Bills need to poop or get off the pot.

Pittsburgh never traded up, the Bills never traded up (high) and there is nothing to indicate that Whaley would trade up. That being said….now there's the issue of whether Manziel is worth trading up for. I have no opinion, but it doesn't appear to be a slam dunk.

Oh….and there's the issue of spending your first top pick on a QB and naming him the 2014 starter…..

The day we cut RF was the day we named our #1 QB pick the starter.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pittsburgh never traded up, the Bills never traded up (high) and there is nothing to indicate that Whaley would trade up. That being said….now there's the issue of whether Manziel is worth trading up for. I have no opinion, but it doesn't appear to be a slam dunk.

I am in agreement. If someone were there who is slam dunk, I'd be for it. I see Johnny Football as a coin flip. Could be marvelous. Could be Ryan Leaf II.

If there were someone like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck there, I'd be all for it.

The day we cut RF was the day we named our #1 QB pick the starter.

I think you mean Fitz, and he wasn't cut, but we did fail to offer what it would take to resign him.

I'm not certain you're correct, though. I think we signed Kolb because we had the notion he would start unless Manuel beat him out.

We fans are always in favor of rolling the dice. Right now Manziel looks like such a sure thing. I'm sure Washington thought the risk was worth trading up for RGIII. Now the Rams have their high pick and the Redskins are at rock bottom again.

IT's "QB fever" season again, when every college prospect looks like a sure fire pro bowler. Then reality sets in and we are back to lusting for the next year's "can't miss" prospects. The circle of life.

If we do trade up for Manziel, or whoever, just be prepared for the outcome.

PTR

Jim, would you please consider changing the title of the thread? Since it's about Johnny Football, how about something like "Bills need to draft Johnny Football" or "Drafting Manziel is doable and the Bills need to make it happen"?

That way people who love them some Johnny would be attracted to it and people who don't could "see an avoid"?

Thanks!

No. Because it really is time for action, good or bad and it's time to prove their serious and I feel the phrase fits. Make a nervey drastic move and make things happen, Hiring .500 collage HC's and drafting high round guards is not going to work.

We fans are always in favor of rolling the dice. Right now Manziel looks like such a sure thing. I'm sure Washington thought the risk was worth trading up for RGIII. Now the Rams have their high pick and the Redskins are at rock bottom again.

IT's "QB fever" season again, when every college prospect looks like a sure fire pro bowler. Then reality sets in and we are back to lusting for the next year's "can't miss" prospects. The circle of life.

PTR

The current OBD regime of Whaley and Marrone just drafted a QB #1 in 2013 and are committed to seeing him develop. The idea is simply beyond the realm of any realistic possibility. It's just not going to happen.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

PTR

I knew RG would be brought up. But did they not get in the playoff's? What Bills fan would not give up a few draft choices for that, even once? And the finial chapter on RG is not written yet. New HC, %100 healthy who can say how that will work out?

I knew RG would be brought up. But did they not get in the playoff's? What Bills fan would not give up a few draft choices for that, even once? And the finial chapter on RG is not written yet. New HC, %100 healthy who can say how that will work out?

All true, though it's funny to see the optimism for RGIII while EJ3 is a bust after 10 starts. As for making the playoffs, I'm sure we'd say we'd trade places for a one-and-done appearance but that thrill would be short-lived and we'd be looking at the next draft for a savior. I've been on this board long enough to know that actually making the playoffs would mean nothing to anyone if we didn't go any further.

PTR

The current OBD regime of Whaley and Marrone just drafted a QB #1 in 2013 and are committed to seeing him develop. The idea is simply beyond the realm of any realistic possibility. It's just is not going to happen.

Because the FO dosn't want to admit they may have been wrong? Thats good news.

No way. You need to give time for a QB to develop, and that's what needs to happen with Manuel. It would be stupid to dump picks to get another QB. It isn't being conservative, it is being smart. Carelessness doesn't make a good team, and getting a douchebag like Johnny Football wouldn't help. See the REdskins. They are careless, and they are no better than Buffalo.

So does that mean the carefull Bills ARE a good team?

Because the FO dosn't want to admit they may have been wrong? Thats good news.

Not saying they're right or wrong because EJ is still a question mark. It's simply too early to make that determination in my view and besides that Manziel is no sure thing. Just posting what is likely to happen given the reality of the matter.

Why do people think that the latest run around college QB who has yet to prove that he can read defenses, throw the entire NFL route tree, or consistently deliver the football to receivers with timing and anticipation within the structure of a disciplined pro style offense is the greatest NFL prospect around? Manziel is a question mark at the NFL level who is simply not worth giving up multiple draft picks to acquire.

You have just perfectly described EJ MAnuel.

How you could have watched Manziel in his last game and not see him making all types of throws, seeing the whole field and making plays quickly and decisively?

He's quicker than EJ. He sees the field better than EJ. He throws a better ball and is far more accurate than EJ. Read any scoutng report and they will say he sees the whole field and it's obvious he can read defenses. He's also physically tough and plays hurt.

I wouldn't trade any picks to get him (this team has to many other needs on offense--they can trade up to get Mariota next year), but of course if he is there at 9, you run to the podium to get him.

All true, though it's funny to see the optimism for RGIII while EJ3 is a bust after 10 starts. As for making the playoffs, I'm sure we'd say we'd trade places for a one-and-done appearance but that thrill would be short-lived and we'd be looking at the next draft for a savior. I've been on this board long enough to know that actually making the playoffs would mean nothing to anyone if we didn't go any further.

PTR

Getting that 14 year monkey off our backs is BIG. Breath a little fire into the team and fans.

How you could have watched Manziel in his last game and not see him making all types of throws, seeing the whole field and making plays quickly and decisively?

He's quicker than EJ. He sees the field better than EJ. He throws a better ball and is far more accurate than EJ. Read any scoutng report and they will say he sees the whole field and it's obvious he can read defenses. He's also physically tough and plays hurt.

I wouldn't trade any picks to get him (this team has to many other needs on offense--they can trade up to get Mariota next year), but of course if he is there at 9, you run to the podium to get him.

I know. You love Johnny Flameout. He looked good against Duke. BFD!

Jim there are two debates on this subject.

1) Should the Bills draft another QB highly?

2) Will the Bills draft another QB highly?

A surprising number of people are in favor of the idea of drafting a QB highly but very few people think it's gonna happen.

There's no question that the NFL has changed enough that it's a more viable possibility than ever before but the fact remains that it has been a very rare occurrence.

Just recently players like Bradford, Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker were given multiple years to develop.

For better or worse.

RG3 is not a bust….that organization is a bust. EJ is not yet a bust….but is non-deserving of being handed the starting role for 2014….he should have to win it in camp. Up the damn competition any way you can and let him be come the guy….including drafting a QB.

Jim - I am with you on taking the risks….but this organization just doesn't do risk like that. The risks they take wind up taking are the ones they make while trying to avoid risk…..LIKE….hiring a cheap .500 college coach, cheap first time coaches, picking Chan off the scrap heap (cheaply), Fitz's contract (not cheap, just dumb), Buddy at GM...knowing QB is our #1 need...passing on Russell Wilson because he doesn't fit the mold. It's their risk aversion and old ways that became the risk. The FO has been setting the organization back by throwing away seasons with their "safe" choices that turn out to be huge risks.

My hope is that all of the other GM's and their groupthink shy away from the unconventional guy that is loaded to the eyeballs with swagger and "it" factor and we catch him at 9. Certain people have such character that they can be placed in any profession anywhere in the world….and they will win. Russell Wilson had that, everyone could see it. Manziel has it and then some.

Jim there are two debates on this subject.

1) Should the Bills draft another QB highly?

2) Will the Bills draft another QB highly?

A surprising number of people are in favor of the idea of drafting a QB highly but very few people think it's gonna happen.

There's no question that the NFL has changed enough that it's a more viable possibility than ever before but the fact remains that it has been a very rare occurrence.

Just recently players like Bradford, Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker were given multiple years to develop.

For better or worse.

1] Should? Yes

2] Will? No. They will just plod along, going though the motions, not doing anything that might look bad on their resume till the new owner shows up.

The Bills are not going to use a first round pick to draft a qb. What they are going to do is use this year's draft to acquire a physically big #1 receiver. That will take a first round pick. The organization is going to use this offseason to find players who will put EJ in a better position to succeed.

I have no quarrel with your evaluations of Manziel's skill set. It is quite impressive. As you noted he sees the whole field very well. In many ways Manziel is a better prepared player for the pro game than EJ was when he came out of college. Manuel was a much more developmental qb prospect than the more ready Manziel. Just because a player isn't as ready to play right away doesn't necessarily mean that the rawer prospect in the end won't be the better player.

Buddy Nix favored a drafting philosophy that gave a great deal of emphasis to a physical profile. His drafting preference usually leaned toward the bigger and stronger player over the less physically imposing propsect. That certainly was a factor in taking Manuel.

Manziel is the most exciting and dynamic qb in this year's college game. There is a good chance that he could be taken before it gets to us. Cleveland should be very interested in him. The Bills organization is a very staid organization that usually doesn't act with a great deal of imagination. So I just don't see a Manziel selection, even if he is on the draft board when our turn comes up.

Don't mistake what I am saying about this year's qb prospects compared to EJ. I do like Manuel as a qb prospect. I just think that he is going to take a little more time to develop. The developmental time should be similar to the time (3 years) it took Nick Foles to get a grasp of the offensive. The Bills are highly invested and committed to Manuel. The next step is to add pieces to put him in a better position to be successful.