Positional Needs

Astrobot

I've taken a look at the contracts at each position and it makes me think our positional needs will be shifting. Do you agree?

Contracts up in 2015

OT Eric Pears, Chris Hairston..............................RD1 or RD2, then one more in RD5-7

TE Lee Smith, Moeaki and Caussin....................RD1 or RD2, then one more in RD3-6

WR Hogan, Easley, Kaufman, Barden, Elliott.......RD1 or RD2, then one more in RD3-7

OG Roster is 10 interior guys, 6 are up in 2015..RD3 and UDFA

RB Jackson, Spiller, Dixon and Anthony Allen.....RD 3, 4, then UDFA

QB Thad Lewis, Dennis Dixon.............................RD 4, 5, 6, 7

FB Summers and Rodriguez................................RD 7 and/or UDFA

DE 2 DEs on roster, Mario (’18), Hughes(’15).....RD3 or 4, then one in 7-UDFA

S 6 on roster but Searcy is ’15, Leonhard is FA.RD1 or RD2, then one more in RD3-7

DT Bryant is 2015, says Dareus is 2016?............RD6-UDFA

CB 7 on roster, starters are ’17, ’17, ’18, ’16.......None

LB Roster = 10, starters are ’17, ’17, ’16, Spikes.None

ST Moorman and Sanborn are 2015. UDFA

Edited by Astrobot

Thanks for the research. Unfortunately you have more (4) positions that need round 1 or 2 needs then we have picks. I think based off of the fact that either there is a hole at the position or you can make a case that a key player could leave next year the Bills can pick best available player. I personally hope we take a wr ( I still remember passing up on Green and Jones for Darius and would hate to take an OT and miss out on a #1 again). I also would love to see a TE like Amaro or Seferian Jenkins slide to us in the second round. Then go LB DE OT OG over the rest of the draft Either way as Bills fans we have so many needs that any position is good fit, we just need to continue to build talent.

Round 1

S 6 on roster but Searcy is ’15, Leonhard is FA Pryor

OT Eric Pears, Chris Hairston Matthews

WR Hogan, Easley, Kaufman, Barden, Elliott Watkins

TE Lee Smith, Moeaki and Caussin. Ebron

Round 2

S 6 on roster but Searcy is ’15, Leonhard is FA ---

OT Eric Pears, Chris Hairston Moses, Tiny Richardson, Henderson

WR Hogan, Easley, Kaufman, Barden, Elliott Robinson, Matthews, Benjamin

TE Lee Smith, Moeaki and Caussin. Niklas

Round 3

DE 2 on the roster, Mario (’18), Hughes(’15). Jackson Jeffcoat, Chris Smith, Marcus Smith, Demarcus Lawrence

RB Jackson, Spiller, Dixon and Anthony Allen Hyde

OG Roster is 10 interior guys, 6 are up in 2015 Gabe Jackson, Dakota Dozier

S 6 on roster but Searcy is ’15, Leonhard is FA Deone Bucannon

OT Eric Pears, Chris Hairston Mewhort

WR Hogan, Easley, Kaufman, Barden, Elliott Bryant, Moncrief

TE Lee Smith, Moeaki and Caussin. Niklas?, Fiedorwicz

Round 4

DE 2 on the roster, Mario (’18), Hughes(’15). Kareem Martin

RB Jackson, Spiller, Dixon and Anthony Allen AWilliams, Seastrunk

S 6 on roster but Searcy is ’15, Leonhard is FA Dion Bailey

OT Eric Pears, Chris Hairston JaWuan James

WR Hogan, Easley, Kaufman, Barden, Elliott Mike Davis, Devin Street

TE Lee Smith, Moeaki and Caussin. Marcel Jensen

QB Thad Lewis, Dennis Dixon FA year is 2015. Mettenberger, Brett Smith,

Round 5

OT Eric Pears, Chris Hairston Joel Bitonio, Cameron Fleming

S 6 on roster but Searcy is ’15, Leonhard is FA Craig Loston, Ahmad Dixon,

WR Hogan, Easley, Kaufman, Barden, Elliott Devin Street , Cody Hoffman

TE Lee Smith, Moeaki and Caussin. Arthur Lynch, JoeDon Duncan

QB Thad Lewis, Dennis Dixon FA year is 2015. Tajh Boyd

Round 6

DT Bryant is 2015, says Dareus is 2016? Jay Bromley, Ryan Carrethers

TE Lee Smith, Moeaki and Caussin. Xavier Grimble, Rob Blanchflower

OT Eric Pears, Chris Hairston Michael Schofield

S 6 on roster but Searcy is ’15, Leonhard is FA Isaiah Lewis, Ty Zimmerman, Vinnie Sunseri

WR Hogan, Easley, Kaufman, Barden, Elliott Eric Ward, TJ Jones, Michael Campanaro

Round 7

FB Summers and Rodriguez FA year is 2015. Jay Prosch, Gator Hoskins

S 6 on roster but Searcy is ’15, Leonhard is FA Vinnie Sunseri

I've taken a look at the contracts at each position and it makes me think our positional needs will be shifting. Do you agree?

Contracts up in 2015

OT Eric Pears, Chris Hairston..............................RD1 or RD2, then one more in RD5-7

TE Lee Smith, Moeaki and Caussin....................RD1 or RD2, then one more in RD3-6

WR Hogan, Easley, Kaufman, Barden, Elliott.......RD1 or RD2, then one more in RD3-7

OG Roster is 10 interior guys, 6 are up in 2015..RD3 and UDFA

RB Jackson, Spiller, Dixon and Anthony Allen.....RD 3, 4, then UDFA

QB Thad Lewis, Dennis Dixon.............................RD 4, 5, 6, 7

FB Summers and Rodriguez................................RD 7 and/or UDFA

DE 2 DEs on roster, Mario (’18), Hughes(’15).....RD3 or 4, then one in 7-UDFA

S 6 on roster but Searcy is ’15, Leonhard is FA.RD1 or RD2, then one more in RD3-7

DT Bryant is 2015, says Dareus is 2016?............RD6-UDFA

CB 7 on roster, starters are ’17, ’17, ’18, ’16.......None

LB Roster = 10, starters are ’17, ’17, ’16, Spikes.None

ST Moorman and Sanborn are 2015. UDFA

The one thing I'm thinking about in conjunction with this info is roster space. So at rb, Dixon is a ST guy so if they draft someone do they have space to keep him on the active roster? Maybe a player will force them to make room, but I don't know if they would plan to draft someone in rounds 2-4 if they didn't have a roster spot available for them.

So I think you have room at OT, WR, TE, QB, DE, S.

Thanks for the research. Unfortunately you have more (4) positions that need round 1 or 2 needs then we have picks. I think based off of the fact that either there is a hole at the position or you can make a case that a key player could leave next year the Bills can pick best available player. I personally hope we take a wr ( I still remember passing up on Green and Jones for Darius and would hate to take an OT and miss out on a #1 again). I also would love to see a TE like Amaro or Seferian Jenkins slide to us in the second round. Then go LB DE OT OG over the rest of the draft Either way as Bills fans we have so many needs that any position is good fit, we just need to continue to build talent.

While I am still pondering this subject I want to remark on the bolded statement.

We can address these positions in free agency. While it would be nice to furnish every position with a 1st round pick we cannot realistic do that. I suppose we could trade lots of picks, money, and players to get 15 or 16 first round picks from other teams.

I do not remember who is will be a free agent in 2015 but there is a good chance we can at least address 1 or 2 positions with a talented free agent. (Edit: Free agents from other teams that we could add to our roster in 2015).

Edited by jboyst62

We still have a FA move or two to make, plus they can re-sign one or two (say, Leonhard). BPA that I'd take is Skov, or if Niklas dropped to the 3rd they'd take a look. Interesting that they are looking at AWilliams and Seastrunk among the RBs. I thought they would go thunder and lightning with Spiller-Hyde or Hill. I'm now trying to put names with the needs above.

While I am still pondering this subject I want to remark on the bolded statement.

We can address these positions in free agency. While it would be nice to furnish every position with a 1st round pick we cannot realistic do that. I suppose we could trade lots of picks, money, and players to get 15 or 16 first round picks from other teams.

I do not remember who is will be a free agent in 2015 but there is a good chance we can at least address 1 or 2 positions with a talented free agent.

In my OP I listed all of the guys who are FAs in 2015.

We still have a FA move or two to make, plus they can re-sign one or two (say, Leonhard). BPA that I'd take is Skov, or if Niklas dropped to the 3rd they'd take a look. Interesting that they are looking at AWilliams and Seastrunk among the RBs. I thought they would go thunder and lightning with Spiller-Hyde or Hill. I'm now trying to put names with the needs above.

In my OP I listed all of the guys who are FAs in 2015.

I meant for other teams, like what other TE's, OT's, etc will be on the market from other teams. Sorry for the confusion.

FanSpeak's Simulator now lets you choose whose Big Board you want to use. I like Drafttek's, of course, but Optimum Scouting is a good choice. Using the positionals in the OP, I went with

1-Jake Matthews RT

2-Calvin Pryor SS

3-Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE

4-Brandon Coleman WR

5-McCarron QB

6-Andre Williams RB

7-Gator Hoskins FB/TE

Edited by Astrobot

FanSpeak's Simulator now lets you choose whose Big Board you want to use. I like Drafttek's, of course, but Optimum Scouting is a good choice. Using the positionals in the OP, I went with

1-Jake Matthews RT

2-Calvin Pryor SS

4-Brandon Coleman WR

5-McCarron QB

6-Andre Williams RB

7-Gator Hoskins FB/TE

I would take that Draft in a heartbeat... :thumbsup:

Not sure about their Big Board's placement of AS-J ( who was there at 71) or some of the WRs.

Although they are deep at WR in the draft, the draft has only a handful of the bigger WRs. That pick will have to be by RD3 at the latest.

Other than at CB, I don't see our FA activity as changing the needs I perceive on the team, other than adding another hole at S. I still would have liked to see someone like Clements brought in there at safety who could effectively fill the hole,but the Bills seem poised to repeat the mistakes of last year by not doing the right thing. While Spikes was a good signing, I just see him as a situational player,not an every round LB solution for the future. I can not see using Round 1-4 picks on future needs, when you have immediate critical needs to fill first. Plug the leaks before the ship sinks and only when you have the leaks plugged do you try to rebuild the boat. A G and a RT. A ILB who can stuff the run AND cover the pass, a big tall TE or WR with sure hands. After that Williams RB in the 5th would be great. A QB in the 5th or 6th. A LDE in the 6th or 7th. Do you really think we could afford to keep a situational Hughes for what he does in 2015?

Not sure about their Big Board's placement of AS-J ( who was there at 71) or some of the WRs.

Although they are deep at WR in the draft, the draft has only a handful of the bigger WRs. That pick will have to be by RD3 at the latest.

Yeah, not so sure AS-J will be there in Round 3...

Top needs in order

#1- Franchise QB [not currently on roster] EJ will NEVER be that guy.

#2- O-Line [gave up 4th most sacks in league]

#3- TE [need a true #1, chandler is a #2]

#4- WR [need a true #1, stevie is a #2 and woods a #3]

#5- OLB/DE [need a stud opposite Mario]

1-Jake Matthews RT

2-Calvin Pryor SS

4-Brandon Coleman WR

5-McCarron QB

6-Andre Williams RB

7-Gator Hoskins FB/TE

ASJ lasting until the 3rd? hmmmmmph I don't know if I see it. Carolina, Arizona and NYJ might disagree with that.

Otherwise rather solid draft. Any guy named Gator is a win.

1-Jake Matthews RT

2-Calvin Pryor SS

4-Brandon Coleman WR

5-McCarron QB

6-Andre Williams RB

7-Gator Hoskins FB/TE

Can you get Drafttek on the list to choose from? They've added the other two...

1-Jake Matthews RT

2-Calvin Pryor SS

4-Brandon Coleman WR

5-McCarron QB

6-Andre Williams RB

7-Gator Hoskins FB/TE

Optimum gives me the kyle von noy first overall, top notch. I'm all for differing draft boards and the avoidance of group think but no point running a mock with ridiculous results like that.

Other than at CB, I don't see our FA activity as changing the needs I perceive on the team, other than adding another hole at S. I still would have liked to see someone like Clements brought in there at safety who could effectively fill the hole,but the Bills seem poised to repeat the mistakes of last year by not doing the right thing. While Spikes was a good signing, I just see him as a situational player,not an every round LB solution for the future. I can not see using Round 1-4 picks on future needs, when you have immediate critical needs to fill first. Plug the leaks before the ship sinks and only when you have the leaks plugged do you try to rebuild the boat. A G and a RT. A ILB who can stuff the run AND cover the pass, a big tall TE or WR with sure hands. After that Williams RB in the 5th would be great. A QB in the 5th or 6th. A LDE in the 6th or 7th. Do you really think we could afford to keep a situational Hughes for what he does in 2015?

I fully agree; I am not changing the Bills' Positional Needs here because of ANY signing they've made thus far, which have all been depth or stopgaps (Spikes is a great run defender, 1st on PFF's list of ILBs, but they'll pull him on 3rd and long--if they draft Skov in RD2 then Spikes' 1-year contract will look like genius).

Hughes is one of only two DEs on the roster, so I think there will be two DE's in this draft. Hughes is tailor-made for the Wide-9 DE that Schwartz uses on passing downs, and will be used in their "4-3 Under" (BillsDef.jpg

Schwartz drafted DTs with attitude and DEs early with Lions and Titans (Lions’ DT Ndamukong Suh, DT Fairley; Titans)

I fully agree; I am not changing the Bills' Positional Needs herebecause of ANY signing they've made thus far, which have all been depth or stopgaps (Spikes is a great run defender, 1st on PFF's list of ILBs, but they'll pull him on 3rd and long--if they draft Skov in RD2 then Spikes' 1-year contract will look like genius).

Hughes is one of only two DEs on the roster, so I think there will be two DE's in this draft. Hughes is tailor-made for the Wide-9 DE that Schwartz uses on passing downs, and will be used in their "4-3 Under" (BillsDef.jpg

Schwartz drafted DTs with attitude and DEs early with Lions and Titans (Lions’ DT Ndamukong Suh, DT Fairley; Titans)

Sorry, based on what I saw last year, the Duke can't play......pencil in the other guy.

Do you really think we could afford to keep a situation Hughes for what he does in 2015?

Not trying to be a smart-ass...But I think a better question is do you really think an NFL DC will be dumb enough to greatly change a players role when it resulted in 10 sacks the previous season? B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Not trying to be a smart-ass...But I think a better question is do you really think an NFL DC will be dumb enough to greatly change a players role when it resulted in 10 sacks the previous season? B-)

I was saying that Hughes was going to cost way too much to keep beyond this 2014 season for his very limited role as someone who just rushes the passer. Not saying he isn't good at that role, or that he should have the role changed this year, just that paying him what he will want next year for that role will just not be reasonable for the economics of the team as a whole after this year. We need to find a DE that is more balanced and fill more roles well. And with a rookie contract we could afford. Astro was talking about Hughes contract expiring in 2015 in his original post.

Edited by simpleman