Trip to Ireland . . . . advice needed.

B-Man

If you're getting pickpocketed, then you aren't that savvy. :P

Also, I guess that should be one bit of advice... don't stand out. And don't dress rich. Maybe I don't get pick pocketed because I'm pretty homely when I travel. ;)

Edit: I should say, I'm not saying that money belts are bad. I just think they are unnecessary in many places. Go for it, if it makes you feel safe. I used one on my first overseas trip. But haven't in the ones since. :)

have you ever encountered a group of Tinkers? Many are quite skilled taking your wallet from you without you knowing

I wish it were true that pickpockets were in third world countries, but London, Dublin and other European cities are hotbeds for pickpockets. I have a comfortable holder that goes around my neck for passport, cards and cash. I actually caught a pickpocket in the act on the Metro in London. Eastern European guy. Keep a copy of your passports in your luggage as it will make life easier if yours is stolen. Check phone coverage options carefully. If in Dublin go to the Duke pub and sign up for the literary pub crawl...I agree that a day or two driving through the country will be a wonderful experience. Have fun!!

have you ever encountered a group of Tinkers? Many are quite skilled taking your wallet from you without you knowing

My nature is to stay away from groups of strangers haha

You guys must walk around looking like tourists. ;)

Can't add much, but will reiterate some very important items

1 - Don't use your debit car ever unless you're at an ATM. There's a difference between identity theft of a credit card and theft of an ATM card. Even if the bank does reimburse what you had in your checking/savings, it won't happen overnight. So don't even bother.

2- Bring two or more credit cards with you and alert them that you're going overseas. See if you and your wife each have a card from the same account (say you have an American Express card, and your wife has an extra card on the same account) but with different numbers on them. The reason this is important is because if you're card gets lost or stolen, her card will still be good. If they have the same number, make sure you have an extra card from other accounts in case you lose one.

3. You can buy adapters on Amazon essentially in bulk, and it's worth it. Get a five-pack or 10-pack, and as long as the reviews are okay, don't hesitate buying the ones that are $2 or $3 each. I bought a 10-pack for my wife last year for her trip to Germany and she was like the tooth fairy handing them to people who forgot or lost theirs.

Edited by LABillzFan

Oh, on the ATM front... if you use them, stick to major banks, preferably ones that require you to swipe your bank card to get in. The little independent/no name ones attached drug stores and the like, are more likely to have skimmers.

I may have gotten bit in the ass on that one once. :(

Oh, on the ATM front... if you use them, stick to major banks, preferably ones that require you to swipe your bank card to get in. The little independent/no name ones attached drug stores and the like, are more likely to have skimmers.

That goes for anywhere. I never use those stand alone ATMs; you have no idea who operates those machines.

I want to thank everyone for the sound advice.........................and for the unsound also :lol:

I have already acted on some.........made my passport copies, notified banks/cards

borrowed a "converter" from my neighbor.

I'll work on the rest when we get closer.

Thanks again.........................................if anyone has any other tips...let me know.

If it doesn't have brail on the number pad, it's a skimmer.

We have been in the UK a lot. Ireland a few times but it's cool.

First know the conversion rates inside out. Cabby's are the best at trying to rip you off with cash transactions.

Ireland love it Cork, Dublin.

Scotland----- I heard once they make Scotch there

England London, Leeds, Liverpool, Oxford

All of the above towns have serious drinking problems, which is a plus. Going to the local pubs is best. Binge drinking is a science there since last call is so early. Very weird. Room temp beer, we'll after the first one it's all good.

But, after hour clubs have been the rage for decades. But you usually have to be a member. Sometimes not a bad idea if a kick ass band is there.

Bring rain gear

When I got my first Guinness I was surprised how cold it was. I asked about the whole room temperature thing and was told "not Guinness". They have strict rules about the correct temperature to serve it at and they have crews that go around to every pub once a month to test, clean the lines etc to make sure it's as close to perfect as possible.

Are you arriving in Dublin or Shannon? Shannon used to be big, but now most flights go into Dublin. Shannon puts you right into what you may expect Ireland to look like. Galway and Kerry are to the S. Dublin is a big gritty city. Reminds me of S Buffalo in the 50's. A lot ls will depend on what direction are you interested in heading? We prefer the West & South, but it's all pretty nice.

Take a good raincoat and some shoes that will keep your feet dry in the rain. I've never seen it rain really hard there, but the drizzle will wear you down if you can't stay dry.

Are you arriving in Dublin or Shannon? Shannon used to be big, but now most flights go into Dublin. Shannon puts you right into what you may expect Ireland to look like. Galway and Kerry are to the S. Dublin is a big gritty city. Reminds me of S Buffalo in the 50's. A lot ls will depend on what direction are you interested in heading? We prefer the West & South, but it's all pretty nice.

Take a good raincoat and some shoes that will keep your feet dry in the rain. I've never seen it rain really hard there, but the drizzle will wear you down if you can't stay dry.

Actually Galway is to the north. If you go there be sure to visit the Aran Islands and Sligo (Yeats country) From Shannon you can easily get to the Cliffs of Moher (a kind of must see). I disagree on Dublin...great city for pub crawling (temple bar) wonderful people. The If Shannon, I'd go south to Kilkenny and the ring of Dingle, work my way east to Glendaloch (my spelling is probably off) to Dublin-then to Belfast, Antrim, Sligo Galway, Aran Islands.

So many cool places in Ireland. Only place i can say i WOULD NOT stay is Adare Manor near Limerick. Did not like that place at all. Expensive, rooms were beat up and furnishings just nasty.

As an aside, we did the Dingle Pennisula instead of Ring of Kerry due to time constraints, and it was beautiful as well.

Last, loved the village of Kinsale in the South. Low key, not a huge tourist mecca, just a great 2 days there

We did 3 days in Dublin (with a drive south to Glendalough, Wicklow, Powerscourt Estate including several filming locations for Excalibur), then rented a car and drove west. We stayed in Galway and did a 1 day loop up into Joyce Country (Connemara, Clifden, Kylemore Abbey, Cong Abbey) and then a drive to Limerick/Shannon that included The Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle. So much more to see & do.