NCAA Tournament -What is everybody doing?

Gordio

I know this is a football board & everybody here loves to talk football 365 days a year and analyze to death who the Bills are going to take with their 6th round pick but the best 4 days of the sports calender is coming & that is the first 2 rounds of the NCAA Tournament(I don't count the play in games). Just wondering what everybody is up to. I was thinking of pulling my son out of school & taking them to the games Thursday afternoon. I have not really looked into how much tickets are going but I am sure they are going to be bumped up since Syracuse is playing. If not maybe we will just go to Wild Wings for the night games after he gets homme from school. Friday, I have my annual tournament party, one of my favorite days of the year. Itap the keg at 11 am & old time friend, some of them which I don't see all year start showing uup at various points of the day. It is almost like my little mini version high school reunion party. We will drink, eat & bet college basketball all day. Usually a card game breaks out about 6-7 o'clock & the festivities go well into the night. This is the 13th year in a row I have had this party & I really enjoy it. With me & all my friends having wives/ex wives, kids & such we don't get to see each other as much as we used to but everybody tries to make it a point to come to this party. I am expecting about 20 guys there this year.

As far as the tournament goes, man is this a loaded field, most loaded field as I could remember. When you got Louisville & Mich St as #4's & freakin Kentucky looming in the 8/9 game & possibly playing Wichita St on the weekend this is great drama. Funny thing is I was watching ESPN last night & all 5 analysts have Mich St cutting down the nets next month. I like Wichita coming out of the Midwest. This team is better then last year's & remember they had eventual champion Louisville on the ropes in the final 4. I really like Arizona's draw. Should have a partisan crowd playing in San Diego & then Anaheim. Oklahoma St could be a tricky game but after that I think they cruise. In the East I got to go with Mich St. They finally look healthy & I have learned over the years never to bet against Izzo once the calender flips to March. In the South, I like Florida. I think they are the best team in the country & what I like most about them is it is a senior laden team with 4 seniors seeing significant playing time. As far as my Syracuse, I actually love their draw. I would think they could get by Western Michigan & Ohio State nor Dayton scare me in the 2nd round. After that we will see but they should at least see the 2nd weekend of the tournament, especially if Grant is ready to play. I got Arizona beating Florida in the national championship. Should be a great 3 weeks of sports. My favorite time of year.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately nothing this year

For the remainder of tax season I am helping out an accountant buddy of mine who is shorthanded at his office right. Between my regular job and this I have been very busy the last month and a half and will be until the middle of April. The extra income is nice but I haven't been able to keep up with sports nearly as much as I would like to lol so this year I probably won't be paying too much attention and it looks like Cuse doesn't have the mental toughness to pull it off anyway so I'm not as upset now. On the plus side somehow between both jobs I was lucky enough to pull having the day off today so I am about to be heading out soon to get my Irish on :beer:

Enjoy your party Gordio it sounds awesome!

Sounds like fun. Yuck, Thurs. afternoon tips are the worst. I guess I have to take off both days, ha. Oh well.

I said during the Big10 Final I'm going to have to fade Sparty because they'll be the most fashionable 4seed pick ever. JFC I didn't know I'd be that right. Every single person on CBS/ESPN has them. I'll probably just pick Nova to come out of that region since UVA-Sparty is a coinflip game.

Of course I used to do way better in these things when I just went by gut & didn't worry about what everyone else was picking. Meh.

Ohio St could be a tough game for Cuse but we owe them a little something. Florida looks like the clear favorite there but maybe one of Pitt/UCLA/VCU will do us a favor and take them down - they're all pretty good and we're due for a break like that.

I attended the 2 Final Four games last year in Atlanta, I live there. My brother and his wife and her son came in for the games. Too bad Syracuse lost.

Jut chilling out, playing some brackets with friends. I am in one money bracket this girl runs, and we usually get like 350 playing for $10 each. I have come on the top 3 the last 3 years, and get a good amount of cash!

I am also in a Super Bowl square, $50 a square, type tourney. THey pay out on every game.

With each round, the payout gets greater:

1st Round: $25 - 32 Winners

2nd Round: $50 - 16 Winners

Sweet 16: $100 - 8 Winners

Elite 8: $200 - 4 Winners

Final 4: $400 - 2 Winners

Champion: $1,000 - 1 Winner

I attended the 2 Final Four games last year in Atlanta, I live there. My brother and his wife and her son came in for the games. Too bad Syracuse lost.

Jut chilling out, playing some brackets with friends. I am in one money bracket this girl runs, and we usually get like 350 playing for $10 each. I have come on the top 3 the last 3 years, and get a good amount of cash!

I am also in a Super Bowl square, $50 a square, type tourney. THey pay out on every game.

With each round, the payout gets greater:

1st Round: $25 - 32 Winners

2nd Round: $50 - 16 Winners

Sweet 16: $100 - 8 Winners

Elite 8: $200 - 4 Winners

Final 4: $400 - 2 Winners

Champion: $1,000 - 1 Winner

Wow that is pretty good. We have a work office pool that gets pretty big, I think 140 people went in last year. It is $20. I have been in it for the 16 years I have worked here never came into the money althoughI did get into the final 4 in 2003 & I needed Texas to beat Syracuse to win the whole thing in the Semis. Serves me right for picking against my alma mater. It always amazes at the lack of interest college basketball generates around this area. The NCAA Tournament is truly the greatest sporting event of the year. Buffalo is hosting this weekends games. On the drive in today the morning show on GR not one caller or morning host even mentioned the tournament. Then I turned on satelite radio & espn, fox etc.. all they did was talk about the tournament. Maybe if some of the local colleges were better. GR was talking about some of the reasons why Nolan has not agreed to sign the contract. I mean honestly this time of year & that is the best topic could come up with? It makes me sick.

Lt Dan, a fellow degenerate like yourself is always welcome to stop by!!! 43 Spruceland Terrace, Lancaster, the party goes all night.

This is the first year in I can't remember how long that I haven't taken the 1st Thursday and Friday of the tourney off from work. I'm just too damned busy. I have a meeting at 3:00 on Thursday, and if I hear anything about the Cuse game before I get home, someone is getting a pencil to the eye socket.

Well this will hopefully my last March Madness without a job so I will be taking full advantage. Thursday will be low key early on since my school plays the late game, will be meeting up with a bunch of friends who also attended SDSU. Friday will most likely be an all day affair as I watch my brackets crash and burn.

Gordio, thanks for the yearly "my plans are better than yours" post :D I am hoping to start something similar next year, I am insanely jealous of your plans.

Go Cuse!

Go Aztecs!

Go whoever is playing Duke!

Wow that is pretty good. We have a work office pool that gets pretty big, I think 140 people went in last year. It is $20. I have been in it for the 16 years I have worked here never came into the money althoughI did get into the final 4 in 2003 & I needed Texas to beat Syracuse to win the whole thing in the Semis. Serves me right for picking against my alma mater. It always amazes at the lack of interest college basketball generates around this area. The NCAA Tournament is truly the greatest sporting event of the year. Buffalo is hosting this weekends games. On the drive in today the morning show on GR not one caller or morning host even mentioned the tournament. Then I turned on satelite radio & espn, fox etc.. all they did was talk about the tournament. Maybe if some of the local colleges were better. GR was talking about some of the reasons why Nolan has not agreed to sign the contract. I mean honestly this time of year & that is the best topic could come up with? It makes me sick.

Lt Dan, a fellow degenerate like yourself is always welcome to stop by!!! 43 Spruceland Terrace, Lancaster, the party goes all night.

I appreciate the offer my friend. I'll PM you when I know what my schedule is looking like for Friday. And yes, "fellow degenerate" would be accurate :lol: .

Kentucky played their best game of year. Wich St blew 2 easy buckets down stretch that might have been the difference. Early alleyoop and early putback were gimmes. Kid played amazing though.

This is a defining-moment kind of game for Kentucky. I wouldn't be surprised if this propels them to the final 4. Wouldn't it be something if this team--#1 pre-season, super-hyped, under-achieving bubble team--made it to the final 4?

Stinks for Wichita State-- they deserved a better draw than a region with Kentucky and a Louisville team that could have arguably been a 1-seed.

What a horse crap ending for the Unc game. Unreal the 3 point barrage Iowa st went on to keep them in the game.

Guy shoulda shot it anyways....too late for timeout. Paige missed a few that like have put Iowa state away.

Guess I'm rolling w UVA from here on out.

Good weekend of games. Kind of got my clock cleaned gambling though so it was a fun weekend but a little bitter sweet and of course Syracuse lost so that just added to the misery. I guess I should not of been surprised with the way they were playing the past month or so. Always more fun when you win money.