Steve Smith's agent- "he has played his last game in Carolina&

boyst

Agreed. He is a true warrior and, IMO, a first-ballot HOFer.

First ballot? I don't know about that. There have been guys out of the NFL for 10-15 years that have put up as good or better numbers than Steve Smith that STILL aren't in the HOF. I would actually think he would not make it before Reggie Wayne, who IMO is the only better receiver to come into the NFL in 2001. I think he was better than Ocho Stinko as well as Santana Moss.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tired of hearing this. Won't let it be said again. What is the history and issues from the locker room? It was not Martin/Incognito. It was players every year battling this guy on a team that was run no holds barred and a fight that broke out because john fox is a coward. The DB kept roughing up Smith and he had enough. Coaches kept encouraging the young guy to go after Smith and be aggressive. This was after he lost a season to injury. The only one he had that every vested NFL player seems yo go thru.

Smith is not a cancer. He was vilified by the Panthers front office. The guy may not be an angel but he is not a problem

I respect you as a poster Jboyst62 but think you may be forgetting some details of Smith’s past transgressions. So to answer your question, he’s gotten into fist fights with teammates on at least 3 separate occasions. In 2002 he got in a fight with receiver Guilian Gary, who then left training camp and never played in the NFL. Later that same year during the regular season he broke the nose of another receiver, Anthony Bright. The report was Bright, who was a practice squad player, asked for a play to be re-shown during a film session and when the lights went out to do so, Smith attacked him. Bright spent 2 nights in the hospital. Smith was arrested and charged with assault and Bright later sued claiming it ended his career. During training camp in 2008 he got into a fight with Ken Lucas and broke his nose. I’m assuming this is who you referred to as the young guy except that Ken Lucas was going into his 8th season and was the team’s starting CB. So it’s not like this was some rookie UDFA trying to make a name for himself; this was just a guy working hard in camp. I found a few links for these below.

I can kind of understand the fight with Lucas because fights happen in training camp all the time, just happens that a guy got his nose broken in this one. I can’t understand the one with Bright. What could possibly make a guy attack a teammate during film study? That being said, I wouldn’t put him in the same category as Martin/Incognito or even TO.

The local 6:00 news last night hinted that the reason he got cut was because of the way he acts in the locker room. The new GM didn’t like the way he handled himself and didn’t see him as the kind of leader he wants his young team to follow. The GM’s view was that as long as Smith was in the locker room, it was keeping guys like Cam & Luke Kuechly from stepping up as team leaders and that’s the lead he wants the team to follow at this point. Take that for what it’s worth…I know that just because it’s on the local news doesn’t necessarily mean it’s fact…it could have been the reporters opinion.

As I said in my earlier post, the fact that the Panthers cut him, probably their best player ever, and aren’t going to save very much against the salary cap by doing so tells me there was something else going on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3516153

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/panthers/2002-11-22-smith_x.htm

First ballot? I don't know about that. There have been guys out of the NFL for 10-15 years that have put up as good or better numbers than Steve Smith that STILL aren't in the HOF. I would actually think he would not make it before Reggie Wayne, who IMO is the only better receiver to come into the NFL in 2001. I think he was better than Ocho Stinko as well as Santana Moss.

OK, maybe not first ballot. Wayne is a good comparison. They broke into the league the same year (2001) and their career stats are comparable (Wayne 13,000 yards, 80 TDs; Smith 12,300 yards, 67 TDs). Smith had scrubs throwing him the ball his whole career, other than one or two years when Jake Delhomme was in his "prime", especially 2005, when Smith was probably the most valuable player in the entire league. Wayne, on the other hand, played almost his entire career with Peyton Manning. Wayne put up great numbers, but I don't think he was ever considered one of the two or three best WRs in the game, as Smith was for at least several years. Interesting argument, though.

Intense, talented player but can't stand the guy. Reminds me of TO with a bad attitude. Always remember him for punching his teammate and breaking his nose. Take a pass on Steve. Plus...we need more Williams.

His attitude is exactly what's got him shown the door by Carolina. Probably not what we need on this team at all.

unless your in the know in the Carolina locker room, you have absolutely no idea what your talking about. He's got an attitude for winning more than many others in this league.

People can never be happy. First people hate Atevie because he doesn't work hard, work in the offseason, drops easy balls, gets tattoos, etc... But when you show a guy that is one of the hardest working WRs in the league they say it's not the right attitude for is. Unbelievable.

I respect you as a poster Jboyst62 but think you may be forgetting some details of Smith’s past transgressions. So to answer your question, he’s gotten into fist fights with teammates on at least 3 separate occasions. In 2002 he got in a fight with receiver Guilian Gary, who then left training camp and never played in the NFL. Later that same year during the regular season he broke the nose of another receiver, Anthony Bright. The report was Bright, who was a practice squad player, asked for a play to be re-shown during a film session and when the lights went out to do so, Smith attacked him. Bright spent 2 nights in the hospital. Smith was arrested and charged with assault and Bright later sued claiming it ended his career. During training camp in 2008 he got into a fight with Ken Lucas and broke his nose. I’m assuming this is who you referred to as the young guy except that Ken Lucas was going into his 8th season and was the team’s starting CB. So it’s not like this was some rookie UDFA trying to make a name for himself; this was just a guy working hard in camp. I found a few links for these below.

I can kind of understand the fight with Lucas because fights happen in training camp all the time, just happens that a guy got his nose broken in this one. I can’t understand the one with Bright. What could possibly make a guy attack a teammate during film study? That being said, I wouldn’t put him in the same category as Martin/Incognito or even TO.

The local 6:00 news last night hinted that the reason he got cut was because of the way he acts in the locker room. The new GM didn’t like the way he handled himself and didn’t see him as the kind of leader he wants his young team to follow. The GM’s view was that as long as Smith was in the locker room, it was keeping guys like Cam & Luke Kuechly from stepping up as team leaders and that’s the lead he wants the team to follow at this point. Take that for what it’s worth…I know that just because it’s on the local news doesn’t necessarily mean it’s fact…it could have been the reporters opinion.

As I said in my earlier post, the fact that the Panthers cut him, probably their best player ever, and aren’t going to save very much against the salary cap by doing so tells me there was something else going on.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3516153

http://usatoday30.us...-22-smith_x.htm

Good post. I appreciate it. Nice balance.

And then they throw him away like an old shoe.

Whats the word ? Deaf ?

No No Tom, thats not it . Deft. You've a keen eye and a deft hand with that humor .

I applaud you , and your avatar !!

I'm surprised he is not a Patriot already. This is the kind of guy the Pats love a discarded disgruntled vet that everyone thinks is over the hill and then they squeeze out the last fee squirts of usefulness

The Panthers are now desperate for WRs. They have 0 receivers on the roster who caught a pass in 2013. Would you trade Stevie Johnson for a draft pick? What round would you require?

A lot of folks here don't view SJ as a #1 for this team. If we get a 2nd rounder for him, would you be comfortable taking Mike Evans in the first and using the 2nd rounders and 3rd rounder on LB, OL and TE? Or would you use one of the 2nd rounders to get your replacement WR? Or would you require a first round pick for Stevie, and would the Panthers go for it?