Brad Roby/CB Ohio State

I am not sure how I feel about this. In part very concerned that they will draft him. Looking for a silver lining that he could benefit from some better coaching - has all the measurables but something is missing in coverage skills. Amazing athlete.

Whaley was at the pro day on Friday. Not sure who else from the Bills, but Roby said he had dinner with "Bills Personnel" on Friday night.

Someone talk me off the ledge. I know he was put in some very bad spots by the coaches this year and I know he is very talented overall and the secondary was blasted when they lost the starting safety Bryant. But still... I just can't see him trying to cover NFL WRs.

The #BillsMafia@TheBillsMafia 13h

It's been reported the #Bills met with Ohio State CB Bradley Roby Friday night. #BillsMafia http://instagram.com/p/lTWOQ0kFxU/

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due diligence--nothing to worry about.

Teams meet with all kinds of players for reasons all over the map, like:

They want to draft him

They think a division rival may draft him and want to get to know him a bit

They may eventually target him as a FA after his rookie contract

They may want info on a teammate or player he's faced in the past

Etc

Due diligence--nothing to worry about.

Teams meet with all kinds of players for reasons all over the map, like:

They want to draft him

They think a division rival may draft him and want to get to know him a bit

They may eventually target him as a FA after his rookie contract

They may want info on a teammate or player he's faced in the past

Etc

Interesting... The Jets were all over him at the Pro Day. Stalker-like.

Like bandit says, it's due dilligence. I highly doubt he's an early target for them, although who knows. Whaley so far has my confidence, so until I see him start messing up I'll trust him.

Well, 9 is WAY too high but 41 is about right where he is projected. The Vikings are reportedly extremely interested in him as well and they pick at 40, I believe. So maybe they are thinking 2nd rd but have a pit in my stomach as I have not recovered from watching him on Saturdays. On the other hand, Donnie Henderson did wonders with McKelvin and Roby didn't have the best DB coach.

Earlier on in the season I heard talk that Roby was the best corner in the class. Then, something happened that caused him to fall off the map. What type of injury did he have and how much time did he miss?

He missed one game at the beginning of the year because he was suspended for getting in a bar fight right before fall camp started. It was at an IU bar and he didn't start it, in fact he was he victim, but Urban sat him for even being involved. He didn't miss any other games until the Orange Bowl. He didn't play because of an deep thigh bruise that apparently really limits how one can play. Many speculated he was choosing not to play because he was afraid of covering Watkins and how that could hurt his draft stock. He is a RS Jr and was very much considering declaring for the draft last yr and decided to return. Many believe he strongly regretted that decision and it impacted his play this yr. He did play hurt this year, in most of the games. He isn't the biggest guy and seemed to get dinged often - he is a very hard hitter and played a big role on ST (outstanding punt blocker) so he threw his body around a lot). I assume he is now healthy but his frame concerns me. I think his stock ultimately fell because he got lit up in a few games for big time yards -most notably the Wisconsin game by Abbrederis but Cal was not a good look either and he really had problems in man coverage. I think the whole secondary was so young/ineffective that he was asked to do a ton that the average fan doesn't see (in that game he was giving Abbrederis a 10 yard cushion on every play) and playing CB and safety basically. However, the questions remain as his focus really seemed elsewhere. Edited by YoloinOhio

I, for one, think you should jump! Great Metrics on Roby compared to other CBs shows why you should jump if you play Roby as a CB: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46190/349/peshek-cb-metrics-10

I don't want Roby as a CB. I WOULD consider him as a back-end Safety for depth, as I like the way he attacks the catch point. I would not even consider him in RD 1-2, however.

I am not sure how I feel about this. In part very concerned that they will draft him. Looking for a silver lining that he could benefit from some better coaching - has all the measurables but something is missing in coverage skills. Amazing athlete.

His middle name is "Torched." What's to worry?

I am not sure how I feel about this.

I am with you. All the measurables--his natural talents led to game-changing blocked kicks and highlight-reel interceptions during his time at OSU--but this past year he got beat a lot. It was unclear to me if he looked so bad, so often because (1) all the missed time late-summer/early-fall threw off his timing, (2) he lacks field awareness, or (3) the scheme Fickell ran was just that bad.

When in doubt, I tend to blame Fickell :P . I read recently that the corners and safeties met and practiced separately last year without any meaningful coordination. During the games, I noticed that when Roby lined up way off the ball bad things happened all year long -- especially against Wisconsin and Iowa (before he was ejected), but also against Indiana and Illinois. When he played up close and tight, however, he looked good and at times great. So maybe in the right system he could thrive, but man after this past season I see Roby as a very risky draft pick.

And it's tough for me to say that because he seems like a real good and talented kid who just ran into bad luck in 2013.

I am with you. All the measurables--his natural talents led to game-changing blocked kicks and highlight-reel interceptions during his time at OSU--but this past year he got beat a lot. It was unclear to me if he looked so bad, so often because (1) all the missed time late-summer/early-fall threw off his timing, (2) he lacks field awareness, or (3) the scheme Fickell ran was just that bad.

When in doubt, I tend to blame Fickell :P . I read recently that the corners and safeties met and practiced separately last year without any meaningful coordination. During the games, I noticed that when Roby lined up way off the ball bad things happened all year long -- especially against Wisconsin and Iowa (before he was ejected), but also against Indiana and Illinois. When he played up close and tight, however, he looked good and at times great. So maybe in the right system he could thrive, but man after this past season I see Roby as a very risky draft pick.

And it's tough for me to say that because he seems like a real good and talented kid who just ran into bad luck in 2013.

Withers was in charge of the Secondary, but Fickell called the plays. So I think some blame goes to Fickell but he didn't have a lot to work with and everything that is coming out now with the addition of Chris Ash taking over the secondary is that Urban/Fickell had issues with what Withers was doing with the unit. Now Coombs was his position coach and while a good recruiter his pure coaching at this level may not be up to par (he was coaching HS not that long ago). Withers can't be horrible after getting an HC job but that may have more to do with his recruiting. I have a hunch that coaching and scheme were the issue and many people have also said this which is why Roby is still talked about as a potential 1st rounder. He has a reall high ceiling but man, I can't get some of those games out of my head. Nightmares. Funny that you mention the Iowa game... when he got ejected for targeting (still think it was a bad call) we actually breathed a sigh of relief. What does that say, lol. Edited by YoloinOhio

A pox on them all. After the past two years I've started blaming Fickell for anything that goes wrong in my life. Frozen pipe burst? Blame Fickell. Bad day at work? Urban shoulda fired Fickell already. Stub my toe? Fu&%ing Fickell. If I hear him talk about his "funnel" one more time...all it does it let an opposing ball carrier get 10 yards before being forced into the middle where our LBs can miss a tackle! Nightmares.

Anyway, I hope we’re right about Roby and that he ends up with a good pro career. I was at the Iowa game and just felt terrible for the kid and the run of bad luck he had this season. On the other hand, I was treated that day to the play of the year by El Guapo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awikkRcSi38

Go Bucks.

A pox on them all. After the past two years I've started blaming Fickell for anything that goes wrong in my life. Frozen pipe burst? Blame Fickell. Bad day at work? Urban shoulda fired Fickell already. Stub my toe? Fu&%ing Fickell. If I hear him talk about his "funnel" one more time...all it does it let an opposing ball carrier get 10 yards before being forced into the middle where our LBs can miss a tackle! Nightmares.

Anyway, I hope we’re right about Roby and that he ends up with a good pro career. I was at the Iowa game and just felt terrible for the kid and the run of bad luck he had this season. On the other hand, I was treated that day to the play of the year by El Guapo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awikkRcSi38

Go Bucks.

:wub: :wub: :wub: #RollHyde

As for Buckeyes in the draft... Hyde>Shazier>Roby

But Shazier will go first. The 42 inch vertical at the combine and sub 4.4 40 at Pro Day after packing on 15 lbs just about solidifies he goes in the 1st. He is the human cannon.

He couldn't cover Abbrederis who's considered a mid round pick. Coaching might help, but I wouldn't touch him with our first couple picks.

The joke is that Roby elevates every WR's draft stock (or OSU does in general).

Just kicking the tires. Probably the kind of corner the Bills would like to bring in just not in the top 3 rounds. So in the event that he falls by some chance at least they will be prepared to take him.

Top 3 rounds? Roby probably goes in round 2. Easily. Unless there is an unknown injury or character concern that comes to light. From watching him in the games he struggled it seemed like technique was an issue. Didn’t turn and find the rock. Something I notice a lot of high school, college and pro DB’s doing nowadays. If Henderson could get McKelvin right he could do the same for Roby. Roby’s physical ability is there and he has played very well at times.

Edited by purple haze

Admittedly I don't know a ton about Roby...Early last year when the Bills were decimated with injuries and Rogers was getting beat like a rented mule I was looking at the CB crop a bit...And over and over again when Roby's name came up the word underachiever was attached... B-)

Admittedly I don't know a ton about Roby...Early last year when the Bills were decimated with injuries and Rogers was getting beat like a rented mule I was looking at the CB crop a bit...And over and over again when Roby's name came up the word underachiever was attached... B-)

He's a weird story - was not recruited as a DB but then became one while at OSU. Showed real talent as a RS Freshman and Soph and was an All-American. Everyone though he was going to be a shut-down corner this year and completely tear it up. It was a disappointment to say the least. He did have some sweet plays though this year. He is nasty on the corner blitz.