Positional Needs

Astrobot

I was saying that Hughes was going to cost way too much to keep beyond this 2014 season for his very limited role as someone who just rushes the passer. Not saying he isn't good at that role, or that he should have the role changed this year, just that paying him what he will want next year for that role will just not be reasonable for the economics of the team as a whole after this year. We need to find a DE that is more balanced and fill more roles well. And with a rookie contract we could afford. Astro was talking about Hughes contract expiring in 2015 in his original post.

Ahhh...OK...My apologies... :thumbsup:

While I think pointing out contract status by position merits attention, it needs a few more steps to the process:

- who would the Bills want to keep (this years draft and free agents from this year and next may change that.

- who do they think they can sign for the price the Bills can live with

- who do they think would be difficult to resign.

I think we will have players who we will need or attempt to address this year before their contracts expire. Some won't sign and there are others the Bills will let play out their contracts before making a decision. Other than Hughes, I'm not sure I see anyone that we don't think we can work with. Even Hughes may be doable.

Based on this, I'm not sure if I feel this changes our needs in the upcoming draft. That is certainly different than saying we don't have needs.

One area where this does come into play...

Here's to hoping that the way things have been handled in the past have no bearing on what happens in this draft and with regards to future contracts and free agency. I'm hoping that past drafts have no bearing on determining picks now or in the future. And that pending free agency contracts and mistakes are a thing of the past, that we can lock people up early and spend within reason. Every team let's people walk, it's the nature of free agency, but let's hope they make smart attempts at preventing this.

I think we all agree that Levitre was not worth close to the paycheck he got and that we didn't seem to plan all that well in filling the hole. What I don't know is how big of a push was made behind the scenes to try to extend him early, or if they tried to find someone to fill the hole? I realize what we have learned from the press and other sources, I just like to pretend that there was more to this and other stories that will never be known. I just find it hard to accept that we have made so many bad decisions over the last decade plus. While I do understand that in several cases the truth is out there and accurate. I just wish is wasn't the case. I love this team and will follow them to the day I die. While I am often hard on them I always find myself making excuses in my own head for them. "It's hard at times to root for the Bills in the NFL."

Go Bills!