The end of yoga pants in school ?

I am fine with this. Kids don't need to be wearing this stuff to class because they're often see thru, revealing and end up being an all out bad situation. In general with women it is not the 5-10% that look good or great in them, it is the 90% that look like stuffed sausage in them.

Can't the school handle this more discreetly?

Edit: some grumpy teacher yells at this girl, sends her to the principal, and then they call her mom in... All for yoga pants.

Just pull her aside and quietly mention the policy and this doesn't become a news story and the girl probably doesn't have to feel bad about herself.

It sounds like the parents are the ones who made this a big deal. School dress code policies are usually very specific, and consistently enforced. I think these policies are very important because it is amazing to me how some idiot parent dress their little girls for school. It's disgusting.

I remember a class I took in collegel about ethics/media and we discussed clothing in schools.

Here's an interesting little tidbit that I learned. No public school has ever won a case when taken to court about what their child is wearing in school. If it's a public school, it's a violation of the students first amendment rights to enforce a dress code and I believe there is precedent, if I remember correctly.

Saying all that, I think parents need to pay more attention to what their children wear.

If someone called me and told me that I had to leave work and come to school to deliver a pair of pants and that my child was sitting in the principals office, I would make this a big deal too.

It amazes me how often schools create PR issues and turn minor issues into major ones. It is often because teachers are used to bossing kids (and parents) around and principals treat minor rules like they are the Ten Commandments.

I bet you this would have been a non-issue and appropriately resolved by pulling the girl aside and then sending a note home or making a call to the parent.

If you send your child to school in inappropriate clothing, then you deserve to have to leave work to bring a change of clothes. In most cases, these policies are reviewed with parents and students at the beginning of the school year, and most times parents have to sign that they understand student rights/expectations.

I wouldn't send my daughter to school in yoga pants (with her little mid-section on display), and if I did, I wouldn't be surprised to get a phone call. It's just inappropriate.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Policies schmolicies. I don't disagree that it might be inappropriate to wear yoga pants to school. People do inappropriate things all the time in every kind of setting (school, work, etc.).

The way you respond to it is oftentimes more important than the inappropriate behavior. If I am the superintendent of this school district, I am ticked off. The last thing I want is a story on the front page of yahoo about anything in my schools. The way you avoid that is to not be stupid about how you enforce rules, and open yourself up to PR gaffes.

Not every rule has to be enforced like its a ten commandment. This was totally unimportant, and could have been remedied by a much more sensible, discrete reaction.

So schools should not enforce their rules for fear that some moron parent is going to run to the local news?

No, this child wasn't really harming anyone, but what was school staff supposed to do? Allow the girl to finish the school day with her goods hanging out?

Looks like we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one Jr.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Why don't they teach other students to respect their peers, no matter what they wear? I've always been confused by the idea that we teach girls/women that they have to wear loose, baggy, or whatever clothing, because if they don't, they'll distract their male counterparts. All this does is reinforce the idea that boys/men are animals that cannot be controlled.

Tights/spandex aren't exactly new. I remember much of it being worn in the 80s/90s, heh.

her thigh area was showing

the thigh area, then the leggings are acceptable. The dress code reads, “Leggings/jeggings outer garment must be appropriate length with no thigh showing.” In a picture given to WAVY.com, it is clear Hailey’s shirt does not cover the thigh area.

So the pants were OK she just needed a longer shirt to wear

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

All this does is reinforce the idea that boys/men are animals that cannot be controlled.

It's somewhat true though. I spend all day driving around in my truck staring down at all the cleavage possible.

Men are pervs. Monogamy is boring. 72% of men cheat 54% of women do also alledgedly according to this podcast I listened to yesterday.

Of course we're pervs. So are women. Yet men are somehow excused from it. We're taught it's ok to act out of control, and to be total dogs. Women, on the other hand, are taught to be well behaved, reserved, and defensive.

It'd be nice to just teach everyone respect, instead.

Of course we're pervs. So are women. Yet men are somehow excused from it. We're taught it's ok to act out of control, and to be total dogs. Women, on the other hand, are taught to be well behaved, reserved, and defensive.

It'd be nice to just teach everyone respect, instead.

Can we still cheat?

her thigh area was showing

the thigh area, then the leggings are acceptable. The dress code reads, “Leggings/jeggings outer garment must be appropriate length with no thigh showing.” In a picture given to WAVY.com, it is clear Hailey’s shirt does not cover the thigh area.

So the pants were OK she just needed a longer shirt to wear

Exactly! I am glad somebody else picked up on it.

I assume that is why she never had an issue before with the pants...

I wore a shirt and tie every day to school and turned out just fine. It makes no difference what you wear IMO

On another note:

Ties are breeding grounds for germs/nasty stuff. They seldomed get cleaned... I read somewhere that they are trying to discourage doctors from wearing them.

I wore a shirt and tie every day to school and turned out just fine. It makes no difference what you wear IMO

If I had worn assless chaps, nipple clamps, and a ball-gag every day to school, I am sure it would have had a profound effect on my life.

On another note:

Ties are breeding grounds for germs/nasty stuff. They seldomed get cleaned... I read somewhere that they are trying to discourage doctors from wearing them.

Interesting. I was a waiter/bartender for about 10 years throughout high school/college/grad school. The owner made us wear a specific tie that matched our "uniform," and he only gave us one. I must have worn that thing over 1,000 times without washing it once.