Redskins - ownership nightmare

Just enjoying a team with a worse ownership situation than ours on this New Year.

Danny Boy - a very young man in football ownership…lot of years to go for him.

http://www.washingto...065e_story.html

“This is the Washington Redskins,” he said of a team that hasn’t won the Super Bowl since after the 1991 season and has four playoff appearances and 136 losses since Snyder bought the team. Shanahan’s successor will also be the eighth coach, including interims, in Snyder’s 15 seasons of ownership."

Snyder will ALWAYS have trouble with his coaches. From Norv to Schotty to Spurrier to Gibbs to Shanahan, Snyder just can't resist becoming buddies with his own team's star players. That is a recipe for disaster every time. Nothing undermines a coach more, both in and out of the locker room. Not to mention the animosity it breads among players. Snyder can't get out of his own way.

GO BILLS!!!

Snyder will ALWAYS have trouble with his coaches. From Norv to Schotty to Spurrier to Gibbs to Shanahan, Snyder just can't resist becoming buddies with his own team's star players. That is a recipe for disaster every time. Nothing undermines a coach more, both in and out of the locker room. Not to mention the animosity it breads among players. Snyder can't get out of his own way.

GO BILLS!!!

Worked OK for DeBartolo.

Eddie D. got out of the way and let his football people do their jobs. He spent lavishly, but pre-cap. Don't know how he'd do in the current NFL.

I'm pretty sure Eddie D and Joe Montana didn't fly Eddie D's private jet to western PA to have Thanksgiving dinner with Joe's parents, either.

And I don't recall Eddie D letting his star rookie LB "borrow" his helicopter nor do I remember reading about Eddie and Montana riding together in the limo to attend dinners for foreign dignitaries.

Snyder clearly plays favorites and undermines his coaches as a result. This is what happens when a fanboy grows up to own the team at a young age.

GO BILLS!!!

<p>

<br />

I'm pretty sure Eddie D and Joe Montana didn't fly Eddie D's private jet to western PA to have Thanksgiving dinner with Joe's parents, either. <br />

<br />

And I don't recall Eddie D letting his star rookie LB "borrow" his helicopter nor do I remember reading about Eddie and Montana riding together in the limo to attend dinners for foreign dignitaries. <br />

<br />

Snyder clearly plays favorites and undermines his coaches as a result. This is what happens when a fanboy grows up to own the team at a young age. <br />

<br />

GO BILLS!!!<br />

That's why I said he let his football people do their jobs. ;)

It's funny because Snyder does all the things that fans say an owner should do: be passionate and involved, willing to take risks like trading up for a player, spend big money bringing in big name coaches and players, etc.

PTR

Except, by all accounts, he just isn't a good person. The antithesis of, say, Arthur Blank.

It's funny because Snyder does all the things that fans say an owner should do: be passionate and involved, willing to take risks like trading up for a player, spend big money bringing in big name coaches and players, etc.

PTR

True but being too involved (Al Davis) can lead to constant meddling and turnover. Plus rumors of players being in his ear and whining about the HC is a recipe for disaster.

PTR

Owners should not be involved. They don't really understand the actual business. They just think they do.

Owners should own and hire the right people to run and the franchise.

PTR

Exactly. This is why I get frustrated with some posters on the board as there are too many knee jerk reactions. If I read another post about firing Marrone, benching EJ, etc. it's silly, as you have to give time for a team to develop. This is Snyder's problem.

PTR

Funny,... I always thought of Snyder as a bad owner, but when I look at your post, I guess you're right. These are the things we're often pleading with the Bills FO to do

He also learned from earlier mistakes of getting too involved w/ the operations and has backed off during Shanahan's tenure leaving the "football guy" to run things. So what's the problem. Is Snyder all that different from say,... Terry Pegula??

Edited by cage

PTR

Yup, and they have had little more success than Buffalo. They may have killed RGIII's career and their coaching carousel has been a joke.