Identity theft, and dealing with the IRS anyone?

Buftex

So, I get home from work today, check the mail. A letter from the IRS addressed to me, and a woman who I have no knowledge of. Apparently, this woman and I are being audited by the IRS. My name, her name, my address, my social security number! The way things have been going lately, this seems fitting...

Anyone ever deal with this? After spending 1hr & 20 minutes on hold with the IRS, I am not confident that this is something that is going to be easily fixable. In addition to filling out an identity theft form with the IRS, I will need to do the same with the Social Security administration, the Federal Trade Commission....oh yeah, it is also recommended that I file a police report!

I haven't lost any money, no credit cards have been tampered with....I am tapped, so there is nothing for them to steal from me. The woman I talked to at the IRS recommended that I find proof of residence going back as far as possible... get a letter from my employer verifying my ID, address, etc etc....

The one thing that will help, I think, is that I have not yet filed my taxes this year...I owe about $200 I think, so I am no rush to pay...but now I am just stressed out...

Not even sure what I am asking here...but anyone ever have to deal with something like this? Any tips on making this easier, before I blow the single gasket I have left?

Edited by Buftex

Nothing, yet. Just a notification that they are "conducting a thorough review" of "my" return, as there appears to be issues with "Income reported on your return", "Income tax withholding amounts you reported on your return", "claims for tax credits you made on your return" and "business income you reported on your income". The are not requiring me to do anything at this time, but I should be prepared with any information supporting the data made on my claim.

Surely, there must be something that you can do.

In the process of doing everything she recommended. She stressed to me that it would not likely be resolved very quickly... ironically, to complicate things further, I am going to be moving, in a few months, from the address I have been living in the 12 years.....

You have a small business ? They. Are going after the little guy this year

Nope. Nothing... just a single guy, with an income of about 35 grand.

What I am trying to figure out, is this woman who is on this mysterious return trying to steal a refund claimed in my name... or trying to make me libel for anything she might owe....or is she just some random person whose ID was plucked out of the air by ID thieves, angling for some bogus return? I am not scared (though a little embarrassed to admit) I am kind of a rube when it comes to financial things.

Edited by Buftex

sounds like the biggest thing you have to lose is your credit. look at the worst case and protect it from that angle. call your credit card co's and your bank. call law enforcement (ask your bank for advice on which agency to call- they're at risk too). get the stuff the irs recommended. good luck!

Same thing happened to me last year, nothing is resolved yet. Do all the things they recommend, go get a police report for identity theft you'll need the report number when you contact one of the credit reporting companies, Experian etc...and do either a credit alert or credit freeze so they can't do further damage. PM me for more info. Don't get too freaked out, it's been a year for me and nothing bad has happened...I'm still waiting for the IRS to get back to me...oh, you'll have to do a paper return, not electronic, it won't be accepted.

Same thing happened to me last year, nothing is resolved yet. Do all the things they recommend, go get a police report for identity theft you'll need the report number when you contact one of the credit reporting companies, Experian etc...and do either a credit alert or credit freeze so they can't do further damage. PM me for more info. Don't get too freaked out, it's been a year for me and nothing bad has happened...I'm still waiting for the IRS to get back to me...oh, you'll have to do a paper return, not electronic, it won't be accepted.

Wow...a year later? The IRS lady did say it wouldn't be resolved quickly. Called my brother in-law, a CPA (I forget sometimes)...he is going to file my taxes for me...he says no to get too freaked out over it as well...sage advice I guess! NG, I am assuming you didn't know the person you "filed" your joint return with, either?

Actually I did the report to Experian (and the two other credit companies) already, before doing a police report. It was the easiest part about this whole thing so far..all just touchtone away...they have a flag on my SSN# for 90 days.

Edited by Buftex

Wow...a year later? The IRS lady did say it wouldn't be resolved quickly. Called my brother in-law, a CPA (I forget sometimes)...he is going to file my taxes for me...he says no to get too freaked out over it as well...sage advice I guess! NG, I am assuming you didn't know the person you "filed" your joint return with, either?

Actually I did the report to Experian (and the two other credit companies) already, before doing a police report. It was the easiest part about this whole thing so far..all just touchtone away...they have a flag on my SSN# for 90 days.

Didn't know the bastard. They filed as my wife and I. I do know they were from Georgia. I would recommend that you extend your credit alert for 7 years when that 90 days runs out, and consider freezing it. A little bit of a hassle if you want to open new credit but a really good idea.

I don't have much to add but I'd call any credit card company you've had in the past and see if there was any activity or changes or anything going on with what you would have expected was a closed account.

Didn't know the bastard. They filed as my wife and I. I do know they were from Georgia. I would recommend that you extend your credit alert for 7 years when that 90 days runs out, and consider freezing it. A little bit of a hassle if you want to open new credit but a really good idea.

How do you go about doing a credit freeze? I have heard about them but have no idea what it takes? I don't need specifics, but have often thought about putting one on myself just because. I don't use my credit and might one day and last I checked - honestly, too long ago - I had a stellar credit score. I'd hate to ruin it.

I don't have much to add but I'd call any credit card company you've had in the past and see if there was any activity or changes or anything going on with what you would have expected was a closed account.

How do you go about doing a credit freeze? I have heard about them but have no idea what it takes? I don't need specifics, but have often thought about putting one on myself just because. I don't use my credit and might one day and last I checked - honestly, too long ago - I had a stellar credit score. I'd hate to ruin it.

It was an option when I went to extend my fraud alert after the 90 days were up. If you're interested just call Experian or one of the others. Nothing can be opened in your name without your knowledge or permission.

It doesn't really sound like identity theft. It sounds more like someone !@#$ed up their SSN on their return, and theirs got mixed in with yours (I don't even know how or why that would happen, but I've had similar idiocy from the IRS.)

I'd take all the precautions against identity theft, regardless. But don't stress out too much about it. In my experience, the IRS is relatively easy to work with if you're honest and forthright with them (slow as a bucket of pus, but easy to work with.)

And don't forget to check your state returns, if you live in a state with income tax.

Stupid question but...you made sure you called the actual IRS and not just accept whatever number that was on the notice you received.

It was the number on the letter... I have dealt with enough IRS invoices to believe that it is legit. But, just because you said that, I just typed the number in, and it comes up as an IRS number.

It doesn't really sound like identity theft. It sounds more like someone !@#$ed up their SSN on their return, and theirs got mixed in with yours (I don't even know how or why that would happen, but I've had similar idiocy from the IRS.)

What I don't get though, if it was just a simple transposing of numbers, wouldn't the letter have had just my name and address? I am not doubting you are right, but it just seems odd to me.

It was an option when I went to extend my fraud alert after the 90 days were up. If you're interested just call Experian or one of the others. Nothing can be opened in your name without your knowledge or permission.

Yes, getting the 90 day flag put on there was simple...they offered another option for longer, but to be honest, by that time, I had been on the phone for close to 3 hours, and 90 days sounded alright. As you know, but others may not, if you go through one of the credit bureaus (I called Experian), they tell you that the other 2 major companies will automatically be notified.

Edited by Buftex

I live in Atlanta, and 6 years ago during black Friday, someone went into 6 stores in Ridgeland, MS and established new lines of credit in my name and had a fun day. They went into 4 different jewelry stores, and walked out with a total of like 35K worth of jewelry. Also went to a Toys R US, and a Beals, and went shopping, for another 5K worth of stuff.

Was a major pain in the butt. My credit score went down to 400, for you cannot pay any of these things while you are fighting them, and then you get your credit report hit with non payments. It took like 2 years, basically filing paperwork, but it all went away. In reality, interest rates went lower in those 2 years, and in the long run I saved money when I refinanced my house!!

The problem is the police do not work hard enough to catch these people. It would have been very easy to catch this person who used my identity. There is no where you can stand in a jewelry store and not be seen. They had to of used some kind of identification to sign up for these new lines of credit, and they are supposed to take copies. How do they not catch these people?

I actually spoke with the head of security at Kay Jewelers, he said just have the police contact me, it is easy to retrieve the video, and the police did nothing.

Edited by Security

I have a lot of experience dealing with Identiy Theft. Since 2003.

1)Forget about catching the criminal. I had the guys address (he took out a mortgage loan) and the cops wouldn't do anything about it. I was tempted to drive the 2000 miles to his house and punch him in the face. He apparently moves from state to state a lot though.

-I'm even able to track his location based on unpaid taxes from mulitple jobs. Pretty easy to tell he's a migrant worker.

2)When dealing with the IRS you will eventually get assigned an identity theft agent. It could take years for you to get one. They require multiple instances of identity theft before they take you seriously. (ie had unpaid taxes filed on mulitple years). Even then you will have to dispute your tax filings every single year. Make sure you don't get a refund. It's usually October before the IRS (from mulitple departments) is satisfied.

3)The IRS will assign you a pin. You will need to use the pin, along with your social security number.

4)Getting a new social security number is pointless. It does nothing. Both numbers, by law, will be valid until you die if you get a second one. The IRS can't lock your number, but they can put a warning on it.

5)Lock your credit. Call all 3 companies. This puts a hold on all credit applications to contact you for confirmation. Start disputing all charges. This also could take years. Credit rating hit 0. That's right. Zero. Didn't know it could be that low. Took 7 yrs to get back to normal.

-If you get frustrated, use an identity theft service. You pay money for a company to moniter your information for you. They will check your credit every 4 months. You can do it for free yourself though.

6)Hope it's not an "undocumented worker" that is using your ID to stay in the country. If it is, this will be something you will have to deal with for the rest of his stay in the country. Thanks Obama for not deporting these "harmless" people!

7)Making it easier: Accept your new reality. There are now two of you. Like dealing with a chronic injury this will be the pain in your ass for the rest of your life. Take a zen attitude. Voting Republican might help too.

If this is a one time thing, count yourself lucky.

Edited by unbillievable

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. Pretty scary stuff. I must say, if somebody was trying to steal from a random person, they couldn't have picked a worst victim...I have nothing to steal! That said, I am doing my due diligence and taking all the recommended precautions. I still have to file a police report, which, from what I am hearing is kind of a waste of time... but I suppose, the more precautions I take, the less likely I can be held libel for any illeagal activities or debts incurred in my name (or moreover, my social security number). Luckily, my sisters husband (I don't really know him that well, and didn't even think to ask him for help initially) is helping me a bit...he has been dealing with this kind of stuff for 20+ years. What is most frustrating, this could be id theft, or a simple mistake by somebody, somewhere (not me)...but from what I gather, I am going to be spending the next 2-6 years cleaning it up!

Ha! I bet I'd give you a run for your money or lack thereof :cry:

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. Pretty scary stuff. I must say, if somebody was trying to steal from a random person, they couldn't have picked a worst victim...I have nothing to steal! That said, I am doing my due diligence and taking all the recommended precautions. I still have to file a police report, which, from what I am hearing is kind of a waste of time... but I suppose, the more precautions I take, the less likely I can be held libel for any illeagal activities or debts incurred in my name (or moreover, my social security number). Luckily, my sisters husband (I don't really know him that well, and didn't even think to ask him for help initially) is helping me a bit...he has been dealing with this kind of stuff for 20+ years. What is most frustrating, this could be id theft, or a simple mistake by somebody, somewhere (not me)...but from what I gather, I am going to be spending the next 2-6 years cleaning it up!