Poll: Pettine or Marrone

Unrealistic yet serious question Bills fans are contemplating  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have as head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

Yes, teams that were already playoff teams. Last year was an anomaly. JMO, I really did not expect the record to improve in 2013. I expected them to develop a rookie QB that in 2-3 yrs would get us back to the playoffs.

Then in 2-3 years, I'll say Marrone is/was an improvement over the previous coach. Until then... he's the same.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting... doesn't seem to be an issue for other cooridnators getting HC interviews all over, despite being in someone's shadow. Do you see Adam Gase looking to make a lateral move to be an OC somewhere else so he can prove he can be successful without Manning? Does Dan Quinn need to go be a DC elsewhere to get out of Carroll's shadow (like Gus Bradley didn't need to do either last year)? McDaniels DID prove he couldn't do it without Brady and Bellicheat, and he was STILL their 1st choice! If Pettine was considered HC material, he would have gotten interviewed regardless of whether he stayed with the Jets or left.

Are you seriously arguing this? Really? Do you just like to type? :huh:

How many of those teams had to start their 4th string QB?

You can't compare the QB situations. Sorry - it is the determining factor, almost always.

Oh yes I can compare QB situations. The Chiefs went out an acquired Alex Smith from the 49ers. The Bills had one in hand, and when he was injured they CHOSE to not retain another.

You read my post but missed the part where I stated they failed to bring in an experienced backup QB before the season started, and failed to even give Matt Flynn a chance.

Last season was a clear result of stupidity in taking a chance of employing not just one rookie QB, but three rookies at QB for the duration of the season. :wacko: So don't blame the lack of an experienced QB on anything other then the coaches / GM, aka team.

Oh yes I can compare QB situations. The Chiefs went out an acquired Alex Smith from the 49ers. The Bills had one in hand, and when he was injured they CHOSE to not retain another.

You read my post but missed the part where I stated they failed to bring in an experienced backup QB before the season started, and failed to even give Matt Flynn a chance.

Last season was a clear result of stupidity in taking a chance of employing not just one rookie QB, but three rookies at QB for the duration of the season. :wacko: So don't blame the lack of an experienced QB on anything other then the coaches / GM, aka team.

They did bring in a VET. Only problem was Kolb is made of glass.

They did bring in a VET. Only problem was Kolb is made of glass.

I stated that already.

They had plenty of time to sign another QB before the season started to sign a different backup QB, and CHOSE not to. This team was prepared to start the regular season with Jeff Tuel :doh:

Like I also stated they CHOSE not to give Matt Flynn a start for whatever reason. He went back to Green Bay and started for them.

I cast my vote for Pettine, my reasons have been well documented in the Pettine to Cleveland thread --- I'll just reiterate ONE. The goal of this franchise should be to win the SuperBowl or at least contend for it year in and year out. With the financial limitations Brandon places on the football people (Tor series and not spending to cap), we need to find exceptional talent. While I think Marrone could be a good coach, I think Pettine could be a great one. In other words, Pettine has a higher upside than Marrone and right now, we need to find GREAT not GOOD.

I stated that already.

They had plenty of time to sign another QB before the season started to sign a different backup QB, and CHOSE not to. This team was prepared to start the regular season with Jeff Tuel :doh:

Like I also stated they CHOSE not to give Matt Flynn a start for whatever reason. He went back to Green Bay and started for them.

I would take Thad over Flynn any day. Unless on one day the offensive system used was GB's. But that is the only day.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Then why sign him in the first place?

The point here is the Bills chose the path to the situation they ended up with concerning the 2013 Bills QB's.

I could be wrong but I believe they signed Flynn because of injury concerns. Once they were gone, so was he.

Edit. Just checked. They signed Flynn because Thad got injured vs Cincinnati and Tuel needed a back up.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Pettine was hidden behind Rex and everyone knows that...He was not going to get an interview for an HC job last year due to that fact, and that's at least part of the reason he left the Jets...This is pretty much public knowledge...

Personally I think Pettine will prove to be a better HC than Marrone when he finally gets the chance...But at this point that's not saying much, and it's not much more than a gut feeling for me...I've generally been a little bit under-impressed by Marrone so far...Though I'm not giving up on him by any means...I think Pettine has worked on better staffs, has a better NFL resume than Marrone, and has a history of getting more out of his players...And even though Marrone would seem to be more qualified due to his HC experience in College, I'm not convinced that matters much...From everything I've read and heard about Pettine he gets high marks for his interpersonal skills...He just needs someone to give him a shot...Pettine strikes me as the type of guy who knows what is up, but is going to play it very close to the vest...While Marrone is a guy who will tell anyone and their mother how he knows everything...Marrone's best accomplishment as an NFL HC to this point may very well be the fact that he hired Pettine...I prefer Pettine's approach, even if he does come off as a a bit subdued...

But that's all just my opinion...We'll see how it all looks 5 years from now... B-)

The bolded is an interesting statement. From all accounts, Rex was going to take back control of the defense in NY thus demoting Mike Pettine. And as DC in NY the Jest defense decreased in rankings each year. That's pretty much public knowledge. And look Pettine leaves, Rex takes back control of the defense, with arguably less talent and the Jest defense improves.

It's not like Pettine was stolen away from NY, he wasn't going to be DC there again. So there's that. But sure, I suppose you can keep hyping a guy who one could argue has rode the coattails of Rex Ryan and has yet to prove he can coach anything better than a mediocre defense.

EDIT: Just to add, I like Pettine and think what he did this year was great. He showed what this defense should be able to do. But the hype he gets around here you'd think he wasn't replaceable. I assume a lot of it has to do with just how bad the defense was under Edwards and then Wannstedt. The only place to go for the defesne was up, IMO.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Say Pettine stays (and I hope he does by the way)..... and the defense performs about the same again..... top 10/12 against the pass with plenty of sacks and picks but continues to languish in the bottom quarter of the league against the run and has not solved that problem.... I think there would be plenty on here who would then begin to question him pretty intensely. Also would that restrict his chances of getting a HC gig at the end of next season?

Say Pettine stays (and I hope he does by the way)..... and the defense performs about the same again..... top 10/12 against the pass with plenty of sacks and picks but continues to languish in the bottom quarter of the league against the run and has not solved that problem.... I think there would be plenty on here who would then begin to question him pretty intensely. Also would that restrict his chances of getting a HC gig at the end of next season?

Agree --- if Pettine stays and he is the coach a lot of us expect him to be, I'd expect the defense to be consensus Top 10 in the NFL ---

The bolded is an interesting statement. From all accounts, Rex was going to take back control of the defense in NY thus demoting Mike Pettine. And as DC in NY the Jest defense decreased in rankings each year. That's pretty much public knowledge. And look Pettine leaves, Rex takes back control of the defense, with arguably less talent and the Jest defense improves.

It's not like Pettine was stolen away from NY, he wasn't going to be DC there again. So there's that. But sure, I suppose you can keep hyping a guy who one could argue has rode the coattails of Rex Ryan and has yet to prove he can coach anything better than a mediocre defense.

EDIT: Just to add, I like Pettine and think what he did this year was great. He showed what this defense should be able to do. But the hype he gets around here you'd think he wasn't replaceable. I assume a lot of it has to do with just how bad the defense was under Edwards and then Wannstedt. The only place to go for the defesne was up, IMO.

Spot on

I stated that already.

Because he sucked. The only place he didn't suck was GB. And even there he sucked except for a game against a terrible defense. Please. They brought up in as insurance because we needed a body and he wasn't a rookie.

Because he sucked. The only place he didn't suck was GB. And even there he sucked except for a game against a terrible defense. Please. They brought up in as insurance because we needed a body and he wasn't a rookie.

Nobody can state that for 100% certainty, nobody!

Perhaps he works well in Marrone's / Hackett's overly simplified offensive system and plays great. Perhaps the coaches could actually add more to the playbook for a QB with some decent experience as he has been in the league since 2008.

The Packers run a version of the WCO offense and M&H seems like they also ran a version of it with all those short passes. They did state they were going to.

Flynn managed to beat the Falcons this year, which was something the Bills couldn't get done. Flynn led the Packers from a 3-26 deficit against the Cowboys at halftime to come out with a 37-36 win. He also had five consecutive TD drives in the 2nd half, and threw for 299 yards with 4TD's 1 INT.

My point here is they never even gave him a chance. Same thing with Tarvaris Jackson, who is now the primary back up to Wilson in the SB.

Anyway, time will tell as Pettine is now the HC of the Browns, and we will see who finishes 2014 with a better record.