Buffalo Bills 2014 Wish List

OnTheRocks

I've listened to WGR all day yesterday and came away with this;

1. Marrone said E.J. performs better when no one is at his feet or threatening to sack him. This is not a great revelation but it does show that Marrone views his O-line performance as unsatisfactory. He said that Unga, Asper, and McClain show some ability to be a starter but need development. My take? all three are guards. Buffalo needs replacements at LG, RG, and RT. Of the three, Unga got the most exposure this year but at RG. This may mean that Buffalo will need to draft a LG and a RT.

2. Marrone said that Chandler had a fine year and was uncommittal when asked if the team needed an upgrade at the TE position. He did say that the team had players with developing talent at the position. My take; he likes Gregg.

3. Eric Wood was interviewed. Wood likes E.J. Wood thinks he's a hard worker and thinks we will see a "jump" in his performance next year. Wood also likes the coaching staff and Marrone. He thinks Marrone has a good grasp on what this team needs to do to improve. He also said that the talent level of the team was improved this year and is looking forward to a better 2014.

There is a lot of negativity expressed here but I came away from yesterday's conference and interviews with a good feeling about next year's team.

I wish that the smal minority of people that have decided that EJ is a bust would realize that no matter how much they crusade on the topic, they are not going to influence the majority of people, let alone influence the Bills FO with their incessant insistance on the situation.

I wish that the smal minority of people that have decided that EJ is a bust would realize that no matter how much they crusade on the topic, they are not going to influence the majority of people, let alone influence the Bills FO with their incessant insistance on the situation.

I agree...I'm not enamored with anyone coming out at the position anyway. I know there are a lot of talented kids at the position, but not an Andrew Luck type guy that you would kill for.

I've listened to WGR all day yesterday and came away with this;

1. Marrone said E.J. performs better when no one is at his feet or threatening to sack him. This is not a great revelation but it does show that Marrone views his O-line performance as unsatisfactory. He said that Unga, Asper, and McClain show some ability to be a starter but need development. My take? all three are guards. Buffalo needs replacements at LG, RG, and RT. Of the three, Unga got the most exposure this year but at RG. This may mean that Buffalo will need to draft a LG and a RT.

2. Marrone said that Chandler had a fine year and was uncommittal when asked if the team needed an upgrade at the TE position. He did say that the team had players with developing talent at the position. My take; he likes Gregg.

3. Eric Wood was interviewed. Wood likes E.J. Wood thinks he's a hard worker and thinks we will see a "jump" in his performance next year. Wood also likes the coaching staff and Marrone. He thinks Marrone has a good grasp on what this team needs to do to improve. He also said that the talent level of the team was improved this year and is looking forward to a better 2014.

There is a lot of negativity expressed here but I came away from yesterday's conference and interviews with a good feeling about next year's team.

Two more things about the Wood interview; Wood thinks that Cordy Glenn is approaching elite status and has enoumous talent. He also thinks Jeff Tuel has shown himself to be a good game manager and feels he was doing well vs. Kansas City and the goal line interception he threw was unfortunate in as much as it causes fans to view him badly. My take; he likes Tuel.

I agree...I'm not enamored with anyone coming out at the position anyway. I know there are a lot of talented kids at the position, but not an Andrew Luck type guy that you would kill for.

Some are comparing it to the 2011 QB class. If you don't remember that first round crop was Newton, Locker, Gabbert and Ponder. Dalton (Fitz II) and Kaepernick in the early 2nd.

2 arguably good QBs (Cam & Kaep), one game manager, two busts, and a walking injury report.

It's an easy argument to make and look real smart. I could start 32 threads and state that X QB on Y team is a bust and two years from now could pull up all those threads and I'd be right on around 70% of them.

That's the problem in the NFL, there are 32 teams and around a dozen really good elite QB's; another dozen or more you're hoping become great, in the end of those dozen maybe 2 or 3 will move up to next level. The QB's on the remaining teams are the 8 or 9 whom never move up to the next level go to a new team, sometime with a new offense, new personal around look better for awhile i.e. Fitz, then regress. Teams bring in new people and hope they are lucky. I really don't blame any of the front offices or praise the teams with the ten or so great ones as most with the exception of the two Manning s and Phillip Rivers weren't taken near the top. So more a case of luck than skill by those teams in drafting. RG3 and Luck may become the next couple of great ones taken at the top, I think Luck may be that guy, am wondering though about RG3 I'd be less surprised if he becomes the next Ryan Leaf.

I really think this notion of drafting another QB is crazy. Unless you're going to use a 1str round pick and make him the new starter, it's unlikely you'll get anyone much better than either Tuell or Lewis, and a Tuell or Lewis with one less year experience. You want to sign a guy like Shaub or Cutler if they become available, I'd be OK with that. If you don't see improvement from EJ go with the vet, but unless you feel there's a guy whop's head and shoulders better than EJ, why bother drafting him. And highly unlikely that guy would still be around at #9.

Two more things about the Wood interview; Wood thinks that Cordy Glenn is approaching elite status and has enoumous talent. He also thinks Jeff Tuel has shown himself to be a good game manager and feels he was doing well vs. Kansas City and the goal line interception he threw was unfortunate in as much as it causes fans to view him badly. My take; he likes Tuel.

I really think this notion of drafting another QB is crazy. Unless you're going to use a 1str round pick and make him the new starter, it's unlikely you'll get anyone much better than either Tuell or Lewis, and a Tuell or Lewis with one less year experience. You want to sign a guy like Shaub or Cutler if they become available, I'd be OK with that. If you don't see improvement from EJ go with the vet, but unless you feel there's a guy whop's head and shoulders better than EJ, why bother drafting him. And highly unlikely that guy would still be around at #9.

+1000

I have posted a few times that people should put some realism into their expectations. They are not going to fire all the coaches and hire Jon Gruden. They are not going to trade the entire draft for the next two years so they can move up to draft Teddy Bridgewater (or whoever the most desired QB might be).

They are not going to wiggle out of any present commitments to play in Toronto, although it makes sense to wish that they do not renew the series when the time comes.

My wish is smart drafting, trading and free agent pick-ups. We all know that a big WR, upgrades at TE, LB and O-Line are needed, and the Byrd situation must be addressed "intelligently" (whatever that means). Coaching upgrades at QB coach and ST coach, along with a smart pick up for the new WR coach are also desired. Other than that, there may not be much more that can be realistically wished for.

My Request;

Jordan Matthews WR

Aaron Donald DT

Shane Skov ILB

Henry Josey RB

Cyril Richardson OG/OT

Brandon Coleman WR

Colt Lyerla TE (Staying away from coke)

Trading back in the draft twice picking up a second and maybe a third.

And re-signing Byrd man :-)

Edited by NisherJr

Its nice to hear but what else do you expect Woods to say. I hv major concerns about Marrones grasp on anything as the one thing you hope for from a new coach in his first year is improvement throughout the year which we did not see

Some are comparing it to the 2011 QB class. If you don't remember that first round crop was Newton, Locker, Gabbert and Ponder. Dalton (Fitz II) and Kaepernick in the early 2nd.

2 arguably good QBs (Cam & Kaep), one game manager, two busts, and a walking injury report.

Disagree on Dalton being Fitz II. I don't think he is elite but he is way better then Fitz and has now made the playoffs 3 years in a row I believe and has improved each year.

Its nice to hear but what else do you expect Woods to say. I hv major concerns about Marrones grasp on anything as the one thing you hope for from a new coach in his first year is improvement throughout the year which we did not see

I think you're missing the point. Wood could have spoken about almost anything; eg., he likes Kyle Williams Marcell Darius, and other obvious things that we all like. But he specifically mentioned Marrone and Tuel. Marrone is a very very hot topic with many fans against him. Wood gave him a public vote of confidence. He didn't have to do that. Regarding Tuel, most here have forgotten him. Woods mentioned him. I think that speaks volumns. Since Wood is one of the leaders of this team, his opinion is much more important to me than any that I read here, except mine, of course.

1. Upgrade O-line

2. A run stuffing LB

3. A legit #1 WR

4. Resign Byrd

5. Resign Dan Carpenter!

6. Use CJ like they use Sproles in NO

Can't do 6. Spiller can't pick up blitz like you need a 3rd down back to. Agreed on rest.

Maybe legit lb in free agency WR in draft?

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood