Tom Donahoe says decision on Drew...

theesir

I know this information has been included in another post, so hold the flames. I just wanted to concentrate on one part of what Donahoe said.

Clips of his interview on ESPN Radio earlier today have been played on WGR in the past few minutes

"Bills need to decide what direction they want to go in with the quarterback within the next couple of weeks."

Also,

"Obviously we like JP, thats why we decided to draft him"

It seems as if Donahoe is throwing down the gauntlet to Drew. Take the pay cut and accept a possibe backup role or we're moving on. Take it or leave it.

The 2 weeks timeframe seems to be setting the Bills up to find another backup (or start searching for one) sooner rather than later if need be,

Drew isnt going to be the backup heading into the season.........he will have to make himself one .........ie meaning screwing up severly

212094[/snapback]

I may have believed that a few weeks ago, but listening to TD this morning, he sounded almost... dimissive of Drew.

He even made a point of talking about how the veterens will accept a youngster as long as he performs well.

Drew isnt going to be the backup heading into the season.........he will have to make himself one .........ie meaning screwing up severly

212094[/snapback]

I know you didn't forget -- he already severely screwed up -- most recently in week 17.

I like this kind of talk from TD. Anyone can see DB's play against Pittsburgh cost him his job with the Bills. Donahoe wanted to win that game more than anything. It was the Bills biggest game since he has been here, since Bledsoe has been here and the Bills choked. Bledsoe was brutal. Good-Bye and Good riddance. It's time for greatness with a trio of Losman-McGahee-Evans leading the offense.

I like this kind of talk from TD. Anyone can see DB's play against Pittsburgh cost him his job with the Bills. Donahoe wanted to win that game more than anything. It was the Bills biggest game since he has been here, since Bledsoe has been here and the Bills choked. Bledsoe was brutal. Good-Bye and Good riddance. It's time for greatness with a trio of Losman-McGahee-Evans leading the offense.

212115[/snapback]

Yeah, Bledsoe was brutal, but so was the rest of the team. I expect more heads will roll than just Bledsoe. Bledsoe didn't step up when the rest of the team needed him most. We need a QB who will do that.

212094[/snapback]

With the team surrounding Drew improving significantly last season, I dont think the Bills will feel like blowing the first few games letting Drew playing himself out of a job. Thus putting a stress on thier playoff chances.

It's a tough thing. You watched the San Fran beat down and you realize Bledsoe is still way better than many young QB's out there. Do the Bills risk taking a step back w/ JP while he develops? or do they keep Drew around one more year to see if we can build on last season and make the playoffs?

It's a tough thing.  You watched the San Fran beat down and you realize Bledsoe is still way better than many young QB's out there.  Do the Bills risk taking a step back w/ JP while he develops? or do they keep Drew around one more year to see if we can build on last season and make the playoffs?

212182[/snapback]

This certainly is "the question". TD however seems to be giving a hint as to his answer with comments like the ones he made this morning.

It's a tough thing.  You watched the San Fran beat down and you realize Bledsoe is still way better than many young QB's out there.

212182[/snapback]

Let's be honest...it was against the worst team in the NFL.

As said in the movie "Little Big League" when the kid has to decide whether to cut the veteran all-star, and he finally gets a hit and the kid get's all excited about it:

"Don't you think you're getting a little excited about a seeing eye single?"

The kid realizes this and cuts the veteran.

I agree with Kasper13 that the Steelers game was incredibly important to TD both personally and professionally and may be the most significant reason for DB's current situation. I have not heard today's interview, but I have a strong suspicion that TD does not want DB back. The public nature of the need to restructure, the lack of support by both TD and the players and the short time frame lead me to this conclusion.

It's a tough thing.  You watched the San Fran beat down and you realize Bledsoe is still way better than many young QB's out there.  Do the Bills risk taking a step back w/ JP while he develops? or do they keep Drew around one more year to see if we can build on last season and make the playoffs?

212182[/snapback]

You do realize that the San Fran game was against... San Francisco? I'd expect RJ and Todd Collins both to rate over 100 in a game against them.

Forget the San Francisco game. Step back and look at the other games we've played against decent teams.

I really like DB, he's a class act. But I can think of a few situations this past year where if he was just a bit more mobile, or perhaps had a bit more pocket presence, we would have left with a W - or at least been IN THE POSITION to leave with a W. That nail in the coffin against NE, to name one.

-Jeff