Divisional Round Playoff Picks

YoloinOhio

I went 4-0 last week; you can look it up in the other thread. This week I feel less confident. I think there is only one gimme in Seattle and am not even so sure about that. Here goes with the picks...straight up, no spread:

Seattle

Denver....but barely

San Fran....don't know why, just a gut even though Carolina beat them in SF....I do think Carolina is a good team too

Indy. Another gut feel

Against the spread I would take SD, SF, Indy and stay way away from the other game....gun to my head...Seattle.

I went 4-0 last week; you can look it up in the other thread. This week I feel less confident. I think there is only one gimme in Seattle and am not even so sure about that. Here goes with the picks...straight up, no spread:

Seattle

Denver....but barely

San Fran....don't know why, just a gut even though Carolina beat them in SF....I do think Carolina is a good team too

Indy. Another gut feel

Against the spread I would take SD, SF, Indy and stay way away from the other game....gun to my head...Seattle.

Carolina did beat them in SF but they were missing Vernon Davis for a half and I don't think Crabtree was back yet. I like SF for that reason although this is going to be a great game to watch if you like to watch Defense! Awesome LBs on both sides.

Carolina did beat them in SF but they were missing Vernon Davis for a half and I don't think Crabtree was back yet. I like SF for that reason although this is going to be a great game to watch if you like to watch Defense! Awesome LBs on both sides.

Plus Steve Smith is dinged up. Agreed it should be a good game. I'm not even sure I'll be rooting for anyone until mid-game. I picked SF but another part of me thinks Cam could do something miraculous this week.

Don't sleep on the Chargers. Straight up Picks:

Seattle

Carolina

Patriots

Chargers

Not for nothing, but I also think this is how they look ATS as well.

I do feel somewhat bad for Denver and New Orleans. I feel like both are facing the worst possible team they could face of all the teams in the playoffs. Rivers has a sterling record while playing in Denver, and is an excellent cold weather QB. Also, their offensive philosophy of control the clock is a real problem for Denver. New Orleans has to go play in a cold, windy, rainy stadium against a D they have no shot of being able to run against.

Edited by Oberyn

Don't sleep on the Chargers. Straight up Picks:

Seattle

Carolina

Patriots

Chargers

Not for nothing, but I also think this is how they look ATS as well.

I do feel somewhat bad for Denver and New Orleans. I feel like both are facing the worst possible team they could face of all the teams in the playoffs. Rivers has a sterling record while playing in Denver, and is an excellent cold weather QB. Also, their offensive philosophy of control the clock is a real problem for Denver. New Orleans has to go play in a cold, windy, rainy stadium against a D they have no shot of being able to run against.

Bad matchup for Peyton/Denver. McCoy knows him and their team very well having coached there as does the SD GM who was with Peyton in Indy for his entire 15-year tenure. Not to mention Peyton has always struggled against SD for whatever reason. I do think they win although it will be close. The game SD beat them, it was a Thursday night (which tends to be non-representative performances) and he didn't have Welker. Denver's defense is highly questionable but SD's offense is not explosive. SD's passing D was rated 29th in the league for the season and Peyton will exploit that. He needs to avoid the bad INTs and they will win.

Bad matchup for Peyton/Denver. McCoy knows him and their team very well having coached there as does the SD GM who was with Peyton in Indy for his entire 15-year tenure. Not to mention Peyton has always struggled against SD for whatever reason. I do think they win although it will be close. The game SD beat them, it was a Thursday night (which tends to be non-representative performances) and he didn't have Welker. Denver's defense is highly questionable but SD's offense is not explosive. SD's passing D was rated 29th in the league for the season and Peyton will exploit that. He needs to avoid the bad INTs and they will win.

I really do believe that SD is team most likely to follow in the mold of the Ravens last year, the Giants in 2011, and all the other teams over the past 6 years who end up making it to the Superbowl after having to win 4 or 5 games in a row just to make it into the playoffs. For whatever reason, it seems like the most important thing to winning playoff games these days is attitude and motivation, and being able to coast into the playoffs after a hot start and get a bye seems to destroy it whereas having 4 must win games leading up to the playoffs has the opposite effect.

SD comes in as the hottest team in the NFL, and their stats, especially on D, have gone up over the course of the process. For example, with regards to SDs D, yes its 29th over the year, but it is at the league average DVOA since week 13. There is no reason to suspect it will revert this week. Also, the Chargers were the best team in the league at third down conversions...which is exactly whey they can play keepaway from Manning.

If SD has blown out the Chiefs in week 17 I think there is a very different perception of them. But since they napped through there game (and come on, be honest - it's tough to get up to play a team with all of their backups in), people focus on that game instead of the Week 14, 15, 16 and Playoff Round 1 wins. When you add to this that Denver's D was horrible even with all its playmakers, and now has to play without several starters, and that Peyton, statistically speaking, is average to bad in cold-weather pressure situations, a 9.5 pt spread is a joke and I think SD is more likely to win than lose.

I really do believe that SD is team most likely to follow in the mold of the Ravens last year, the Giants in 2011, and all the other teams over the past 6 years who end up making it to the Superbowl after having to win 4 or 5 games in a row just to make it into the playoffs. For whatever reason, it seems like the most important thing to winning playoff games these days is attitude and motivation, and being able to coast into the playoffs after a hot start and get a bye seems to destroy it whereas having 4 must win games leading up to the playoffs has the opposite effect.

SD comes in as the hottest team in the NFL, and their stats, especially on D, have gone up over the course of the process. For example, with regards to SDs D, yes its 29th over the year, but it is at the league average DVOA since week 13. There is no reason to suspect it will revert this week. Also, the Chargers were the best team in the league at third down conversions...which is exactly whey they can play keepaway from Manning.

If SD has blown out the Chiefs in week 17 I think there is a very different perception of them. But since they napped through there game (and come on, be honest - it's tough to get up to play a team with all of their backups in), people focus on that game instead of the Week 14, 15, 16 and Playoff Round 1 wins. When you add to this that Denver's D was horrible even with all its playmakers, and now has to play without several starters, and that Peyton, statistically speaking, is average to bad in cold-weather pressure situations, a 9.5 pt spread is a joke and I think SD is more likely to win than lose.

I agree with that... Vegas playing games

Sat. Jan 11th

New Orleans @ Seattle (-8) 4:35pm

Indy @ Pats* (-7) 8:15pm

Sun. Jan 12th

SF@ Carolina (+1) 1:05pm

SD @ Denver (-9.5) 4:40pm

Yolo's Picks (straight up):

Seattle

Pats* :censored:

49ers

Denver

I've been waiting to see this post.

Sat. Jan 11th

New Orleans @ Seattle (-8) 4:35pm - I'll take the Aints + 8 but I think Seattle wins.

Indy @ Pats* (-7) 8:15pm - I'll take the Dolts + 7 points and I hope they win. I want to see Brady on his :censored: crying like a baby

Sun. Jan 12th

SF@ Carolina (+1) 1:05pm - I'll take the Panthers to win.

SD @ Denver (-9.5) 4:40pm - I'll take the + 9.5 points but I think the Donks win.

I'd like to see Manning win in the post season against his former team.

then lose to the NFC.

I'm still holding on to the factoid that no QB that lead the league in passing has won a SB.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Seattle over NO. I think the Saints will keep it close this time, but Seattle will just pull away in the second half.

I really don't want to pick them, but I can't see New England losing at home. Indy escaped last week...they won't this week.

I'd like to see Carolina win, but I think San Fran is just too tough. Kaepernick will win it with his legs and they'll figure out how to contain Cam Newton.

Denver has been waiting for a year and won't lose this one. San Diego is good and on a roll, but I think Manning will do everything in his power and Denver's D will step up.

NE-will be close.

Denver--tough pick. Manning is a HOF one and done loser, but SD has done nothing of note lately (assing in against KC's bench and standing around and watching Cincy self destruct doesn't get you a div win).

SF--won't be close.

Seattle--will be close.

Sat. Jan 11th

New Orleans +8

I know Saints are not good on the road but I think they win this game as I'm not sold on the Seahawks

Pats -7

I actually like Indy with the Points but can't see them hanging in this game after last week

Sun. Jan 12th

SF -1

I'm not sold on Carolina either and think SF may be heading back to the Super Bowl

Denver -9.5

Denver rolls in this game

Edited by Max997

Sat. Jan 11th

New Orleans +8

I know Saints are not good on the road but I think they win this game as I'm not sold on the Seahawks

Pats -7

I actually like Indy with the Points but can't see them hanging in this game after last week

Sun. Jan 12th

SF -1

I'm not sold on Carolina either and think SF may be heading back to the Super Bowl

Denver -9.5

Denver rolls in this game

Me neither - I don't trust Newton in this game for some reason.