Signing THE RIGHT veteran QB a must!

It goes without saying that the Bills need a reliable, durable and effective backup QB to be brought in at OBD.

Okay, I get it. Marrone and co. are 100% committed to E.J. Manuel at least for the foreseeable future. And, in all fairness, Manuel deserves the chance to not only prove he can be "the guy", but prove he can stay healthy in doing so.

However, there is that elephant in the room that cannot go ignored any longer. Injuries are an inevitable part of the NFL. This organization, through 15 years of mediocrity, has not addressed depth. At one position in particular, the most important one on the field, at that, Quarterback.

Nevermind the busts drafted (Losman), the endless embarrassments refered to by the brass as "answers" signed in free agency (Bledsoe, Fitz). It is certainly a rarity in today's NFL to be even be capable of bringing in an aging veteran QB to groom and educate a young QB, but if there is an opportunity to do so, the team with the longest active NFL playoff drought needs to find a way to do just that. Not only that, but if Manuel continues to prove he's a "glass joe" type of QB, it should not be ignored any longer that Thad Lewis is not going to be able to provide the lift Buffalo needs to beat the New Englands and Denvers of the world. I personally enjoyed his enthusiasm when called upon last season...but please, Bills brass, be honest with yourselves.

As for Jeff Tuel, I have no idea where in the blue hell this guy came from, but he should have stayed there. I read comments occasionally on TSW and other blogs where some fans and writers enjoy Tuel's supposed "upside". I'm sorry, kids, i don't see one. I wish there was more of a way to elaborate on the subject, but the guy is terrible and won't even be in the league in two years.

Now, back to "todays NFL" and aging QBs willing to be mentors? I understand that those guys are hard to find. Its hard to ask a guy who's been "THE guy" in one city to come into yours, and ride the pine and help groom someone else. That's not how pro athletes, especially NFL athletes, tick.

And I don't know who that guy is even if he's out there on the market, but if he is, this should be at the top of the brain trusts list at OBD.

Can someone please name a veteran reliable back up QB that's available ? I keep hearing that we need to go get one but I can't honestly think of one who's a significant upgrade over Thad.

The only veteran worthy of consideration is Fitzpatrick, just on experience and smarts alone to help EJ & Thad. One year is all we need from him.

FO already said they are not going to sign a Vet QB and are happy with the guys on the roster.

EJ is the starter, period. They won't bring in competition for him. They obviously feel good about the other guys behind being able to fill in if EJ gets hurt, and have said this much. This is a dead topic.

FO already said they are not going to sign a Vet QB and are happy with the guys on the roster.

EJ is the starter, period. They won't bring in competition for him. They obviously feel good about the other guys behind being able to fill in if EJ gets hurt, and have said this much. This is a dead topic.

Plus, they don't want to put precious Jeff Tuel on the practice squad.

I get this suspicion that we will see a lot of all 3 QB's this year, as they go in and out of injury mode due to another year of bad O lines.