Has there ever been a darker time in Buffalo sports history?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph was a HOFer who lived to 95. We have a lot to be grateful for and good reason to believe the team remains viable.

Watching the greatest athlete in the city's history go through rd. 2 with cancer is a different story. But he is still with us.

All I know is that the Sabres have no place to go but up and come hell or high water, I'll be planning the menu for 8 games in the parking lot. Let's say goodbye to the 20s and 30s and get our Spring on as this crappy, crappy Winter did nobody any favors to brighten the mood. Now Ralph, just make sure we have 75 and sunny when 70K plus chant your name on opening day this year ;)

I think the OJ fiasco was pretty bad too. Due to a one night murdering spree we pretty much have seen zero clips and will never see them again of the best athlete ever to play in Buffalo.

Even worse...we got Kato Kaelin.

Wide right is still the low point until/unless the team is moved.

Nonsense. That was a glorious failure. Superbowl XXVII was much, much lower.

But this is lower still. I saw "Wide Right" on some of the Ralph Wilson stories last night, and it didn't even have the same impact it usually does (i.e. I didn't stand up and lean left, thinking that maybe this time it'll go through. Don't lie...you all do it too.)

The morning after the 4th Super Bowl loss was pretty brutal

3rd one was topped it for me. I remember being 10 and crying when Reich went in

I can't think of a more deserving fan base in all the world to get a championship than Buffalo. With what the Sabres are going through (record, loss of miller, Lafontaine, etc..) and the uncertainty of the Bills remaining in Buffalo, I have a hard time come up with a more depressing atmosphere around these parts. I have said from day one that as long as we have the Bills stay in Buffalo, I will be happy. Would it be great to have a Super Bowl? Sure, but the thought of taking away the communal atmosphere that takes place on Sundays would honestly be heart breaking (and I mean that in the truest sense of the words.) Let's all put some positive vibes out there and pray that some good investors start appearing in in WNY.

I remember a Lions season ticket holder telling me when they win, the fans will riot and burn down the city and rebuild it into a champion.

I can picture us doing the same!

When we eventually relocate...that will leave a mark.

I guess when you're 40 and still live in your parents basement....typing stuff like this makes you feel cool

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Dark times? This is probably about it for me. I just keep thinking of how sweet it's going to be when we finally win! Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, just delusional, or drunk. It's been tough to be a Buffalo sports fan lately, but no one can ever accuse us of jumping on the bandwagon or being fair weather fans when things turn around! Where would you rather be than right here right now? Right...?

These are pretty low times, no question. Probably the worst in my memory.

The Kelly thing does it for me. Mr. Wilson was 95 after all. He had a great, full life and you can't live forever. But Jim's illness, especially to hear what they're saying about it - "aggressive", "inoperable"... It's very tough to hear.

The Sabres future is actually brighter now than ever in history. We are finally rebuilding and not just retooling. We will soon have ELITE players on this team for the first time since Hasek and the French Connection. The Bills on the other hand are at the worst point in the history of its franchise IMO.

The Sabres future is actually brighter now than ever in history. We are finally rebuilding and not just retooling. We will soon have ELITE players on this team for the first time since Hasek and the French Connection. The Bills on the other hand are at the worst point in the history of its franchise IMO.

Not even close....1968, 1971, 1977, 1984-85.......The on field product is getting better and we seem to have a good GM again. Obviously there's the ownership issue but no way is this franchise at its worst point.

I don't see how the Sabres future is brighter. They are the worst team in hockey and need to make a lot of right decisions in the coming years. No guarantees that happens.

Edited by nucci

I don't see the Bills moving. I think New York State is trying to re-hab its image with all these economic development incentives and I think they'll do what they have to to keep the only remaining New York based NFL team in New York(Jets and Giants both play in NJ). Given what Pegula is doing downtown and given the continuation of the development of the waterfront I can see the possibility of a new downtown stadium. Or a major rehab of the Ralph along the lines of what they did at soldier field. Either way I feel pretty confident about the team staying here

I don't see the Bills moving. I think New York State is trying to re-hab its image with all these economic development incentives and I think they'll do what they have to to keep the only remaining New York based NFL team in New York(Jets and Giants both play in NJ). Given what Pegula is doing downtown and given the continuation of the development of the waterfront I can see the possibility of a new downtown stadium. Or a major rehab of the Ralph along the lines of what they did at soldier field. Either way I feel pretty confident about the team staying here

Yup, I just can't see this team leaving and for all the reasons you stated above. I guess the question I would have is IF they ever did leave (and they won't), what are the chances Buffalo would get another team (like the Browns accomplished.)

It is always darkest just before the dawn. There is a new dawn coming, I can feel it in my bones! Be steadfast in supporting our beloved Bills. Otherwise, the past years of long suffering will have gone for naught. How sweet it will be when the diehard fans get to experience the pinnacle after seemingly endless years of devotion to this team!!

Recent article claims Ralph apologized to Thurman...not sure about Bruce and Reed.

I saw in Thurman's presser about Ralph he said the Ralph spoke to him about it and they made up.

But still I didnt like the way it went down, yea it was business but those were THE guys that were most responsible in getting the team to the Super Bowl.

Maybe Thurman and Dre didnt have much left to give but Bruce sure did.