Lt. Gov Say's Bill's only NY Team

I've always thought the ones who should be really annoyed by the Giants and Jets is New Jersey. Seriously, you both play in our state, but we're not good enough to use our name (no matter how true that is).

But hey, I'm sure they make good money from the deal and the NY draw ($$$) is what everyone is going for.

I've always thought the ones who should be really annoyed by the Giants and Jets is New Jersey. Seriously, you both play in our state, but we're not good enough to use our name (no matter how true that is).

But hey, I'm sure they make good money from the deal and the NY draw ($$$) is what everyone is going for.

Chris Christie agrees with you

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000239207/article/chris-christie-ny-giants-jets-are-new-jersey-teams

Excerpt from the above link: "There's nothing left from New York about the Giants or the Jets, except for the name."

Bills have been New York's only football team since 1984

I've always been a firm believer that the Bill's are the only NY team. Instead of the NY Giants or NY Jets, they should be called the NJ Giants and NJ Jets.

I was glad to hear the LT. Gov state that very fact in the press conference yesterday.

http://www.buffalobi...57-efcbf047e811 3:30 into the conference.

Rich

Ill buy his bull **** when the money quits going to NJ and goes to the NY Bills

I've always thought the ones who should be really annoyed by the Giants and Jets is New Jersey.

My understanding of this is that New Jerseyites in the north of the state are used to living in the shadow of NYC and the ones in the south are Eagles fans.

Wait a second- who is Bill and how did he get NY's only team?

Forget Bill. Who's Say?

My understanding of this is that New Jerseyites in the north of the state are used to living in the shadow of NYC and the ones in the south are Eagles fans.

Correct. There are many many people in N NJ who identify more with NY than NJ. Jersey just happens to be the place where their houses are.

Correct. There are many many people in N NJ who identify more with NY than NJ. Jersey just happens to be the place where their houses are.

I told someone in Bridgeport, CT that Conneticut is a suburb of NYC. They didn't find it as funny as I did.

Ill buy his bull **** when the money quits going to NJ and goes to the NY Bills

The Bills would have enough money for a stadium if the NY gov't didn' t build, Yankee stadium, Mets stadium, Barkley Center, & what ever support they give to NJ to keep the NY name on 2 teams ..

But as usual we got to spend all that tax money on the money pit better known as "THE BIG APPLE" !!

SAME AS IT EVER WAS !!!

Edited by T master

The Bills would have enough money for a stadium if the NY gov't didn' t build, Yankee stadium, Mets stadium, Barkley Center, & what ever support they give to NJ to keep the NY name on 2 teams ..

But as usual we got to spend all that tax money on the money pit better known as "THE BIG APPLE" !!

SAME AS IT EVER WAS !!!

You are completely correct in your knowledge that NYC draws a huge amount of the state's attention and tax revenue compared to Buffalo.

However, you also should acknowledge that such a result is no unreasonable for those of us who ascribe to ideas like democracy and do not feel bad when the largest population center in the state NYC with 8.3 million gets more $ than the second largest city of Buffalo which is below 300,000 and shrinking.

In fact, when you figure that the raw level of incomes generated by the fat cats in Wall st. may well skew the NYC share of revenue produced even higher, and the political power advantage in NYS that our swing area of WNY provides in the balanced fight between NYC and its Long Island and upstate suburbs then you might understand on a relative level WNY is set-up in a manner that provides a lot of benefits to WNY which others do not have.

You are completely correct in your knowledge that NYC draws a huge amount of the state's attention and tax revenue compared to Buffalo.

However, you also should acknowledge that such a result is no unreasonable for those of us who ascribe to ideas like democracy and do not feel bad when the largest population center in the state NYC with 8.3 million gets more $ than the second largest city of Buffalo which is below 300,000 and shrinking.

In fact, when you figure that the raw level of incomes generated by the fat cats in Wall st. may well skew the NYC share of revenue produced even higher, and the political power advantage in NYS that our swing area of WNY provides in the balanced fight between NYC and its Long Island and upstate suburbs then you might understand on a relative level WNY is set-up in a manner that provides a lot of benefits to WNY which others do not have.

Good Post, I agree.

On this point

http://www.rockinst.org/pdf/nys_government/2011-12-Giving_and_Getting.pdf

"New York City and the Downstate Suburbs “give” far more to Albany in taxes and other revenues than they “get” in state-funded expenditures. The Capital Region and the Rest of State, by contrast, get significantly more than they give. These conclusions hold under any of several alternative methodologies this study employs for regional allocation of the personal income tax and selected expenditures."

"By this analysis, New York City’s share of state revenue payments is around 45 percent, and it receives 40 percent of ex- penditures. The Downstate Suburbs provide roughly 27 percent of taxes and other revenues, nearly 10 percentage points more than they receive in aid for education, health care, state payroll, and other expenditures. By contrast, the Rest of State region provides 24 percent of the revenues and receives 35 percent of expenditures."

They also comment that out of staters who pay taxes in NYS generate 5 billion of revenue. I would suspect the majority of that is in NYC. And those in the NYC surrounding "downstate" suburbs probably generate most of their revenue in NYC.

On this point

http://www.rockinst.org/pdf/nys_government/2011-12-Giving_and_Getting.pdf

"New York City and the Downstate Suburbs “give” far more to Albany in taxes and other revenues than they “get” in state-funded expenditures. The Capital Region and the Rest of State, by contrast, get significantly more than they give. These conclusions hold under any of several alternative methodologies this study employs for regional allocation of the personal income tax and selected expenditures."

"By this analysis, New York City’s share of state revenue payments is around 45 percent, and it receives 40 percent of ex- penditures. The Downstate Suburbs provide roughly 27 percent of taxes and other revenues, nearly 10 percentage points more than they receive in aid for education, health care, state payroll, and other expenditures. By contrast, the Rest of State region provides 24 percent of the revenues and receives 35 percent of expenditures."

They also comment that out of staters who pay taxes in NYS generate 5 billion of revenue. I would suspect the majority of that is in NYC. And those in the NYC surrounding "downstate" suburbs probably generate most of their revenue in NYC.

Many thanks for supplying some real facts (at least likely real as far as I can tell- since like most "facts"- even if accepted as true by differing ideological parties, the same facts can lead to differing conclusions based on an assessment of their relevance in differing ideological opinions).

The conclusion which I think can most reasonably be drawn from the facts you give are that:

1. If one wanted to accurately describe a section of the state as a sinkhole which gets far more in tax revenue than it provides, it actually is the Albany region rather than NYC as assumed in an earlier post. This actually simply makes a lot of sense as the allocation decisions are generally made by staff who live in the Albany region (though theoretically at the direction of legislators who are based in other regions).

2. Buffalo and WNY actually gets more than it gives on taxes and expenditures by NYS. My GUESS as to the reasons for this are myriad buy prominent among them is that this region faced a real economic downturn in the 60s-90s which simply demanded more subsidy and that the WNY are has disproportional electoral heft compared to its relative population size due to the GOP/Dems being a close stalemate between NYC and downstate suburbs.

3. It is ironic to say the least that some hold a conventional wisdom that some hold the view stated above as :But as usual we got to spend all that tax money on the money pit better known as "THE BIG APPLE" !!

SAME AS IT EVER WAS !!!

when many seemingly credible fact based statements show that virtually the opposite is true and WNY benefits substantially (but not as disproportionately as the Albany region) from WNY sucking more money than it contributes in taxes.

the Big Apple as a take is in general not the way it always has been but there is a case to be made that it would be more equitable and fair if it were.

Queens native Governor Andrew Cuomo has said the same thing. Former Governor George Pataki also said the same thing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am sometimes in NYC on business and there's TONS of people down there who do not follow the Giants or Jets simply because they play in New Jersey. I tell these people that I'm from Syracuse and geographically/naturally a fan of the Buffalo Bills. "They're New York's only NFL team." these NYC people say.

The Buffalo Bills should expand their market base to NYC proclaiming the Bills as "New York State's only NFL team." I have no doubt that the Bills will sell down there.

Or at least start calling them the "Buffalo, New York Bills".