S***Hole School In Queens: How Does This Happen?

Just read the story linked here, and it's absolutely stunning that this is going on. Kids sit around all day watching movies. No classwork. No curriculum. And a fur-wrapped principal making $126k/year plus overtime...who never shows up.

Hmmmmm....How does someone get away with this?

Students at PS 106 in Far Rockaway, Queens, have gotten no math or reading and writing books for the rigorous Common Core curriculum, whistleblowers say.

The 234 kids get no gym or art classes. Instead, they watch movies every day.

“The kids have seen more movies than Siskel and Ebert,” a source said.

The school nurse has no office equipped with a sink, refrigerator or cot.

The library is a mess: “Nothing’s in order,” said a source. “It’s a junk room.”

No substitutes are hired when a teacher is absent — students are divvied up among other classes.

A classroom that includes learning-disabled kids doesn’t have the required special-ed co-teacher.

About 40 kindergartners have no room in the three-story brick building. They sit all day in dilapidated trailers that reek of “animal urine,” a parent said; rats and squirrels noisily scamper in the walls and ceiling.

Edited by LABillzFan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the most ridiculous part of this story is the follow-up article announcing that the principal has retired with full bennies.

In all seriousness, what I genuinely don't understand is how can the parents of 240 kids be so silenced on this? As soon as our son comes home, we review his school work and homework and he gets to work on the latter. He's in third grade and every day has upwards of two to three hours of homework, studying, reading, etc that has to be done and signed off by us before he returns the next day. If he ever came home and said "We just watched movies all day," it's impossible to grasp how we would respond.

I just don't get how this could go on for as long as it does. Is it like this in all the inner-city schools in NYC?

Probably the most ridiculous part of this story is the follow-up article announcing that the principal has retired with full bennies.

In all seriousness, what I genuinely don't understand is how can the parents of 240 kids be so silenced on this? As soon as our son comes home, we review his school work and homework and he gets to work on the latter. He's in third grade and every day has upwards of two to three hours of homework, studying, reading, etc that has to be done and signed off by us before he returns the next day. If he ever came home and said "We just watched movies all day," it's impossible to grasp how we would respond.

I just don't get how this could go on for as long as it does. Is it like this in all the inner-city schools in NYC?

If my kids came home with 2-3 hours of homework at that age, I would question if anything were done at school, too. More often than not, poor teachers are resorting to simply assigning work instead of teaching.

If my kids came home with 2-3 hours of homework at that age, I would question if anything were done at school, too. More often than not, poor teachers are resorting to simply assigning work instead of teaching.

My wife works at his school and is aware of the teacher's abilities. We also meet with her, review her curriculum, plan, etc. His assignments are simply time-consuming. Depending on the projects he has going on, it can be a lot of work.

Also, he attends a private school, so that's probably what's tripping you up. He's doing stuff the public schools don't teach for another year or two.

Well, we have "improvement"!

Principal shows up on time for work for the first time in 7 years

And, what the hell is making poor kids spend $110 for a 5th grade formal? That's just weird.

But, you know, it's for the children, so it must be good.

My wife works at his school and is aware of the teacher's abilities. We also meet with her, review her curriculum, plan, etc. His assignments are simply time-consuming. Depending on the projects he has going on, it can be a lot of work.

Also, he attends a private school, so that's probably what's tripping you up. He's doing stuff the public schools don't teach for another year or two.

Aren't you the one who told us you put your kid in private school because...there was sex going on at the public school, or something like that?

Or am I confused?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

the best and brightest are not going in to teaching. why would they? there is an outright war on public education in some parts of the country. north carolina is the poster child. guess which side of the aisle composes the attackers? unfortunately, many people can't afford private schools but most of them don't vote republican. yes, there are some very bad teachers around. there are also some amazing ones. the answer is to weed out the bad and incentivize enough good to retain and recruit them to public education. i'm guessing that's not what you all imagine as the solution.

UNION YES!!! :thumbsup:

the best and brightest are not going in to teaching. why would they? there is an outright war on public education in some parts of the country. north carolina is the poster child. guess which side of the aisle composes the attackers? unfortunately, many people can't afford private schools but most of them don't vote republican. yes, there are some very bad teachers around. there are also some amazing ones. the answer is to weed out the bad and incentivize enough good to retain and recruit them to public education. i'm guessing that's not what you all imagine as the solution.

Which is impossible to accomplish because left wing lemmings like you insist on keeping the corrupt union system in place.

But yeah, it's a real 'war' out there. How can public schools survive on per-pupil spending that exceeds every other nation on earth! :rolleyes:

Ck out the Muslim thread to see the homework assignment Tasker gave me. A weeks work, minimum.

you don't live in NC. You have no idea what's happened here

well, yes, i do. i have a niece that teaches elementary school in durham. it probably won't surprise you that many of my friends are educators here in va. they're well aware of what's going on over there eg teacher pay freezes for the last 5 years or so, no compensation for advanced degrees, no tenure, wages for some teachers as low as 20k and much more. and there's proven links to these efforts and far right national conservative groups.

He knows what's going on. Even has his free Moral Monday t-shirt that came with his donation.

no tenure

You write that as if it's a bad thing. Tenure is ridiculous and should be eliminated nationwide...among other corrupt union kickbacks.