Candidates to replace Marrone next January

BADOLBILZ

I am on board with hiring a college coach who is actually a proven winner and innovator. Marrone was neither. Malzahn may be that guy. I'd also be very happy with Rex Ryan as the H.C., though I don't think Coughlin, at his age, would want to coach here.

Where is The Senator when you need him? Mike Leach speech in 3...2...1 :thumbsup:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brevity is the soul of wit

You summed it up perfectly in only 4 words. Marrone is joined at the hip with EJ. If EJ takes a step forward and shows he's a legitimate NFL QB Marrone will be fine. If EJ fails to improve Marrone may be looking elsewhere for employment.

I am sorry if I offended you and your thread. Not my intention. I have posted on here myself since 1999.

I just think this thread (which has an obviously negative undertone) crosses the line from legitimate speculation into banal hypothetical scenarios. What's next? A thread about who will replace EJ in 2016 after he flames out.

But to each his own, I guess.

Sorry, that's been done

Y'all lighten up. If you don't like a thread leave it alone.

It's even that way in college now. They were talking about it last night on one of the bowl games.

Mack Brown won a national championship and played in another championship game at Texas but his next batch of QB recruits falled and now he is gone.

You've got to be all-in on improving your QB position.

Mack Brown won 2 conference titles in what, 16 years. He's lucky he lasted as long as he did & the only reason was because he's a better politician than coach.

Mack Brown won 2 conference titles in what, 16 years. He's lucky he lasted as long as he did & the only reason was because he's a better politician than coach.

I agree with that. Sad to see him go......as are all the other schools in Texas.

Hey. Picture this.

Rich Kotite

Ultimately, the only real difference between Kotite and Dick Jauron or Gregg Williams was that Kotite actually won a playoff game in his career. :lol:

Moral.......it may be able to get worse as a Bills fan......but when it comes to coaching.....not much so. :thumbsup:

Kevin Sumlin

He has been good. I don't know how his recruiting is going but I do know that they weren't very good outside of 4 guys on offense this year.

He has apparently said he isn't going to interview for any NFL jobs this year and I have to wonder if his star is going to fall a bit next year without Manziel.

Man, can't we just see another year... see how the team responds. See if EJ progresses. Even a discussion to replace him is silly at this point.

We don't know yet... He could be the next Bill Cower or Vince Lombardi...or he could be the next Rich Kotite/Hank Bullough/Marty Mornhinweg.

What scares me is he could be Chan Gailey... just competent enough, but not great to get amazing results out of average guys.

Stop making sense, not what this is about. It is about hyperbole and over reaction.

Mike Shanahan. Just 4 short years ago, he was the most popular choice around here. I hear he is available.

If Shanahan were a worse choice than Gailey then you would have a point.

In the end, history will shine very favorably on Shanahan because he has actual SB rings to show for it.......Gailey will be forgotten.

Most Bills fans won't even remember his name 10 years from now. They will probably only remember Wannstedt's NFL record setting defense. :lol:

And the likelihood is that Shanahan actually did acquire the franchise QB for Washington while in charge of personnel.

I'd take Bob Griffin over Bridgewater/ Manziel/ Bortles today so seems to me like he got something right.

It may take a couple years to build their talent base in Washington but hell, if EJ Manuel doesn't become something he has never been before......extraordinary......then there is a very real chance that the Bills are still at square one when Bob Griffin is back leading Washington into the playoffs.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Crossman will be fine if the team addresses special teams in free agency. Any links to top special teams free agents? :lol:

This would be much easier if any Bills coach ever had a coaching tree to graft a limb from.

A Bills HC with a SB ring for being a HC anywhere in the NFL has never walked that Buffalo sideline. Coughlin would certainly have that going for them.

I don't think any Bills HC search would be complete without some Russ Grimm speculation though.

Yeah, I doubt it too. But without a QB you are dead in the water. More likely it would be a house cleaning. EJ Manuel has to know that there are dozens of peoples jobs and living arrangements in his hands going into next year if they don't bring in some serious competition.

Art Briles is another guy to add to the list. He has been amazing at Baylor. I would think he would be the #1 option for UT to replace Mack Brown though........it would help Texas and hurt Baylor all at once.

Man, you and your agenda... You make it sound like EJ Manuel is lazy and not trying.

THE biggest selling point with Manuel was his intelligence and work ethic. Now, you can argue that it was over-sold and EJ is sitting home eating Bon-Bons, but I haven't seen any evidence that he is anything less than very bright and hard-working. To be clear, that doesn't always translate into success on the field, but I think it gives him a reasonable chance of success - and (I think) that he played pretty well for a rookie (the Tampa Bay melt-down aside).

I really don't know how anyone could judge a rookie QB walking into this situation. Going into the season, other than Stevie Johnson, the Bills WR corp had:

11 starts and 31 receptions among them (all by TJ Graham).

Woods, Goodwin, Hogan and Easley had never started an NFL game or even made a regular season catch!

What could anyone have reasonably expected from an offense set up like that?

I am not saying that I know that Manuel is the answer, but I do think that the Bills knew going into the season that there would be A LOT of growing pains for the offense.

If Shanahan were a worse choice than Gailey then you would have a point.

In the end, history will shine very favorably on Shanahan because he has actual SB rings to show for it.......Gailey will be forgotten.

Most Bills fans won't even remember his name 10 years from now. They will probably only remember Wannstedt's NFL record setting defense. :lol:

And the likelihood is that Shanahan actually did acquire the franchise QB for Washington while in charge of personnel.

I'd take Bob Griffin over Bridgewater/ Manziel/ Bortles today so seems to me like he got something right.

It may take a couple years to build their talent base in Washington but hell, if EJ Manuel doesn't become something he has never been before......extraordinary......then there is a very real chance that the Bills are still at square one when Bob Griffin is back leading Washington into the playoffs.

Wait, RG3 is a certain "franchise QB" while Manuel will never be any good? RG3 in his SECOND season had a QB rating of 82 while Manuel's in his rookie year (while missing considerable time) was 79. RG3 had 16 TDs and 12 INTs, while Manuel had 11 TDs and 9 INTs with only 1 experienced WR.

Now, I am not saying that Manuel is equal to RG3, but it sure seems like you've graded RG3 on a much easier curve than you have EJ Manuel.

Man, you and your agenda... You make it sound like EJ Manuel is lazy and not trying.

THE biggest selling point with Manuel was his intelligence and work ethic. Now, you can argue that it was over-sold and EJ is sitting home eating Bon-Bons, but I haven't seen any evidence that he is anything less than very bright and hard-working. To be clear, that doesn't always translate into success on the field, but I think it gives him a reasonable chance of success - and (I think) that he played pretty well for a rookie (the Tampa Bay melt-down aside).

I really don't know how anyone could judge a rookie QB walking into this situation. Going into the season, other than Stevie Johnson, the Bills WR corp had:

11 starts and 31 receptions among them (all by TJ Graham).

Woods, Goodwin, Hogan and Easley had never started an NFL game or even made a regular season catch!

What could anyone have reasonably expected from an offense set up like that?

I am not saying that I know that Manuel is the answer, but I do think that the Bills knew going into the season that there would be A LOT of growing pains for the offense.

Never once implied that EJ doesn't work hard enough or isn't intelligent enough.

The reality is that the man has been an NFL QB in training for a long time. Yet struggles with some pretty routine mechanics.

What some people might not realize about EJ is that even though he is a normal height for a QB he has the wingspan and legs of a 7' tall man.

Getting all those long limbs to work in conjunction has clearly been a challenge.

I've used the Randy Johnson comparison. Randy pitched professionally for close to ten years before he harnessed his accuracy. Most pitchers that tall never do.

It's pretty iffy to think it's going to come together for EJ in 7-8 months.

All-the-while he still has to answer whether his injury issues are surmountable, whether he can find a way to start games by NOT being awful(clearly a mental hurdle), and whether his slow eyes are correctable.

To me, the guy is a project. Lots of upside......but this could be a guy who emerges 4-5-6 years into his career as opposed to next year.

I hope I am wrong, but if the Bills don't get good QB play next year I expect them to quit on Marrone.......and if they quit on him he will have to be replaced whether Russ and Whaley want to or not.

Never once implied that EJ doesn't work hard enough or isn't intelligent enough.

The reality is that the man has been an NFL QB in training for a long time. Yet struggles with some pretty routine mechanics.

What some people might not realize about EJ is that even though he is a normal height for a QB he has the wingspan and legs of a 7' tall man.

Getting all those long limbs to work in conjunction has clearly been a challenge.

I've used the Randy Johnson comparison. Randy pitched professionally for close to ten years before he harnessed his accuracy. Most pitchers that tall never do.

It's pretty iffy to think it's going to come together for EJ in 7-8 months.

All-the-while he still has to answer whether his injury issues are surmountable, whether he can find a way to start games by NOT being awful(clearly a mental hurdle), and whether his slow eyes are correctable.

To me, the guy is a project. Lots of upside......but this could be a guy who emerges 4-5-6 years into his career as opposed to next year.

I hope I am wrong, but if the Bills don't get good QB play next year I expect them to quit on Marrone.......and if they quit on him he will have to be replaced whether Russ and Whaley want to or not.

But, you just said elsewhere that RB3 was almost certainly a franchise QB. Hasn't he missed more time than Manuel and wasn't his injury more serious?

Again, I am not here to say that EJ Manuel will or won't become a good starting QB, only to say that it is too soon to tell and in comparison to RG3 after this year, I don't see a lot to tell the two apart - yet you seem to think that there is a world of difference between them.

To be clear, would I trade Manuel for RG3 straight up right now? Yes, I would, but given this year I wouldn't throw in a lot more to get Griffin. He might become a great QB, but it isn't a sure bet. Just as it isn't a foregone conclusion that Manuel will fail. Let Manuel grow with some of the young receivers for another year (or heaven forbid 2 years) and see where they are.

In the meantime, If an Andrew Luck type QB prospect happens to be available at #9 this year (won't be), then by all means draft him. Else, if there is a decent QB prospect available in a later round (maybe someone who got hurt this year like Aaron Murray) then sure nab him, but don't give up on Manuel so soon - especially given the immaturity of the rest of the offense that he was saddled with.

But, you just said elsewhere that RB3 was almost certainly a franchise QB. Hasn't he missed more time than Manuel and wasn't his injury more serious?

Again, I am not here to say that EJ Manuel will or won't become a good starting QB, only to say that it is too soon to tell and in comparison to RG3 after this year, I don't see a lot to tell the two apart - yet you seem to think that there is a world of difference between them.

To be clear, would I trade Manuel for RG3 straight up right now? Yes, I would, but given this year I wouldn't throw in a lot more to get Griffin. He might become a great QB, but it isn't a sure bet. Just as it isn't a foregone conclusion that Manuel will fail. Let Manuel grow with some of the young receivers for another year (or heaven forbid 2 years) and see where they are.

In the meantime, If an Andrew Luck type QB prospect happens to be available at #9 this year (won't be), then by all means draft him. Else, if there is a decent QB prospect available in a later round (maybe someone who got hurt this year like Aaron Murray) then sure nab him, but don't give up on Manuel so soon - especially given the immaturity of the rest of the offense that he was saddled with.

WRT to Manuel injuries.......just one of MANY questions about EJ.

WRT Bob Griffin versus EJ......Bob has displayed greatness in his career. Both in college and during his 20 TD 5 INT 102.5 QBR rookie NFL season.

EJ has never shown greatness in college or, obviously, as a pro. He is literally nothing more than a height and arm strength prospect that people think can bloom into a good NFL QB.