensatory picks) I predict that a record number of undrafted free agents will make NFL rosters. Re: Lewan I think the fact that he is the third best tackle option is completely bogus. This is an exceptional year and cannot be compared to others. One more thing we need to hear that Hariston (spelling?) has passed his physical soon, If not they need to sign another veteran free agent.

Edited by Trader

I'm making my picks a month away. The closer we get to the fire, the more the smokescreens cloud one's vision! For each round, I've added a value pick (BPA left at that pick), one that makes too much sense, one pick made looking carefully at the roster, and a just say NO pick.

1 9 Buffalo Eric Ebron TE North Carolina – Top need is tall red-zone playmaker. Check.

value: Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M – If a QB like Manziel or Bortles slides, consider.

sense: C.J. Mosley ILB Alabama – Long-term solution but he’s more Alonso than Spikes

sense: Anthony Barr DE43 UCLA –Bills won’t use RD1 on D, but Schwartz wants Wide-9DEs

roster: Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix FS – Waste of a top 10 pick, but you lost a Pro Bowler at S

say-no:Taylor Lewan LOT Michigan – sliding Cordy to RT/ LG not justified, Lewan a RD3 RT

2 41 Buffalo David Yankey OG Stanford 2nd need is LG. Check.

value: Yankey.

sense: Zack Martin OG Notre – If Yankey wasn’t there at 41, Martin can play OG/RT

roster: Shayne Skov ILB Stanford – Skov is more like Spikes than Alonso, pairs perfectly

say-no: Morgan Moses LOT Virginia – More likely LT/RG than RT/LG

3 73 Buffalo Carlos Hyde RBF Ohio State

value: Richardson WRF Colorado / Moncrief WRF - Both falling to 73 is amazing

sense: Hyde. FJax’s contract is up in 2015, and he’d be the thunder to Spiller’s lightning

roster: Brandon Thomas OG Clemson – If you go elsewhere in RD2 then OG here is best bet

say-no: Yawin Smallwood ILB Connecticut – a reach here, 2nd LB not as vital in this defense

4 109 Buffalo Michael Sam DE43 Missouri – Falls due to coming out as gay but a fiery team guy

value: Anthony Johnson DT43 LSU – Fewer teams need DT43 this year, so he drops a round

sense: Zach Mettenberger QB LSU – Same build as EJ, less mobile, mechanics > than ‘12

roster: Joel Bitonio ROT Nevada – A great choice if RT isn’t filled earlier (or by Hairston)

say-no: De'Anthony Thomas RBC – Has ST/ WRS/ ATH potential but has no true position

5 149 Buffalo Michael Schofield ROT Michigan –RT compet. fopr Hairston or 2nd DE43.

value: Lache Seastrunk RBF Baylor – Still need 2015 replacement for Spiller even if you take Hyde

sense: Ross Cockrell CB Duke – Bills have been bringing in d-backfield, Cockrell included

roster: Cody Latimer WRF Indiana – Even though 12 WRs are on roster, depth left says take 1

say-no: Tyler Larsen OC Utah State – Eric Wood has no backup or heir, but use OG on roster

7 224 Buffalo Cassius Marsh DE43 UCLA – Only 2 DE43’s on roster, Sam and Marsh are depth

value: Colt Lyerla TE Oregon – risk-reward is huge here, but by far the greatest value at 224

sense: Devonta Freeman RBC Florida State – best blitz pickup in the draft, decent receiver

roster: Nickoe Whitley FS Mississippi –would likely be there in UDFA

say-no: Marquis Spruill OLB43 Syracuse – Marrone knows him, backup to Rivers, but a big reach

Well, to be honest, there is nothing about this list that excites me. Maybe Ebron proves to be a stud, but I'm not are the Bills need him (compared to other needs).

Hyde's the real deal.

whatever your sim tells you, he won't be there for our third pick IMO.

I'm not saying I like Clinton-Dix, but I think they could go DB at nine.

Sorry, I was just messing around.

I'm making my picks a month away. The closer we get to the fire, the more the smokescreens cloud one's vision! For each round, I've added a value pick (BPA left at that pick), one that makes too much sense, one pick made looking carefully at the roster, and a just say NO pick.

1 9 Buffalo Eric Ebron TE North Carolina Top need is tall red-zone playmaker. Check.

value: Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M If a QB like Manziel or Bortles slides, consider.

sense: C.J. Mosley ILB Alabama Long-term solution but hes more Alonso than Spikes

sense: Anthony Barr DE43 UCLA Bills wont use RD1 on D, but Schwartz wants Wide-9DEs

roster: Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix FS Waste of a top 10 pick, but you lost a Pro Bowler at S

say-no:Taylor Lewan LOT Michigan sliding Cordy to RT/ LG not justified, Lewan a RD3 RT

2 41 Buffalo David Yankey OG Stanford 2nd need is LG. Check.

value: Yankey.

sense: Zack Martin OG Notre If Yankey wasnt there at 41, Martin can play OG/RT

roster: Shayne Skov ILB Stanford Skov is more like Spikes than Alonso, pairs perfectly

say-no: Morgan Moses LOT Virginia More likely LT/RG than RT/LG

3 73 Buffalo Carlos Hyde RBF Ohio State

value: Richardson WRF Colorado / Moncrief WRF - Both falling to 73 is amazing

sense: Hyde. FJaxs contract is up in 2015, and hed be the thunder to Spillers lightning

roster: Brandon Thomas OG Clemson If you go elsewhere in RD2 then OG here is best bet

say-no: Yawin Smallwood ILB Connecticut a reach here, 2nd LB not as vital in this defense

4 109 Buffalo Michael Sam DE43 Missouri Falls due to coming out as gay but a fiery team guy

value: Anthony Johnson DT43 LSU Fewer teams need DT43 this year, so he drops a round

sense: Zach Mettenberger QB LSU Same build as EJ, less mobile, mechanics > than 12

roster: Joel Bitonio ROT Nevada A great choice if RT isnt filled earlier (or by Hairston)

say-no: De'Anthony Thomas RBC Has ST/ WRS/ ATH potential but has no true position

5 149 Buffalo Michael Schofield ROT Michigan RT compet. fopr Hairston or 2nd DE43.

value: Lache Seastrunk RBF Baylor Still need 2015 replacement for Spiller even if you take Hyde

sense: Ross Cockrell CB Duke Bills have been bringing in d-backfield, Cockrell included

roster: Cody Latimer WRF Indiana Even though 12 WRs are on roster, depth left says take 1

say-no: Tyler Larsen OC Utah State Eric Wood has no backup or heir, but use OG on roster

7 224 Buffalo Cassius Marsh DE43 UCLA Only 2 DE43s on roster, Sam and Marsh are depth

value: Colt Lyerla TE Oregon risk-reward is huge here, but by far the greatest value at 224

sense: Devonta Freeman RBC Florida State best blitz pickup in the draft, decent receiver

roster: Nickoe Whitley FS Mississippi would likely be there in UDFA

say-no: Marquis Spruill OLB43 Syracuse Marrone knows him, backup to Rivers, but a big reach

This is my fear. I'm not interested in any of the players on that list at #9.

I'd rather "reach" for Kony Ealy then take the guaranteed disappointment that is CJ Mosely.

If I had to pick one it would be Barr. I'd bring my strength and conditioning coach with me to NYC and jam some protein shakes down his throat and stick him in the weight room immediately after he were drafted. 15 reps in the combine. What a joke.

BTW just leave the QBs off the list OBD has been pretty clear they ain't taking one in the 1st.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Hyde's the real deal.

Hyde has shown he can and wants to put a team on his back when needed. He could be Fred's future replacement, if they choose to take a RB that high. f Carlos Hyde played for the Bills, I would be on cloud 9.