Have you seen the 2015 FA WR group?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You wouldn't take Julio Jones or Torrey Smith?

maybe Smith. Would never even think about Jones. Not a fan of his. I'd rather have White than Jones and White is just too old now (not really old but too old for a ridiculous FA contract).

maybe Smith. Would never even think about Jones. Not a fan of his. I'd rather have White than Jones and White is just too old now (not really old but too old for a ridiculous FA contract).

Maybe it wouldn't be ridiculous. What if the following played out - Bills draft Mike Evans in 2014 and end up cutting Stevie in 2015 (whether he has a good year or not, they may). We sign Roddie White for a decent but not ridiculous contract due to age; since the rest of our WRs are so young we add a vet like that - and the group is Roddy White/Mike Evans/Robert Woods (slot)/Flash Goodwin. OR we sign one of the younger big time guys if they do become available to a big contract as all the rest of our WRs would be in their rookie deals. I agree that many of these guys will be locked up before they become available but you never know when a team will get in cap hell/rebuilding mode and let one walk.

BTW - what don't you like about Julio Jones? Just curious.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Bandon Marshall

Wes Welker

Roddy White

AJ Green

Reggie Wayne

Jeremy Maclin

Julio Jones Eddie Royal

Nate Washington

Michael Crabtree

Demaryius Thomas

Jordy Nelson

Dez Bryant

Matthew Slater

Doug Baldwin

Eric Weems

Vincent Brown

Austin Pettis

Brad Smith

Cecil Shorts

Denarius Moore

Jeremy Kerley

Dane Sanzenbacher

Torrey Smith

Greg Little

Brandon Tate

Randall Cobb

Domenik Hixon

Jerrel Jernigan

Ferrel Fernigan

Gerrel Gernigan

Kerrel Kernigan

Nerrel Nernigan

Leonard Hankerson

Marcus Easley

full list.

Nerrell Nernigan? LMAO....I needed that, thanks Boyst.

Maybe it wouldn't be ridiculous. What if the following played out - Bills draft Mike Evans in 2014 and end up cutting Stevie in 2015 (whether he has a good year or not, they may). We sign Roddie White for a decent but not ridiculous contract due to age; since the rest of our WRs are so young we add a vet like that - and the group is Roddy White/Mike Evans/Robert Woods (slot)/Flash Goodwin. OR we sign one of the younger big time guys if they do become available to a big contract as all the rest of our WRs would be in their rookie deals. I agree that many of these guys will be locked up before they become available but you never know when a team will get in cap hell/rebuilding mode and let one walk.

BTW - what don't you like about Julio Jones? Just curious.

at that point, if we already have Evans, we wouldn't need White. Why not just keep Stevie for the contract that he's already under instead of cutting him and signing someone else to be your number 2? Seems like one step forward, one step back.

Just not a fan of Jones. Never have been. It all started when I watched him at the combine. He's listed at 6'3" but he doesn't play that tall IMO. Don't see that true number 1, go up and get the ball type of olay from him. IMO he plays like a slightly taller Stevie. Just my opinion tho.

The Bills can extend Dareus now. They should pay him now while the QB position does not take up huge dollars.

I would not sign Spiller to a long term deal. Let him play his final year and see if he can stay healthy. Then franchise him. Draft Fred's replacement late this year or Spiller's replacement in the early rounds of 2015 draft. Get two more years out of Spiller and then you already have his replacement just like Denver did with Moreno and Ball. No need to destroy future cap space on an aging RB.

at that point, if we already have Evans, we wouldn't need White. Why not just keep Stevie for the contract that he's already under instead of cutting him and signing someone else to be your number 2? Seems like one step forward, one step back.

Just not a fan of Jones. Never have been. It all started when I watched him at the combine. He's listed at 6'3" but he doesn't play that tall IMO. Don't see that true number 1, go up and get the ball type of olay from him. IMO he plays like a slightly taller Stevie. Just my opinion tho.

I don't have any issues with Stevie, but the FO may feel that there is a better option out there next year when cutting him would actually clear cap room. Some thought he should be replaced this year, but I didn't see a good veteran alternative for the same $$ and I think this WR group needs at least one experienced player. Maybe next year the FO sees a guy available who would make the group better as a whole and pull the trigger. Just because we might have Evans (I hope) doesn't mean a guy like White (who I think is a better WR than SJ), Jordy Nelson, or Torrey Smith couldn't be a more effective #2 than SJ. Like I said, JMO and the FO would decide whether that would be the case and the money worked out. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't have any issues with Stevie, but the FO may feel that there is a better option out there next year when cutting him would actually clear cap room. Some thought he should be replaced this year, but I didn't see a good veteran alternative for the same $$ and I think this WR group needs at least one experienced player. Maybe next year the FO sees a guy available who would make the group better as a whole and pull the trigger. Just because we might have Evans (I hope) doesn't mean a guy like White (who I think is a better WR than SJ), Jordy Nelson, or Torrey Smith couldn't be a more effective #2 than SJ. Like I said, JMO and the FO would decide whether that would be the case and the money worked out.

the idea of some wanting him replaced boggles me because they simply think getting rid of him is replacing him. Then trying to get a FA to come in and produce - the days of WR's doing that are gone. Save for 20 WR's in the league, maybe, the rest are a dime a dozen.

here's an article that talks about it.

http://www.buffaloru...dareus-contract

Dareus is on his 4th and final year of his rookie contract this season and we have a club option for a 5th year that we need to exercise by May 3rd. As an alternative, we can sign him to a long-term extension instead. We better do the latter b/c if Dareus has another pro bowl season this year, you bet your ARS he'll be demanding top 3 DT money next year and here we go again with this nonsense.

Don't want to take this thread off the rails, but, IMO it's far from a forgone conclusion that the Bills go hard after Dareus.

the idea of some wanting him replaced boggles me because they simply think getting rid of him is replacing him. Then trying to get a FA to come in and produce - the days of WR's doing that are gone. Save for 20 WR's in the league, maybe, the rest are a dime a dozen.

I agree with this - just saying that this crop coming up, if they do end up being available, could produce one that would be able to be play at a higher level than SJ. I don't know that to be true, but the guys who are paid to know that might make that call. I still think that SJ's production is more reliant on his QB. I can say that I think White, Nelson, and Smith could be better #2s based on watching them play, but look at their QBs. Makes a difference.

Don't want to take this thread off the rails, but, IMO it's far from a forgone conclusion that the Bills go hard after Dareus.

If he has another year, or better, like the one he did in 2013, the BILLS would be hard-pressed to NOT go after Dareus with appropriate money...that said, I didn't realize he's already making $5 mill for the season, so even if you give him top DT money, it won't send the CAP into the stratosphere...and given how the man has played and done his business while with the team despite some really tragic circumstances, I would loathe the idea of Dareus leaving this team...but, I do think they wait to see if the Dareus of last year can replicate his effort and results

If he has another year, or better, like the one he did in 2013, the BILLS would be hard-pressed to NOT go after Dareus with appropriate money...that said, I didn't realize he's already making $5 mill for the season, so even if you give him top DT money, it won't send the CAP into the stratosphere...and given how the man has played and done his business while with the team despite some really tragic circumstances, I would loathe the idea of Dareus leaving this team...but, I do think they wait to see if the Dareus of last year can replicate his effort and results

And be able to not get benched for oversleeping for 11am meetings. I remember when that happened there were rumors he might have some depression issues so I hope everything works out, love that guy.

I agree with this - just saying that this crop coming up, if they do end up being available, could produce one that would be able to be play at a higher level than SJ. I don't know that to be true, but the guys who are paid to know that might make that call. I still think that SJ's production is more reliant on his QB. I can say that I think White, Nelson, and Smith could be better #2s based on watching them play, but look at their QBs. Makes a difference.

In addition to the BILLS nearly guaranteed to take at least one top WR that can play outside and is bigger, I also think they take a late Rounder 6th/7th and that's not counting guys like Kevin Elliot and Ramses Barden who are currently on the roster. The team seemed to really like Elliot, if I remember correctly in their post-season comments. Also, what would serve this team better at this point: trading SJ for a 2nd or 3rd Draft pick in a year when not only WR but OT is quite deep and using that pick for a LB or Guard to help two areas of serious weakness when you have Goodwin and Woods developing and probably their 1st or 2nd round Draft pick in WR?? Just a question...no one needs to take that personally...sometimes when I suggest SJ move on to greener pastures people take it like I'm attacking their family....what is best for the BILLS....that's the question.

Edited by BigBuff423

at that point. In 2015 when WR hopefully have developed 2013's guys, our 2014 WR, the new TE and maybe get Graham doing something - I ask this.

Is it going to be worth it? To spend an extra $6-7mm on a WR, take the cap hit for SJ13 and get the new FA maybe 20-30 more catches and maybe 150-200 yards more then SJ13 would likely give?

And be able to not get benched for oversleeping for 11am meetings. I remember when that happened there were rumors he might have some depression issues so I hope everything works out, love that guy.

Agreed on all counts...because beyond the Player is the Man...and if, big if, Dareus is producing ON the field but struggling OFF the field in some personal way, I would rather the BILLS continue to encourage his ON field performance but take him under their wing and have a guy like Marrone who may have a bit of a father-figure type of role with the guys in the locker room and sort of "coach" him through some tough times....none of us are perfect, we all have our flaws and character deficiencies and I would hate to see the team dismiss both the Player and the Man because of some personal struggles that are not illegal or dangerous to others, just challenging to him....

Agreed on all counts...because beyond the Player is the Man...and if, big if, Dareus is producing ON the field but struggling OFF the field in some personal way, I would rather the BILLS continue to encourage his ON field performance but take him under their wing and have a guy like Marrone who may have a bit of a father-figure type of role with the guys in the locker room and sort of "coach" him through some tough times....none of us are perfect, we all have our flaws and character deficiencies and I would hate to see the team dismiss both the Player and the Man because of some personal struggles that are not illegal or dangerous to others, just challenging to him....

I think Pepper could be a help to him as well as the DL coach... he has worked as a mentor to a lot of young defensive players and that is kind of his specialty. Fingers crossed!

He & the HC can't get on the same page. Do you beleive that Marrone will allow two sets of rules (one for everyone and another for Dareus) or do you think Dareus will finally go 100% all in?

Is it going to be worth it? To spend an extra $6-7mm on a WR, take the cap hit for SJ13 and get the new FA maybe 20-30 more catches and maybe 150-200 yards more then SJ13 would likely give?

dont confuse us with logic. Edited by mrags