The Federal Government--The New Slave Masters

http://www.gopusa.com/commentary/2014/03/06/black-people-duped/?subscriber=1

What has this political power meant for the significant socio-economic problems faced by a large segment of the black community? Clearly, it has done little or nothing for academic achievement; the number of black students scoring proficient is far below the national average. It is a disgrace -- and ought to be a source of shame -- to know that the average white seventh- or eighth-grader can run circles around the average black 12th-grader in most academic subjects. The political and education establishment tells us that the solution lies in higher budgets, but the fact of business is that some of the worst public school districts have the highest spending per student. Washington, D.C., for example, spends more than $29,000 per student and scores at nearly the bottom in academic achievement.

Each year, roughly 7,000 -- and as high as 9,000 -- blacks are murdered. Ninety-four percent of the time, the murderer is another black person. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, between 1976 and 2011, there were 279,384 black murder victims. Contrast this with the fact that black fatalities during the Korean War (3,075), Vietnam War (7,243) and wars since 1980 (about 8,200) total about 18,500. Young black males have a greater chance of reaching maturity on the battlefields than on the streets of Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, Newark and other cities. Black political power and massive city budgets have done absolutely nothing to ameliorate this problem of black insecurity.

Most of the problems faced by the black community have their roots in a black culture that differs significantly from the black culture of yesteryear. Today only 35 percent of black children are raised in two-parent households, but as far back as 1880, in Philadelphia, 75 percent of black children were raised in two-parent households -- and it was as high as 85 percent in other places. Even during slavery, in which marriage was forbidden, most black children were raised with two biological parents. The black family managed to survive several centuries of slavery and generations of the harshest racism and Jim Crow, to ultimately become destroyed by the welfare state. The black family has fallen victim to the vision fostered by some intellectuals that, in the words of a sociology professor in the 1960s, "it has yet to be shown that the absence of a father was directly responsible for any of the supposed deficiencies of broken homes." The real issue to these intellectuals "is not the lack of male presence but the lack of male income." That suggests that fathers can be replaced by a welfare check. The weakened black family gives rise to problems such has high crime, predation and other forms of anti-social behavior.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So getting rid of welfare will be like enacting another 13th Amendment? :rolleyes:

I always thought that blacks were really, really poor prior to the welfare state coming along, yet this person is saying the welfare state ruined them? I say the black community is still suffering from the legacy of slavery, racism and Jim Crow

So getting rid of welfare will be like enacting another 13th Amendment? :rolleyes:

I always thought that blacks were really, really poor prior to the welfare state coming along, yet this person is saying the welfare state ruined them? I say the black community is still suffering from the legacy of slavery, racism and Jim Crow

I agree. They will bear the burden of slavery forever and there's nothing we can do but give them money and hope for forgiveness.

The point is the USA has spent billions and they are not better off and in some cases worse off.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/08/28/these-seven-charts-show-the-black-white-economic-gap-hasnt-budged-in-50-years/

The article clearly demonstrates that the black family survived slavery and Jim Crow; but has not survived the welfare state. It also draws on the very strong corolation between the lack of fathers and poor behavior in male children.

Speak to that.

The democrats give enough money through stamps, welfare to control. Enough to buy their vote but at the same time not address the real issues. They don't want to do that because it would be to messy politically. Here is a quote from LBJ and pretty much sum's up the democratic strategy. This was said to governors on Air Force One concerning the "War On Poverty" scam these parasites came up with.

“I’ll have those !@#$s(insert N word here) voting Democratic for the next 200 years.” —Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference.”—LBJ

Nice eh? Fuggin criminal.

Edited by Dante

I'm with you. obviously, the welfare state has lifted these people from victimhood and carried them to the cultural and financial prosperity that all americans so richly deserve. to ween them away from such a successful program is tantamount to reinstituting slavery.

I was listening to a Chuck D interview a while back after seeing Pubic Enemy in concert, and it was very interesting what he said. He said no Democrat or Repiblican was going to help the Black Community as much as they Black Community would be able to help itself. He focused on how starting and owning business' would be the catalyst to give the Black Man not only power, but self reliance and the ability to lift his fellow man out of poverty and crime. He said it all starts with building strong neighborhoods, looking out for one another rather than the Government, getting our kids educated and pushing them intellectually, and creating opporutnity that are plentiful rather than producig more scarcity and dependence.

IMHO, the welfare and support we as a nations have provided for Black Americans probably helped intitially, and it had an efficacy after Civil Rights movement... but it is pretty obvious by most measurements that it is not longer working, rather holding that demographic down. So the question is not who to blame for the problems, but rather the first steps to fixing them, and building on those fixes and successes.

The article clearly demonstrates that the black family survived slavery and Jim Crow; but has not survived the welfare state. It also draws on the very strong corolation between the lack of fathers and poor behavior in male children.

Speak to that.

The article begins by speaking to the poor socio-economic position of blacks. You with me so far? Ok, and I said they were poor, perhaps even poorer, before welfare, and now they still have problems. I'm saying its pretty stupid to say welfare is the cause of the problem, even if it has not helped enough to lift them out of poverty. Lack of jobs has hurt the most of all. Men without jobs don't keep their families as well as men with jobs. Discrimination against blacks in housing, employment, loan application and the justice system during Jim Crow had a consequences for the post Jim Crow era

What is the best point made in the passage do you think? <-----don't be a coward little boy

The article begins by speaking to the poor socio-economic position of blacks. You with me so far? Ok, and I said they were poor, perhaps even poorer, before welfare, and now they still have problems.

Stop conflating income with wealth.

Blacks are poorer now than before the advent of the welfare state, as education levels, litteracy and graduation rates have plummeted; creating a systemic inability to amass wealth.

The fact that the black male's income has been replaced, making his presence in the household unnessecary in the household in the short term is the direct cause of this.

I'm saying its pretty stupid to say welfare is the cause of the problem, even if it has not helped enough to lift them out of poverty.

Destruction of the black nuclear family, leading to an absence of male paternal role models, is the problem.

People will do what they are financially incented to do. When the financial incentives work to eleminate the family unit, the family unit will be eliminated.

Lack of jobs has hurt the most of all. Men without jobs don't keep their families as well as men with jobs.

Then why does divorce data in hard times run 100% counter to your theory? The tighter things get, the fewer families tend to break apart because two households are more expensive to manage than one.

Discrimination against blacks in housing, employment, loan application and the justice system during Jim Crow had a consequences for the post Jim Crow era

So, you're saying that under the nearly 100 years of America's Jim Crow history, blacks were better off, accumulating more wealth, having tighter nuclear family units, and the second the Jim Crow Era ended, black families fell apart, even though they hadn't fallen apart under both slavery and Jim Crow themselves?

Stop conflating income with wealth.

Blacks are poorer now than before the advent of the welfare state, as education levels, litteracy and graduation rates have plummeted; creating a systemic inability to amass wealth.

The fact that the black male's income has been replaced, making his presence in the household unnessecary in the household in the short term is the direct cause of this.

Destruction of the black nuclear family, leading to an absence of male paternal role models, is the problem.

People will do what they are financially incented to do. When the financial incentives work to eleminate the family unit, the family unit will be eliminated.

Then why does divorce data in hard times run 100% counter to your theory? The tighter things get, the fewer families tend to break apart because two households are more expensive to manage than one.

So, you're saying that under the nearly 100 years of America's Jim Crow history, blacks were better off, accumulating more wealth, having tighter nuclear family units, and the second the Jim Crow Era ended, black families fell apart, even though they hadn't fallen apart under both slavery and Jim Crow themselves?

Blacks are poorer now than in, say, the 1950's? Can you prove that???

You are saying, you realize, that blacks were materially better off under a totally racist system than they are today. Now, why would you be saying that?

Blacks are poorer now than in, say, the 1950's? Can you prove that???
You claimed that it's likely that blacks were poorer before welfare. It falls to you to substantiate that claim. I'll provie you with my data after you provide me with yours.

You are saying, you realize, that blacks were materially better off under a totally racist system than they are today. Now, why would you be saying that?

I'm not saying anything of the sort. You should attempt to argue honestly.

Blacks Americans have more freedom today than they had when Federal, State, and Local governments discriminated against them by statute; and in that regard, they absolutely are better off. Further, this isn't unique to the black community. All people are better off when treated equally, as free men, by their govvernments.

But that isn't what we're talking about. We're talking about the impact of welfare on the black family, and how it has taken away the power and pride of the black man by removing from him his responsibility to provide for his family. We're talking about how this systemic destruction has led to the downfall of the black man in general, as without paternal role models, young black boys are growing up with no direction, and are learning through their environment that they also have no responsibility, and therefore no pride and no power. We're talking about how the nuclear family unit has a higher propensity to amass wealth than a single parent household. We're talking about the long term prospects of an huge potion of race of people who have grown dependant on a system which disincents the ammassing of wealth, and the family. We're talking about how sad that is, and how preventable it was, and how it can be rectified.

You're talking about keeping them in chains for the purpose of using them for their handshake at the ballot box.

You're confusing welfare with the Civil Rights movement. The later moved the needle on black prosperity, the former hasn't.

I was listening to a Chuck D interview a while back after seeing Pubic Enemy in concert, and it was very interesting what he said. He said no Democrat or Repiblican was going to help the Black Community as much as they Black Community would be able to help itself.

Huh....I never knew Chuck D was a racist.

You claimed that it's likely that blacks were poorer before welfare. It falls to you to substantiate that claim. I'll provie you with my data after you provide me with yours.

So did you just say you'll show gatorman yours after he shows you his?? WTF dude.

What Alleviates Poverty, the Market or Gov’t Programs?

by Ramesh Ponnuru

Liberals argue it’s the latter. It’s really some of both. From my new Bloomberg View column:

Republicans in Congress are
to convince Americans that conservatism offers better answers than liberalism to the problems of poverty.

In the Washington Post, [Princeton political scientist Larry Bartels] makes
: The free market that Republicans laud “has done nothing at all” to help the poor over the past 40 years. Government programs have alleviated poverty, he argues, but our free-enterprise economy has “failed abjectly” at that task.

That’s a thoroughly wrongheaded and counterproductive way to think about poverty.

more at the links:

You're confusing welfare with the Civil Rights movement. The later moved the needle on black prosperity, the former hasn't.

Huh....I never knew Chuck D was a racist.

He certainly doesn't like Black People.....

Yup, he did just what you do, instead of backing up his asinine climb he asked more questions.

We've been over this before: You don't get my data until you've shown me yours.

You were the first to make a claim. Back it up. I have my data, and I'll share it after you share yours.