U.S. teens smoke more marijuana, but back off other drugs -survey

Exiled, I know from experience. I'm a drug addict with 3 years sober and I started with weed, just like the hundreds of people I've worked with over that amount of time. People do not just start shooting up heroin, and smoking weed doesn't mean you'll eventually shoot up heroin either BUT those that shoot heroin most of the time start with alcohol or weed.

Fair enough and thanks for the valuable incite... Then make alcohol illegal? It is not the weeds fault, just as it is not the booze's fault.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on! What makes one move from weed to the other stuff? If people move on, it is because weed is illegal. Get your next fix of weed @ the local Circle K, and nobody moves on (well there are always some). Treat it like alcohol and weed becomes NOT a gateway.

You said all drugs are gateways... Where does alcohol lead people? And... You can't say pissing in the sinks @ The Ralph. ;-P ;-P

I said all drugs are gateway drugs. That one was me.

I think my original statement holds true as anyone has more money, you try more things. You drink beer, then you drink liquor, I guess that is a progression.

Maybe some people just drink, and never try anything else. I think it leads many to cigarettes, smoking weed, taking pills, etc. It is a matter of being able to and then deciding if that is for you.

Edited by Security

alcohol is much more a gateway then weed IMO.

give me too much of the alcohol and yes why i will snort that white stuff off that woman's behind.

alcohol = out of control

weed = meh, someone grab me a cheeseburger. lets go watch tv.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I tend to agree with this as said before.

But what doesn't become a gateway? Expecially when dealing with substances that lower one's inhibitions? Such is life... Better to deal with it over the table!

ya, I think alcohol is more of a gateway for stupidity then anything

Ha. Teens smoking and drinking. Its always going to be going on. There are kids who smoke and kids who are potheads. There is a difference.

I'd much rather have a good beer before I'd think of lighting a joint. Much safer to drink beer

You can several beers over a period of time, and not be drunk. You smoke weed, and you you ARE high.

I like both (and I typically drink many more than just several beers, I like the drunk feeling too)!

Of course it is. Like I said, drug abusers very rarely start with opiates or cocaine. People by nature work their way up.

Yet... To some extent that culture can be changed! Like the OP's link suggests? True there will be some that move to harder sh*t... But legalize weed, I think you lessen that trend and create more of a stigma on the harder stuff. Lump weed in with horse and of course some will feel the need for the bump!

Hey I kinda made a funny there... I just rolled with it! ;-)

You can several beers over a period of time, and not be drunk. You smoke weed, and you you ARE high.

True... I was thinking that. Can one "socially" consume weed? ??

Legalize it and regulate potency, like beer... Can that solve the problem?

ya, If we're talking prescription drugs, thats a whole different story

YEP! And that beast just has to be rolled with.

Not in this context, you said that the gateway was legality. Scripts are legal. I contest that the gateway is the feeling you get

In the hundreds of drug addicts I've worked with I have yet to find one that says their addiction had anything to do with it being illegal. It's the same thing every time- they liked the feeling it gave them and they wanted to escape for a "little while"

Not in this context, you said that the gateway was legality. Scripts are legal. I contest that the gateway is the feeling you get

You must keep in mind that at the core of 90% of addicts is a violent criminal, per the dog study. These people will do anything they can to feed their addiction. Its not about chemically induced highs, its about the rush of committing crimes.

In the hundreds of drug addicts I've worked with I have yet to find one that says their addiction had anything to do with it being illegal. It's the same thing every time- they liked the feeling it gave them and they wanted to escape for a "little while"

I agree that it is the feeling. You like the feeling one thing gave you, and you have resources and availability to try something else, you just might and could be more apt too.