Greg Hardy

bufffan031

He is a free agent this year and is only gonna be 26 when the season starts. He has been an absolute beast the past two seasons with 26 sacks for the Panthers. Would be a nice complement to Mario on the opposite side. Thoughts?

Edited by bufffan031

He is a free agent this year and is only gonna be 26 when the season starts. He has been an absolute beast the past two seasons with 26 sacks for the Panthers. Would be a nice complement to Mario on the opposite side. Thoughts?

He is going to get a mega deal and the Bills have enough invested in the DL. Great player for sure but no need here.

He is going to get a mega deal and the Bills have enough invested in the DL. Great player for sure but no need here.

This. Depending on if Byrd gets tagged or not, the only other hole on D is upgrading over Moats/Bradham. I'd rather us address LG or RT in FA if possible.

This. Depending on if Byrd gets tagged or not, the only other hole on D is upgrading over Moats/Bradham. I'd rather us address LG or RT in FA if possible.

I disagree, an every down DE opposite Mario is a need as they don't really have another DE on the roster. Branch played there but is obviously better suited for DT then DE and Hughes isn't an every down DE

DE is a need but obviously not their biggest need

I'd be happy signing Hardy if we let Byrd walk. The Bills seem to think 8 mil for a S isnt worth it, so be it. Take that money and sign Hardy then, and lets use A Williams and Searcy and J Leonard as the safeties.

Shouldnt change our cap situation much and quite frankly our D would likely improve swapping Byrd for Hardy.

When did Greg Hardy become a great player? He had a good season in a contract year. Let's continue to build this team through the draft and re-signing our own young talent(i.e. Byrd). No to Hardy!

I disagree, an every down DE opposite Mario is a need as they don't really have another DE on the roster. Branch played there but is obviously better suited for DT then DE and Hughes isn't an every down DE

DE is a need but obviously not their biggest need

Totally agree.

Not only do we need an every down DE, we need some youth on the entire D-Line.

KW is 30, Mario is 28, & Branch is 29. Hughes is not an every down player, and could leave after his contract is up. Stefan Charles & Corbin Bryant are primarily back-up players, and Alex Carrington's future is unclear. As stated earlier in the thread Dareus' rookie contract will be up soon too.

I don't think the Bills can afford to go after Greg Hardy, we need to re-sign Byrd and we have a lot invested in the D-Line already.

However, come draft weekend, if DE Stephon Tuitt from Notre Dame falls into the 2nd round, I would take him.

I'd be happy signing Hardy if we let Byrd walk. The Bills seem to think 8 mil for a S isnt worth it, so be it. Take that money and sign Hardy then, and lets use A Williams and Searcy and J Leonard as the safeties.

Shouldnt change our cap situation much and quite frankly our D would likely improve swapping Byrd for Hardy.

Bruce did say the best way to stop passing is pressuring the QB. A D line like this would be sick. Although we would have to draft a safety. perhaps trade down and get Hicks form Bama.

Hardy at $14 mil is money better spent than Tyrd at $10 mil

Whaley has already said the BILLS will take a similar approach to FA that they did this year...which means no big splash guys. And honestly, I'm good with that. In all due respect to Mario, you don't build a consistent winner through FA, you get complimentary players, good but not superstar material, to add to your Draft class. Look at how the truly successful teams have done it. The ones who have been inconsistent or just bad at it have tried the Yankees approach in the NFL and it's gone poorly for them. That's not to say Hardy isn't a good / great player, but one position just isn't worth that money at this point for the BILLS. Like another poster said, I'd rather they put that money into a couple Offensive line positions, and another DB. As for Byrd, if you can't get him to sign a reasonable deal, then Franchise him and trade him. Like, NOW

Whaley has already said the BILLS will take a similar approach to FA that they did this year...which means no big splash guys. And honestly, I'm good with that. In all due respect to Mario, you don't build a consistent winner through FA, you get complimentary players, good but not superstar material, to add to your Draft class. Look at how the truly successful teams have done it. The ones who have been inconsistent or just bad at it have tried the Yankees approach in the NFL and it's gone poorly for them. That's not to say Hardy isn't a good / great player, but one position just isn't worth that money at this point for the BILLS. Like another poster said, I'd rather they put that money into a couple Offensive line positions, and another DB. As for Byrd, if you can't get him to sign a reasonable deal, then Franchise him and trade him. Like, NOW

I'm not referring to splurging completely and doing what the Eagles did a few years ago when they stock piled on big name free agents. I do think though there is no harm in getting one big name player to put us over the top and then get the second tier free agents to fill other gaps. If we could manage to resign Byrd and then get Hardy we can then focus on he second tier guys and the draft. We have great cap space.

I'm not referring to splurging completely and doing what the Eagles did a few years ago when they stock piled on big name free agents. I do think though there is no harm in getting one big name player to put us over the top and then get the second tier free agents to fill other gaps. If we could manage to resign Byrd and then get Hardy we can then focus on he second tier guys and the draft. We have great cap space.

The problem I have with that is one: paying Byrd too much, when Safeties don't command that kind of money. The Pats and other teams have done well to let certain, good to great, players walk when they wanted something else. At this point, I'm an advocate of tagging Byrd and trading him for a Draft pick. second: for the FA money, I would rather spend it on the Offensive line, an actual Corner, and potentially a WR or a proven run-stopping LB. But, regretably the BILLS don't consult me...although they should! :flirt:

Getting Hardy will not put us over the top of anything. Having EJ play like a top 20 NFL QB will get this franchise over the top with/without Hardy, or even Byrd for that matter.

Like Trent Dilfer put the Ravens over the top in 2000 right? They had an absolute beast defense. If Ej could even be slightly better than Dilfer with a great defense we will be in great shape