Run Defense Breakdowns (Detailed)

mjt328

I think most of us are sick/baffled at the continued breakdowns in the Bills run defense. Especially with us fielding 3-4 Pro Bowl caliber players in the Front 7. So I'm planning on taking the offseason to review all of our games and show where the biggest breakdowns are actually coming from. My goal is to look at any running plays over 10+ yards and assign the proper blame.

Here are my results from the Week 17 New England game.

The Bills allowed a total of 267 yards on 43 attempts, for an average of 6.2 yards per carry. Out of those runs, they allowed 6 rushes of 10 or more yards - for a total of 139 yards.

29 Yard Run (Ridley)

1st Quarter - 4:06 remaining

New England is lined up in the I-Formation, with a tight end to the left and 2 wide receivers split right. The Bills are in a base 4-3 defense.

The play is a simple handoff and dive to the right side B Gap, between the right guard and right tackle.

At the point of attack, Corbin Bryant gets no penetration and is completely stonewalled by the right guard. Manny Lawson has outside contain and is met by the right tackle. He tries reaching off the block, but is too slow to get a hold of Ridley.

At the second level, Kiko Alonso and Jim Leonard are both in a position to make a stop. But both hesitate and wait for the play to come to them. Alonso is blasted by the fullback. Leonard is taken out by Edelman.

Nobody on the defense can shed their blocks. Ridley simply navigates into the secondary until he's met by Jairus Byrd playing deep safety.

14 Yard Run (Blount)

2nd Quarter - 14:40 remaining

Our good friends at CBS were too busy showing highlights from the 49ers-Cardinals game, so they missed the beginning of this play.

From what I can tell, Corbin Bryant appears to be getting turned around by the blocker. Nigel Bradham meets the running back in the hole, about 2-3 yards from the line of scrimmage - but completely whiffs.

36 Yard Run (Blount)

2nd Quarter - 12:22 remaining

New England is in a 2 tight end set, with one running back and 2 wide receivers split left. Buffalo is in a base 4-3, but crowding the line with two linebackers showing blitz.

Blount starts towards the left side C Gap, then cuts back to a huge hole in the left side A gap.

The key player here at the point of attack is (again) Corbin Bryant, who gets blown back by the left tackle. Bryant also fails to slow down the left guard, who easily gets to the second level and takes Kiko Alonso out of the play.

Alan Branch is also singled-up on the center with a chance to slow down Blount, but doesn't seem aware the runner is coming his way until it's too late.

15 Yard Run (Ridley)

4th Quarter - (10:09 remaining)

Same formation as before. New England is in a 2 tight end set, with one running back and 2 wide receivers split left. Buffalo is again in it's base 4-3.

It's almost the same play as before, with Ridley starting towards the C Gap, then cutting back towards the A Gap.

Unlike Corbin Bryant on the previous big run, Kyle Williams gets a great jump and blows the left guard back. He also forces a temporary double team, slowing down the left tackle from reaching the second level. Marcel Dareus stands up the center and appears to be in decent position to bottle up the play for a 2-3 yard gain.

This is where linebacker instincts come into play, and Kiko Alonso and Nigel Bradham are both late in diagnosing. Both wait until blockers reach them at the second level. Ridley does an excellent job of being patient. Dareus misses the arm tackle, and boom... another big run.

10 Yard Run (Blount)

4th Quarter - (3:24 remaining)

New England is in the I-Formation with 2 tight ends and a receiver split right. Buffalo is crowding the box with 5 linemen and 4 linebackers.

This play came after the onside kick, after it was clear the game was in the bag. It showed.

The Patriots run a simple dive to the left C Gap. The Bills have the play bottled up about a yard downfield with 6-7 defenders. New England pushes the pile for an additional 9 yards. I specifically noted Alan Branch and Nigel Bradham making a half hearted effort to bring down Blount.

35 Yard Run/Touchdown (Blount)

4th Quarter - (2:40 remaining)

Exact same formation and run as the previous play. The run goes to the left C Gap.

Mario Williams has contain and is matched up against the tight end. Refs missed a jersey pull on the block and Williams can't get his hand out to slow down Blount. Ty Powell also has good position on the left tackle, but watches the runner go by without trying to disengage.

Nigel Bradham gives virtually no effort at meeting the fullback in the hole, and actually appears to try avoiding the big hit.

This leaves Jim Leonard, who takes a bad angle 5-6 yards downfield, then gets stiff-armed to the ground.

NOTES:

>> Benching Marcel Dareus hurt us a bunch. Corbin Bryant was key in all 3 big runs in the first half.

>> Nigel Bradham does not need to be starting. He's a liability at a very important position, and his effort at the end of the game was disgusting.

>> Kiko Alonso may be a Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate, but he's still got a lot of improving to do.

>> Jim Leonard is weak in run support.

For all the praise heaped upon Pettine, maybe his attack style defense leaves too many gaps at the line of scrimmage.

Something isn't right here. Highly praised D-line, but we constantly get eaten alive by the run game.

Do we need a "Wilfork" type nose tackle??? Hellppp!!!

For all the praise heaped upon Pettine, maybe his attack style defense leaves too many gaps at the line of scrimmage.

Something isn't right here. Highly praised D-line, but we constantly get eaten alive by the run game.

Do we need a "Wilfork" type nose tackle??? Hellppp!!!

This group has been terrible against the run for years. It's the players not the scheme.

Kyle Williams is one example. He is a great player and I love him on the bills, but his strength is quickness off the line and shooting gaps. When defending the run, getting upfield so fast like Kyle does is an all or nothing situation. He either makes a big play, or his position upfield creates huge running lanes.

Other teams running a relative of pettines scheme like the jets and ravens are always very good against the run

Edited by FluffHead

This group has been terrible against the run for years. It's the players not the scheme.

Kyle Williams is one example. He is a great player and I love him on the bills, but his strength is quickness off the line and shooting gaps. When defending the run, getting upfield so fast like Kyle does is an all or nothing situation. He either makes a big play, or his position upfield creates huge running lanes.

Other teams running a relative of pettines scheme like the jets and ravens are always very good against the run

From the analysis above, it sounds like Kyle Williams was not the problem on any of those plays. The Pats targeted Bryant repeatedly and succeeded.

You do have to question how effective Williams is at the run given the results over time. It is a fair question to explore but only the coaches and his teammates really know the answer.

From the analysis above, it sounds like Kyle Williams was not the problem on any of those plays. The Pats targeted Bryant repeatedly and succeeded.

Maybe we need to consider that he is part of the problem….I mean, the Bills have never been good against the run while he has been here. I honestly don't know, but I don't think he should be free of evaluation/criticism.

It's not the front-4 that are the problem, but our OLB's. They're just plain weak at the point of attack and get overwhelmed by opposing blockers. This should be one of the primary areas of concern for the 2014 draft.

I don't agree with that. The DL routinely gets moved.

Maybe we need to consider that he is part of the problem….I mean, the Bills have never been good against the run while he has been here. I honestly don't know, but I don't think he should be free of evaluation/criticism.

I don't agree with that. The DL routinely gets moved.

I don't agree that the DL "routinely gets moved". There's a reason that they finished 2nd in the NFL in sacks. They're aggressive in getting in the backfield. The problem with that is if you don't have strong linebacker play, then you open yourself to opposing teams running games. There's a direct correlation as well between when the Bills were getting a lot of sacks and at the same time getting gashed in the running game. Just do the math and it becomes painfully obvious.

The things i noticed watching on TV:

- Bryant and Charles were getting OWNED. Pushed 5-10 yards down field on some runs. That is SO BAD.

- None of our DTs where drawing/demanding double teams. Interior lineman for the Pats easily got into the 2nd level to block our LBS.

- Kiko does not do well taking on blocks, he avoids them better than he sheds them.

- Bradham doesn't do anything well. Why is he even getting playing time? I thought Moats has been much better when he is in - mainly in the beginning of the year when he played more.

- Moats/Bradham should be replace

- Byrd plays way too deep. My guess is this is on purpose but, when a RB does break through, they get 10-15 yards before Byrd is even on the TV screen. I would like to see him closer to the LOS so that he can run up and make a play before the RB gains 15 yards.

I don't agree that the DL "routinely gets moved". There's a reason that they finished 2nd in the NFL in sacks. They're aggressive in getting in the backfield. The problem with that is if you don't have strong linebacker play, then you open yourself to opposing teams running games. There's a direct correlation as well between when the Bills were getting a lot of sacks and at the same time getting gashed in the running game. Just do the math and it becomes painfully obvious.

Our DTs, particularly v NE with Dareus out, rarely draw double teams. Too often a G gets into the 2nd level and gets a good block on Kiko our our other LBs. These guys need to be free to roam and make plays. Kiko's main weakness that I see is his inabilty to disengage from larger OLman. But if our DL did a better job of demanding a double team - he would be more free to make plays.

I hope we resign Carrington. He can play inside and would be better than Bryant IMO.

1. Kiko has not played well for half a season. Watch the tape. Take away the early season turnovers and he has not been a very good MLB especially against the run. I hope it is the rookie wall and being generally undersized coming out of the Pac-12. Next year will determine if he is the answer at MLB for the next 5-8 years.

2. Byrd is supposed to play that deep. Most single high safeties play 15 yards off the LOS.

3. Moats and Bradham are awful. Neither shoudl be brought back to play inside or outside. OLB is a huge need going into the off season.

NOTES:

>> Benching Marcel Dareus hurt us a bunch. Corbin Bryant was key in all 3 big runs in the first half.

>> Nigel Bradham does not need to be starting. He's a liability at a very important position, and his effort at the end of the game was disgusting.

>> Kiko Alonso may be a Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate, but he's still got a lot of improving to do.

>> Jim Leonard is weak in run support.

Good diagnosis, Leonard is small so run support isn't his specialty, also looks like we were burned a lot in a 43 maybe we should use more of the 34 hybrid since we have 34 players.

Thanks for the expose 328 .

Its not that hard to see the problems when reviewing plays.

Bills have major problems with execution .

i think the communication is an issue in the front seven.

Kyle Williams. thats a reach. he is called on to penetrate never been a space eater.