Should the Bills draft a LT and switch Glenn to LG?

Jerry Jabber

Should the Bills draft a LT and switch Glenn to LG?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills draft a LT and switch Glenn to LG?

We all know the LG position is a big area of need this offseason as the Bills haven't had good play from that spot all year. Instead of drafting a LG or signing one in free agency, should the Bills switch Glenn to LG and draft a LT in the early rounds of the draft? This is not to say that Glenn hasn't been doing a good job at LT. Earlier in the year on NFLN, Mike Mayock stated that he feels with Glenn's size, that if he made the transition to LG, that he could easily be a probowl guard. Your thoughts?

Jerry i really thought we covered this last year .

I wish you would pay better attention : )

Glenn is a very good LT but he could be the best LG in the league. I'd say draft one of these top linemen coming out with one of the first two picks and let them compete. If Glenn works best at LG and the new draft pick is solid at LT, then make the switch. It would be a big boost to the run game.

Pears has to be replaced. Let's not forget about Chris Hairston and this should be a deep tackle class coming out for a later pick to come in and compete.

because ?

Cordy also could become the best LT in the league. And in short order sir. If we had an upgrade at LG ?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry i really thought we covered this last year .

I wish you would pay better attention : )

because ?

Cordy also could become the best LT in the league. And in short order sir. If we had an upgrade at LG ?

Just because it was discussed before means it can't be discussed again?

The top rated player might be an OT when the Bills draft, but I would think if Glenn moves it should be to ROT. A potential better OLT would make for an outstanding pair of bookend tackles. They could still pick an OG later in the draft and upgrade two spots on the line.

But how has Pears been playing? How much is there a need at ROT? I think Pears is strictly a tackle. I don't think he's a fit inside.

Pears is only signed through this year, so moving Glenn inside with the intention of moving him back outside the following year would be the only way I would want to see Glenn as an OG.

We all know the LG position is a big area of need this offseason as the Bills haven't had good play from that spot all year. Instead of drafting a LG or signing one in free agency, should the Bills switch Glenn to LG and draft a LT in the early rounds of the draft? This is not to say that Glenn hasn't been doing a good job at LT. Earlier in the year on NFLN, Mike Mayock stated that he feels with Glenn's size, that if he made the transition to LG, that he could easily be a probowl guard. Your thoughts?

Nope. He could easily be a probowl tackle too.

What I agreed about was the difference Levitre made in the run game during his time in Buffalo. I don't watch the Titans and don't care to either. I have no clue how the rest of the Titans O-line looks and don't give a damn. Ever since the Music City Nightmare, I hope that team loses every game they play! So if you're such a big Titans/C. Johnson fan, go on their board.

IMO, it was a huge mistake in letting Levitre walk and not resigning Joe D'Allessandris as the O-line coach.

I disagree. We ran a bit better last year, but it was mostly because we were running the spread, which kept the middle of the defense open and uncongested. And that's the type of offense Levitre fit. Levitre was never a road grader or anything like it. He was a terrific pass blocker, one of the best guards in the league at that, and he was excellent at pulling. But in terms of straight-ahead run blocking he was never all that good.

IMHO that's the reason they didn't even try to re-sign him. They didn't even make an offer, and surely they would have made an offer hoping to get a hometown discount if they thought he fit the scheme. I think the new scheme is not a spread offense and because of that they want big strong guys who can simply beat the heck out of whoever's in front of them, and that's not Levitre.

In any case, LTs are a great deal more valuable and harder to find than Gs. If you doubt that, just look at where the best tackles are drafted compared to the best guards. Look at the salaries paid to the best tackles and compare it to the significantly lower salaries paid to the best guards.

Fewer guys can play LT at a high level, and LTs do a lot more to keep your QB live and kicking than LGs do. They face the opponent's best pass rusher day in and day out. So you don't take a very good LT and move him to LG because he might be very good. It would be like Miami deciding that Tannehill could be a terrific receiver so they want to switch him back there. Even if he might be a better WR than QB you don't make that switch from extremely important position to fairly important position when the guy's playing the extremely important position at a high level.

What? "Tennessee's CJ" is having the worst year of his career......

yes statistically it appears that way but what I am saying is that he Tennessee online has been VASTLY improved all season and is already considered a top 10 online in the league whereas last year they were dead last. Our line has played considerably worse than last year. I know schemes, players, and coaches all play major roles in that, but Levitre has been the most glaring loss on our team by a mile. Our yards per carry this season have gone down a full yard which is huge over the course of a season and 500 or so rushing attempts.

I disagree. We ran a bit better last year, but it was mostly because we were running the spread, which kept the middle of the defense open and uncongested. And that's the type of offense Levitre fit. Levitre was never a road grader or anything like it. He was a terrific pass blocker, one of the best guards in the league at that, and he was excellent at pulling. But in terms of straight-ahead run blocking he was never all that good.

IMHO that's the reason they didn't even try to re-sign him. They didn't even make an offer, and surely they would have made an offer hoping to get a hometown discount if they thought he fit the scheme. I think the new scheme is not a spread offense and because of that they want big strong guys who can simply beat the heck out of whoever's in front of them, and that's not Levitre.

In any case, LTs are a great deal more valuable and harder to find than Gs. If you doubt that, just look at where the best tackles are drafted compared to the best guards. Look at the salaries paid to the best tackles and compare it to the significantly lower salaries paid to the best guards.

Fewer guys can play LT at a high level, and LTs do a lot more to keep your QB live and kicking than LGs do. They face the opponent's best pass rusher day in and day out. So you don't take a very good LT and move him to LG because he might be very good. It would be like Miami deciding that Tannehill could be a terrific receiver so they want to switch him back there. Even if he might be a better WR than QB you don't make that switch from extremely important position to fairly important position when the guy's playing the extremely important position at a high level.

could not disagree more. A pro bowl caliber guard is still a pro bowl caliber guard. He will work his way into whatever the scheme may be. This is a man that they moved to tackle when the injury but hit!! Not many guards in he NFL can do that as effectively as Andy did. I can't stand when fans defend some of the obvious stupidity this team has put out there this decade. Money that could have gone to Andy and jbyrd is going to guys who are already gone or should be gone. Then we stay status quo at 5-7 wins every year. This team does not have enough talent to let good players go year after year and replace them with cheaper journeyman veterans.

could not disagree more. A pro bowl caliber guard is still a pro bowl caliber guard. He will work his way into whatever the scheme may be. This is a man that they moved to tackle when the injury but hit!! Not many guards in he NFL can do that as effectively as Andy did. I can't stand when fans defend some of the obvious stupidity this team has put out there this decade. Money that could have gone to Andy and jbyrd is going to guys who are already gone or should be gone. Then we stay status quo at 5-7 wins every year. This team does not have enough talent to let good players go year after year and replace them with cheaper journeyman veterans.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We won 6 games last year with Levitre. I think the Titans have 5 wins. guards don't win games. Especially $8 million/ year ones who haven't made a pro bowl.

We won 6 games last year with Levitre. I think the Titans have 5 wins. guards don't win games. Especially $8 million/ year ones who haven't made a pro bowl.

Probowl is a popularity contest. How many times did Darryl Talley make the Probowl?

In regards to winning games, you need one major piece of the puzzle to help you win games...and that's a QB (something the Bills have been missing since the 1990's).

Easier to find a guard than a bona fide LT and Glenn is the later.

Draft a quality guard in the 3rd or 4th round - this draft is pretty deep at G.

1. Louis Nix - NT 6'3'' 326 Notre Dame

2. Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix - 6'1" FS Bama - Would be a DB in our secondary, but with Byrd probably moving on?? Most of the top DBs in the draft are smurfs. Clinton-Dix will probably go in the 1st, but he is one of the few DBs with decent height and ball-hawking skills. (never can have enough quality corners - it is a passing league)

3. Jenkins - TE Washington

4. La'el Collins - OG 6'5" 321 LSU - (doubt he will fall this far) a junior, but has played guard and LT. Lots of upside could be that swing lineman you like to have who plays guard, but could be moved to LT in a pinch or may push for that spot

or

Jon Halapio - OG 6'3" 320 Florida - Pure guard, was a reliable solid iron man till his senior year when he tore a pec muscle over the summer hitting the weight room - came back and played the last 10 games and did well.

5. Tre Burton Florida or Rutgers' Deering - smart versatile players who can run with the ball that project as WR (though Deering played defense along with just about every position at Rutgers) - if the team starts thinking about life after SJ and they need a slot RAC WR either of these may fit the bill.

6. Maybe here you draft the best remaining QB for competition and to compete for the spot behind Manuel.

7. Best available durable RB