Bengals' cheerleaders' gameday rules: No underwear or saggers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i kind of look at it like this if you know all this going in why don't you look for another job :doh: !

It's kind of like the guy working at Mcdonalds that expected to make a living . :w00t:

In the era that a lot of us grew up in if we found that we didn't make enough money on one job we got another one & if we didn't like the job or considered it to hard or to much work for what we were getting paid,

THEN WE QUIT !!!

First red flag should have been when they said they were going to be getting paid $2.85 a hour SEE YA !!!

It sounds as though these cheerleaders are wanting to intentionally go through this & then complain at the end for a get rich quick thing seeing it's a NFL job & they have a S*** ton of money .

Can you say Gold Digger !!

Edited by T master

Well i kind of look at it like this if you know all this going in why don't you look for another job :doh: !

It's kind of like the guy working at Mcdonalds that expected to make a living . :w00t:

In the era that a lot of us grew up in if we found that we didn't make enough money on one job we got another one & if we didn't like the job or considered it to hard or to much work for what we were getting paid,

THEN WE QUIT !!!

First red flag should have been when they said they were going to be getting paid $2.85 a hour SEE YA !!!

It sounds as though these cheerleaders are wanting to intentionally go through this & then complain at the end for a get rich quick thing seeing it's a NFL job & they have a S*** ton of money .

I believe almost all of them have careers elsewhere, or are full time students, NFL cheerleader isn't their only gig.

I can see both sides of the argument here though. The NFL is a billion dollar business, they could easily pay all their employees decent salaries, but then again, they are an unnecessary part to the business and if they dont like it no one is forcing them to do it

As for your point about the McDonalds workers, while I do agree that those positions and any minimum wage position are not intended to be careers you have to live off of (this is where I see the argument against raising the minimum wage so much to make it livable, even though it will probably just increase the cost of living for everyone and make it meaningless), sadly its what a lot of people are forced to do to live these days because there is such a shortage of good paying careers available these days

Edited by apuszczalowski

They sign up for this, so shut up and live by the rules or get out and let someone else show their team kitty.

THEN WE QUIT !!!

These arguments are insane.

I take it you've never asked for a raise? You've held every job you've ever had out of the goodness of your heart? Because you owed it to your boss? Because you were lucky to be employed?

Or do you stare at spreadsheets all day for love of the game?

I take it you've never asked for a raise? You've held every job you've ever had out of the goodness of your heart? Because you owed it to your boss? Because you were lucky to be employed?

i believe its because they dont wear a lot of clothes that a lot of guys dont think they should be allowed to stand up for themselves.

as the market goes, the nfl probably wont do much for them as theres a long line of women that want to do it, but they certainly have the right to ask for more. heck, the nfl locked out players until camp and refs til mid season, i wont hold my breathe on the cheerleaders getting a slice of the pie.

No...When I've been unhappy at a job or was offered more money I made the decision to move on. What are you living in the Dagwood Bumstead era where you think you can charge into the boss's office and demand a raise. That will get you another job quick, at the unemployment office.

...I stand by my statement, they knew what they were getting into and if they don't like it leave. I agree with tmaster... Can you say gold digger!

NFL players get fined if their socks don't pass muster. I don't mind the pervy dress codes because I think it's time Americans decide whether they're afraid of sex or just doesn't like acknowledging a general preference for somethings most people simply don't have.

That said, the meager allowance these women get and the pay to play schemes they get wrapped into (see: Deadspin, Ravenettes) at downright scammy.

Objectify women all you like and be exclusive as you gotta be in projecting a desired image, just pay them accordingly.

+1. The specifics of the Ben-Gals (terrible name, btw) weight requirements seem a little harsh, but having some sort of weight requirement isn't fundamentally a problem in this case. Physical fitness and attractiveness are bone fide job qualifications for NFL cheerleaders.

i believe its because they dont wear a lot of clothes that a lot of guys dont think they should be allowed to stand up for themselves.

as the market goes, the nfl probably wont do much for them as theres a long line of women that want to do it, but they certainly have the right to ask for more. heck, the nfl locked out players until camp and refs til mid season, i wont hold my breathe on the cheerleaders getting a slice of the pie.

Thank you both. I get that a lot of women are willing to deal with terrible pay/working conditions for the "glamour" of being an NFL cheerleader, but that doesn't make it right. Whether in-person or through images, cheerleaders are used to promote the hell out of their team, and they should be paid accordingly. Would anyone be okay with the Bengals' marketing department making below minimum wage?

You are right. They have virtually no leverage. But I stand my assertion that they're entitled to make the request.

No...When I've been unhappy at a job or was offered more money I made the decision to move on. What are you living in the Dagwood Bumstead era where you think you can charge into the boss's office and demand a raise. That will get you another job quick, at the unemployment office.

...I stand by my statement, they knew what they were getting into and if they don't like it leave. I agree with tmaster... Can you say gold digger!

Gold digger? Yikes. Evidently we diverge in our definition of gold.

But I'm sure whatever you do for a living is also limited to 32 billion dollar entities with whom the opportunity exists, so your point of view on the matter, and your life experiences are positively spot on.

+1. The specifics of the Ben-Gals (terrible name, btw) weight requirements seem a little harsh, but having some sort of weight requirement isn't fundamentally a problem in this case. Physical fitness and attractiveness are bone fide job qualifications for NFL cheerleaders.

Thank you both. I get that a lot of women are willing to deal with terrible pay/working conditions for the "glamour" of being an NFL cheerleader, but that doesn't make it right. Whether in-person or through images, cheerleaders are used to promote the hell out of their team, and they should be paid accordingly. Would anyone be okay with the Bengals' marketing department making below minimum wage?

I want to agree with you, and in spirit, I do. In reality, I'm sure the NFL and its 32 subsidiaries will make the case that their ROI from the marketing department far exceeds what the cheerleaders net.

Can the sport exist without both? Absolutely. Is there any question which the league and teams would cut first if given the choice? Heck no.

Should they be paid more hell yes. The rest of it... tough ****. You are there for a reason to attract Male fans and get them pumped up. No one is objectifying anyone, no one forces these women to do this. But if you are going to do so then look the part. Sorry to the women libers out there, no one wants to see a saggy cheerleader.

Should they be paid more hell yes. The rest of it... tough ****. You are there for a reason to attract Male fans and get them pumped up. No one is objectifying anyone, no one forces these women to do this. But if you are going to do so then look the part. Sorry to the women libers out there, no one wants to see a saggy cheerleader.

Again, we need to decide, once and for all: is it sex we're scared of? Or do we not just not like the idea that humans (male/female alike) are endowed with certain assets that are valued more than others (for money or otherwise)?

Ask the $2,000/3 shifts/week stripper how objectified she feels.

Am I envious that I'm not as comfortable with my bod to go and try and make that kind of dough? You bet I am! But I'm not going to slut-shame a woman because she's not!

Okay, time to go completely off the rails:

Meanwhile, Lena Dunham and her disciples have Christened her a hero because she's chubby and parades in front of a camera with her boobies out thus "challenging our perceptions of beauty."

Sorry, my perceptions don't feel challenged one bit. I like what I like, and most men like what I like too. Not all, most.

But what's her real message? That beauty, fat or otherwise, is--in fact--skin deep? Because the character who trots around with nothing to hide is one of the most despicable, un "beautiful" characters on television today. So which is it? Is she beautiful because she's fat and takes her shirt off? But the same doesn't apply to skinny people? But either way you can be a total jerk and that plays zero role in your projection of "beauty?"

Come on!

Again, we need to decide, once and for all: is it sex we're scared of? Or do we not just not like the idea that humans (male/female alike) are endowed with certain assets that are valued more than others (for money or otherwise)?

Ask the $2,000/3 shifts/week stripper how objectified she feels.

Am I envious that I'm not as comfortable with my bod to go and try and make that kind of dough? You bet I am! But I'm not going to slut-shame a woman because she's not!

Okay, time to go completely off the rails:

Meanwhile, Lena Dunham and her disciples have Christened her a hero because she's chubby and parades in front of a camera with her boobies out thus "challenging our perceptions of beauty."

Sorry, my perceptions don't feel challenged one bit. I like what I like, and most men like what I like too. Not all, most.

But what's her real message? That beauty, fat or otherwise, is--in fact--skin deep? Because the character who trots around with nothing to hide is one of the most despicable, un "beautiful" characters on television today. So which is it? Is she beautiful because she's fat and takes her shirt off? But the same doesn't apply to skinny people? But either way you can be a total jerk and that plays zero role in your projection of "beauty?"

Come on!

big cat opening the door to get deep into gender roles and sexuality here - between this and the michael sam thread, its been an interesting week for content on the football board.

big cat opening the door to get deep into gender roles and sexuality here - between this and the michael sam thread, its been an interesting week for content on the football board.

When panties (or lackthereof) and slouching breasts are at the heart of the matter, it's precisely the time to bring it up.

This is how the free market works. There are likely tens of thousands of girls that meet the minimum criteria and want the opportunity to be around pro ball players, wave Pom poms in front of 80 thousand people, be on TV... Etc.

If any of these girls are doing this as a job, they are flat out dumb. $90 a game? 8 games per year? Wtf kind of "job" does anyone get that earns them $720 per year?

This is a hobby, like chess club or Thursday night poker. If this particular girls club makes stringent rules, well that is their prerogative.

Besides given the money areguement, yeah the pay is low but not one is talking a about the $ they save on food and underwear.

Jeeeze. The packers have this cheerleader thing all figured out.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers_cheerleaders

Edit: apparently the bears, giants, steelers, browns and lions do too.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I'm sick of almost every NFL cheerleading team wearing those damn boots.........Love college cheerleaders with their sneakers and legs!

...without the panties. :} Those boots started with the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders that every team felt they needed to copy. Get rid of the go-go boots they went out in the 60's. As for this topic, I'll stick by what I said earlier get out if you don't like it and look for a real job.