Johnny Football vs. Duke (Possible draftees)

BringBackFergy

I think he will be hurt all the time as a result of his size and style of play. If he is forced to play a different style as a result, I do not think he will be as good as he was in college and could struggle. Combined with his red flags of already drinking to deal with his "celebrity" which living in College Station... being an attention whore... he is just not the type of QB I would want leading my franchise for the next 10 yrs. Not saying I am right, just my gut feeling. Loved watching him in college,

This is from an article by Ryan McCrystal on "Why Johnny Manziel May Not Be Ready for the NFL":

Against Missouri, Alabama and LSU, Manziel completed just over 60 percent of his pass attempts—a perfectly respectable rate.

However, on passes thrown more than 10 yards down the field, he completed just 47.1 percent (24 out of 51)—an unacceptable rate for a supposedly elite college quarterback.

To further put that number into perspective, consider the fact that Geno Smith has completed 46.8 percent of his passes 10 or more yards down the field this season, nearly the exact same rate as Manziel against his toughest competition.

While that number raises some doubt about Manziel's NFL future, a closer look brings a terrifying fact to light: Manziel is nothing without Mike Evans.

When targeting Evans, Manziel completed 67 percent of his passes thrown beyond 10 yards, but when targeting any other receiver, that number plummeted to 38.9 percent.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from an article by Ryan McCrystal on "Why Johnny Manziel May Not Be Ready for the NFL":

Quick, name another WR on A and M.

And you and McCrystal must have found it amazing that Evans, a first round WR in May,was better at catching passes than the rest of that receiving corps.

Russel Wilson is also 27 y.o and light-years more mature than "Johnny Football". Wilson may also have a better arm. To be sure, I didn't expect Wilson to have a lot of success in the NFL due to his size, but with at GREAT defense and some good WRs with a very good run game, he is excelling.

I was turned-off by Manziel's "leadership" on the sidelines last night. Now, I recognize that maybe I am wrong and his teammates may have been completely motivated, but I wonder how that goes over with NFL players.

I have also seen him throw up "hope for a miracle" balloons and that will certainly not fly in the NFL.

I will grant that he is definitely elusive and has a decent arm with a very quick release.

I do very much wonder how he'll handle adversity in the NFL and I suspect that off-field issues may de-rail him in the "league".

Manziel was yelling at his boneheaded WR for 2 stupid misconduct penalties minutes apart.

Wilson played QB for 5 years in college.

Then continue to waste your time salivating because he won't be around at pick nine.

So despite your earlier assertion to the contrary, you're conceding that an NFL front office will see what we see in Manziel. I'll take that, too.

So despite your earlier assertion to the contrary, you're conceding that an NFL front office will see what we see in Manziel. I'll take that, too.

Good. There have been many failed top ten QBs in the past and there will be many more in the future. Make sure you take that too. :lol:

So this hot shot has a great game against DUKE and now he'll revolutionize the QB position at the NFL level. :lol: How did he do against the SEC Power teams? :rolleyes:

He dominated them all, outside of LSU.

I don't know if I trade up for the guy, but at 9 I'd take him and celebrate.

Quick, name another WR on A and M.

Name a QB that played with Calvin Johnson at GA Tech.

Where are they now?

And you and McCrystal must have found it amazing that Evans, a first round WR in May,was better at catching passes than the rest of that receiving corps.

No, McCrystal and others (like myself) have noticed that once Mike Evans is taken out of the equation, Johnny Football is not nearly as good as others portray him to be.

QB's are supposed to elevate the play of their teammates, not the other way around.

Manziel was yelling at his boneheaded WR for 2 stupid misconduct penalties minutes apart.

JM bitching out another teammate regarding behavior is laughable, and JM has no room to talk.

Name a QB that played with Calvin Johnson at GA Tech.

Where are they now?

No, McCrystal and others (like myself) have noticed that once Mike Evans is taken out of the equation, Johnny Football is not nearly as good as others portray him to be.

QB's are supposed to elevate the play of their teammates, not the other way around.

JM bitching out another teammate regarding behavior is laughable, and JM has no room to talk.

Johnny Football has never gotten a stupid penalty that could hurt his team. He has all the room in the world to talk as the leader of his team.

Yes, he has.

Johnny Football has never gotten a stupid penalty that could hurt his team. He has all the room in the world to talk as the leader of his team.

As Yolo pointed out: Yes he has.

He was slapped with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and benched for his antics just this year.

Johnny Football has no room to B word about how players behave on the field.

He was slapped with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and benched for his antics just this year.

His own coach: ""That wasn't very smart and that's why he didn't go back in the game," A&M coach Kevin Sumlin told ESPN after the game. "I hoped that at this point he'd have learned something."

The "kid" is 21 and the leader of that team. Keep saying he needs to grow up and give him a pass for being an idiot and a me-first guy just because he is athletic and talented. Those kinds of people always are successful as NFL QBs. :(

And you're both wrong, they were blowing out their opponent. It didn't hurt their team because he had already put them up 30 points. Meanwhile, his idiotic teammate does something stupid in a close game and JF yells at him.

If he didn't yell, you'd say he isn't a leader.

And you're both wrong, they were blowing out their opponent. It didn't hurt their team because he had already put them up 30 points. Meanwhile, his idiotic teammate does something stupid in a close game and JF yells at him.

If he didn't yell, you'd say he isn't a leader.

Is that like when Stevie said his drop didn't matter because it was early in the game? And no, I would not say he was not a leader for not yelling at his teammate. Just because they were up big on their opponent when he got his penalty doesn't mean he gets a pass for acting like a spoiled brat and taunting an opponent.In fact, it almost makes it worse. Who taunts Rice? You want to taunt Bama when you are up by 30? Maybe.... I can see the emotions getting carried away... but Rice? Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Is that like when Stevie said his drop didn't matter because it was early in the game? And no, I would not say he was not a leader for not yelling at his teammate. Just because they were up big on their opponent when he got his penalty doesn't mean he gets a pass for acting like a spoiled brat and taunting an opponent.In fact, it almost makes it worse. Who taunts Rice? You want to taunt Bama when you are up by 30? Maybe.... I can see the emotions getting carried away... but Rice?

Is that like when Stevie said his drop didn't matter because it was early in the game?

No it's actually not. There's a difference of 59 minutes.

Did you watch the game? The defense was in his face the entire game talking, mimicing his signs even when they were were getting dominated. JF pointed to the scoreboard and got a flag. That's acting like a spoiled brat? There's a league of difference between the two situations. Talking smack to a team that's been dogging you all game after putting them away is very different from talking smack while the game is up the air.

ESPN even had a whole day where they said that the refs would never throw that flag if it had been any other player in CFB.

If Stevie dropped a ball that got picked off in a 40-7 blowout win would you be angry with his comments?

Edited by FireChan

Is that like when Stevie said his drop didn't matter because it was early in the game?

No it's actually not. There's a difference of 59 minutes.

Did you watch the game? The defense was in his face the entire game talking, mimicing his signs even when they were were getting dominated. JF pointed to the scoreboard and got a flag. That's acting like a spoiled brat? There's a league of difference between the two situations. Talking smack to a team that's been dogging you all game after putting them away is very different from talking smack while the game is up the air.

ESPN even had a whole day where they said that the refs would never throw that flag if it had been any other player in CFB.

If Stevie dropped a ball that got picked off in a 40-7 blowout win would you be angry with his comments?

Yes I watched it. Yes, he acted like a spoiled brat. He did more than point to the scoreboard. As a QB he needs to be above that. I can't wait until he flips off the fans when he is not winning in the NFL.

Did you watch the game? The defense was in his face the entire game talking, mimicing his signs even when they were were getting dominated.

That justifies it?

And you just admitted JF was taunting them. Fake signature anyone?

JF pointed to the scoreboard and got a flag.

It was not just "pointing to the scoreboard".

You already admitted JF was taunting Rice ("mimicing his signs").

On the play in question, JF and a Rice player got into a verbal exchange after the play.

JF turned and started to walk away (the smart thing to do).

He should have kept walking. But he could not let it go.

He turned back around and started up again.

That's what caused the flag. He just had to have the last word. Once he turned back around, his actions were irrelevant.

Talking smack to a team that's been dogging you all game after putting them away is very different from talking smack while the game is up the air.

All that tells me is the other team can get into his head.

And his coach said it was stupid. Who do you think carries more weight?

As for ESPN, Brian Urlacher, an ESPN analyst, essentially called JF a "punk" after that game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.