I'm drinking a colonoscopy cocktail tonight...

The Poojer

even sitting on the pot like that wasn't horrible...that propofol was AWESOME

I think he was referring to the red-azz rectal/anal ring-of-fire that is the by-product of sitting on-and-off the terlit for 12 or so hours while the cleansing salt concoction flushes yer innards.

By far the prep is the worst part of the procedure these days, and it is hideous. Propofol doesn't just make the procedure painless, it seems to happen in a twinkling. But the prep...yech!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news Pooj! What is "on schedule?" 50 years old/40 with family history of colon cancer?

That is a great tip. I remember having a terrible time nailing it all. Is it okay w/the doctor if you mix w/Gatorade?

As long as there is no red or purple dye which messes up the imaging. Yes, it is fine to do so.

People should consult with their General Practitioner about guidelines. I think most folks should have one at age 50.

After that, you follow your Gastroenterologist's recommendations based on his findings... nothing, polyps, diverticulitis, watch, gerbils, etc.

For me it was a 5 year follow up to my first one because he found (benign) polyps. Had an endoscope the first time, but wasn't needed on the follow up. Next "on schedule" for me is 7 years.

Everybody's different.

Be healthy y'all.

Thanks! Gonna be 46 this year... I am dreading what poor Pooj had to go through... I had the "Chef Jim special", that is: dual colonoscopy/endoscopy 20 years ago when I was ill. I was diagnosed w/JRA when I was a child. 20 years ago I had a wicked flare up of rhuematoid arthritis leading to all kinds of tests prior to them pinning it on the RA. I am absolutely dreading what Pooj went through, I have no found memories of drinking that jug o' pure hell! Hope they made the stuff better now... Gatorade trick seems like a good thing!

I wonder if Poojer will now do this every 5 days like Mead does.

LoL... There are animal cruelty societies out there that would frown upon this kind of activity!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Really? The gastro guy I go to advised to buy lemon gatorade and pound it all at once and get it over with. It's like drinking soapy water. ugh!

Lordy, where you guys be going to the doctor..WVA???You using Obamacare and they can only use the old stuff?

Just did mine in August..about ten ounces of stuff that tasted good around 7.00pm, then another 10 oz at 4 AM..

And yes, lemon or clear gatorade, lemon ice, clear liquids like chicken broth all okay.

Lordy, where you guys be going to the doctor..WVA???You using Obamacare and they can only use the old stuff?

Just did mine in August..about ten ounces of stuff that tasted good around 7.00pm, then another 10 oz at 4 AM..

And yes, lemon or clear gatorade, lemon ice, clear liquids like chicken broth all okay.

Now you know why medical bills are so high. 10 oz. @ 100 bucks an oz. Of course till the patent runs out and it can go generic or something.

;-P ;-P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yup. My wife did her's several years before mine and she came home with something that looked like a plastic gas can for the lawn mower. Mine was a couple of small bottles.

my gallon jug of gavilyte cost me $7...and in hindsight(no pun intended), i could have gotten away with maybe 2-3 pint glasses, especially after doing clear liquids the entire day leading up to it, but i suppose they want to make sure they don't get pooped on during the procedure...and actually as i got out of recovery, the first thing i did was check for 'dampness' in the back of my gown...it was dry...phew...

Now you know why medical bills are so high. 10 oz. @ 100 bucks an oz. Of course till the patent runs out and it can go generic or something.

;-P ;-P

It's just a PEG solution, it costs like a dollar at CVS...