Fan Opinion Poll - Where to use the 9th pick?

MClem06

WIth #9 the Bills should draft...  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which Position should the Bills draft at 9?

• QB
    • WR
    • OL
    • LB
    • DB
    • TE
    • Trade it down for extra picks
    • BPA

Say the draft goes this way, and it could.

1 Houston Teddy Bridgewater QB

2 St Louis Sammy Watkins WRF

3 Jacksonville Johnny Manziel QB

4 Cleveland Blake Bortles QB

5 Oakland Jadeveon Clowney DE43

6 Atlanta Anthony Barr OLB43

7 Tampa Bay Derek Carr QB

8 Minnesota Khalil Mack OLB43

You're not going to take the 5th QB on your board, nor are you going to take the 3rd OLB43 on your board (I regard Mosley as a ILB). The BPAs in my opinion in this scenario are OL and Mosley. Between Matthews, Robinson, and Lewan, 2-3 will make Pro Bowl runs. Mosley-Alonso rivals SF and Seahawks. Also notice the top CB hasn't been taken (although that's a wild card to me for the Bills), and FS (sign Byrd).

Say the draft goes this way, and it could.

1 Houston Teddy Bridgewater QB

2 St Louis Sammy Watkins WRF

3 Jacksonville Johnny Manziel QB

4 Cleveland Blake Bortles QB

5 Oakland Jadeveon Clowney DE43

6 Atlanta Anthony Barr OLB43

7 Tampa Bay Derek Carr QB

8 Minnesota Khalil Mack OLB43

You're not going to take the 5th QB on your board, nor are you going to take the 3rd OLB43 on your board (I regard Mosley as a ILB). The BPAs in my opinion in this scenario are OL and Mosley. Between Matthews, Robinson, and Lewan, 2-3 will make Pro Bowl runs. Mosley-Alonso rivals SF and Seahawks. Also notice the top CB hasn't been taken (although that's a wild card to me for the Bills), and FS (sign Byrd).

You and I have the same reasoning, but do you take a RT at nine? Why not Ebron? I'm not lobbying for the guy, I'm just asking.

Edited by chris heff

For the two players that I think could help the Bills right away I think that 9 is too high for either of them - my hope is that they are able to trade down for an extra 2nd rounder.

If not, and Byrd departs they have to consider the versatile safety Clinton-Dix or if they could go with an impact TE that would be good for their young QB. Ebron is probably the fastest of the group, but I would not mind if they picked up Amaro or Irish's Niklas who declared early later in the 2nd as one or both of those should be available there.

I read today that Mike Evans is just like Vincent Jackson & who wouldn't want a guy like him on our Offense ?

We have been after (as Nix said) "a big receiver who is open when he isn't" So i would say with the history of the Bills choices i would go with him & trade Graham to another team for a extra pick because of his inconsistency , not to mention we brought Kaufman back !!

Trade down this is the year that the first round extends to the middle of the second due to the number of players coming out early. You won't believe how many really good players will be available into the third and fourth rounds. This draft is very deep. Trade and then trade again- get picks. Then get more picks. This is a numbers draft. In addition there is no need to draft a Tight End in the first round. Tight end is very deep in this draft. Of course everyone is going to want to do it. If you have to Watkins, Mack, or the Tackle from Auburn. Ideally you trade down and take and take WR Kevin Benjamin from Fla State. Must haves in this draft are at least one offensive lineman, a linebacker to complement Kiko, a big hard hitting safety to cover TE and intimidate WR's you need this regardless of what happens to Byrd, a Tight End who can catch and block (Lynch, Crockett Gillmore, Najvar), a depth corner. They will need another Ol but I am counting on free agency and or Harriston coming back for that.

This is opposite year for me. It's also bizzaro year.

I want to trade down, and I don't want to use any of our top 3 picks on a DB. :o Like Marrone said, "people think you start with the defensive line and work back, but that's not true. You start with the back and work forward." So, there you go. That is competent defensive coaching, in every sport on this planet, and I'm sure it's true for sports on other planets as well. :lol: The thing is: I'm happy with who we have in the back, provided we can keep Byrd.

So, I'd like to trade down, get some Gs, and another LB/TE/WR....whoever the BPAs are. If we can get Woods/Kiko in the 2nd, we can do it again this year. I'd love to trade down to 13/14 and take Ebron or Mike Williams, use the extra seconds on BPAs, etc.

The trouble with all of this: likely BPA, at our picks, doesn't fit with our LB/G/WR plan exactly. The best G may go in round 1, but he's a reach to take him any earlier than 20, etc. So, I dunno. The good news: we have a lot of options this year. The bad news: options means consternation for this board. Lots and lots of consternation. :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

The O-line was healthy just about the entire season which is EXTREMELY unusual. The unit was injury away from being a mess. Go O-line. It will help the running game and passing game, especially for an injury prone QB with major question marks O-line is not sexy but will have more impact than a rookie WR which is the Bills #2 need.

Edited by DDD

The O-line was healthy just about the entire season which is EXTREMELY unusual. The unit was injury away from being a mess. Go O-line. It will help the running game and passing game, especially for an injury prone QB with major question marks O-line is not sexy but will have more impact than a rookie WR which is the Bills #2 need.

OL. If you're going with a young, inexperienced quarterback who is coming off injuries and has a sharp learned curve, you'd better protect him.

WHATS THIS? No common sense allowed here.

Why protect the young QB at all, as he is supposed to be mobile and running the read option. Who cares if by the time that rookie WR-TE has developed into a top NFL player that its time to draft a new QB because the last one was beaten to a pulp!

Oh well, he sucked from the start anyway just like all the rest the last 14 years.

I said TE just because we have shown we can get good WR's in rounds 3-5 with the current regime. With the likes of WIlfork and Richardson in our division and Defensive minds like Rex and Belicheat, a sure handed TE is a valuable weapon to keep the chains moving, and we have lacked one since Metzelars!