Wide Receivers?

Which is why we should sign a WR in free agency.

Anquan Boldin or James Jones.

I'm suuure Boldin would love to end his career in Buffalo.

Why do you think Jones would be a good free agent signing, given the loss of a (very) potential compensatory pick and a high salary for someone who doesn't fit the profile we're looking for and hasn't been tremendously productive?

We don't need a high draft pick receiver if we don't have the right guy throwing him the ball. We need to use that high pick on another QB. Receiver is one of our strongest positions on the roster. A starting three of JOhnson, Woods and Goodwin is very formidable. Graham, 7 11, and Easley are good depth guys. I'd rather see them draft a gang changing "weapon" at the tight end position.

Easley is horrible depth at wide receiver, and I don't see Hogan's value.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 times aren't everything but Evans does looks slow on tape. Part of the reason is he's not fluid, he has a little stiffness in his hips. Someone like Fitzgerald (or woods for that matter) can run a slower 40 but make up for it because he's fluid and comes out of his breaks clean which creates separation (in addition to having amazing hands.)

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. He looks pretty fluid on his slants to me.

I understand the 40 time and how to use that information.

My point is on tape he looks slow, at the same time he is blowing past college DBs.

So the 40 time is going to shed some light on whether the college DBs were just scrubs or Evans can actually move fast. That is my point. I think Mike Evans 40 time is going to have a lot of eyeballs on it as well. You might even see prominent coaches watch that one 1st hand a la Harbaugh Te'O and his 40.

The trick is to find a blend of big and athletic without getting stuck wasting a pick on the next James Hardy.

Personally I'd rather run a two TE set with Chamdler and the best rookie TE in the nation, whoever that is.

Its hard to find James Hardy. That was a stupid pick. The Indiana offense was horrible and the tape of James Hardy is mostly of him standing in the back of the endzone catching TDs over tiny DBs.

Yes Hardy was tall. Yes Evans is tall but that is where there college similarities end.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. He looks pretty fluid on his slants to me.

I understand the 40 time and how to use that information.

My point is on tape he looks slow, at the same time he is blowing past college DBs.

So the 40 time is going to shed some light on whether the college DBs were just scrubs or Evans can actually move fast. That is my point. I think Mike Evans 40 time is going to have a lot of eyeballs on it as well. You might even see prominent coaches watch that one 1st hand a la Harbaugh Te'O and his 40.

Its hard to find James Hardy. That was a stupid pick. The Indiana offense was horrible and the tape of James Hardy is mostly of him standing in the back of the endzone catching TDs over tiny DBs.

Yes Hardy was tall. Yes Evans is tall but that is where there college similarities end.

I'd be much more comfortable taking Ebron, who can split out wide, than Evans.

I'd be much more comfortable taking Ebron, who can split out wide, than Evans.

I like the idea of Ebron.

The thing that tips the scale for me for Evans is that he was the focus of the passing offense. You had Les Miles and Nick Saban game planning for Evans specifically and they couldn't take him out of the game. Yes you had Manziel running around like a wild man extending the play but imo Manziel needed Evans more than Evans needed Manziel.

So you have a primary receiver playing at a high level in the SEC where the teams know that Manziel is going to scramble then look for Evans and they still connect.

But don't get me wrong I wouldn't kick Ebron or Austin S-J off the board either.

Robinson has a Woods body type and is 6'3". He'd be a good RD2 alternative if coleman's been picked.

Forgot about Cajuste. Wonder if he'd declare, I wouldn't if I were him.

DJ Coles of VaTech is zooming up our board, he's a solid guy who may end up in the 3rd or 4th round.

http://www.drafttek....-2014-Draft.asp

Robinson looks a lot like Stevie Johnson. Very good player but not necessarily the game changing WR I think Bills fans envision. I agree that he probably should be drafted about where Woods was, Would be typical Bills to trade Stevie for a 4th round pick and then draft Robinson in round 1. :lol:

To me and a lot of other people here the OBVIOUS need in the receiving corps is a TE who can split the seam. The Bills seem to have taken a Pittsburgh Steelers approach by drafting Mike Wallace/Antonio Brown type WR to take the top off of defenses and the way to maximize the effectiveness of those players is to have a deep threat TE to keep the safeties from cheating to protect the sidelines from long throws to Goodwin and Graham.

That same player would be able to contribute in the redzone. The question is whether or not the available TE prospects warrant being selected over better players at other positions. Mike Evans might be considerably better than the TE prospects....but he has been used almost exclusively as an outside target at A&M so while adding him might improve the Bills outside game it also likely takes one of those other WR the Bills have invested in out of the game while still not forcing the safeties to protect the middle of the field.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

I like the idea of Ebron.

The thing that tips the scale for me for Evans is that he was the focus of the passing offense. You had Les Miles and Nick Saban game planning for Evans specifically and they couldn't take him out of the game. Yes you had Manziel running around like a wild man extending the play but imo Manziel needed Evans more than Evans needed Manziel.

So you have a primary receiver playing at a high level in the SEC where the teams know that Manziel is going to scramble then look for Evans and they still connect.

But don't get me wrong I wouldn't kick Ebron or Austin S-J off the board either.

Austin S-J would not be on my first or second round board. A DUI is too big of a red flag to risk such a valuable pick.

Talking about needing WRs at this point is putting the cart in front of the horse. Until their is a QB that can make the throws whats the point?

Until there is an Off line that can protect the QB there is no point in having a qb who can make the throws etc. till there is an offensive coordinator who can call plays etc.

I am kidding Art .

Robinson looks a lot like Stevie Johnson. Very good player but not necessarily the game changing WR I think Bills fans envision. I agree that he probably should be drafted about where Woods was, Would be typical Bills to trade Stevie for a 4th round pick and then draft Robinson in round 1. :lol:

To me and a lot of other people here the OBVIOUS need in the receiving corps is a TE who can split the seam. The Bills seem to have taken a Pittsburgh Steelers approach by drafting Mike Wallace/Antonio Brown type WR to take the top off of defenses and the way to maximize the effectiveness of those players is to have a deep threat TE to keep the safeties from cheating to protect the sidelines from long throws to Goodwin and Graham.

That same player would be able to contribute in the redzone. The question is whether or not the available TE prospects warrant being selected over better players at other positions. Mike Evans might be considerably better than the TE prospects....but he has been used almost exclusively as an outside target at A&M so while adding him might improve the Bills outside game it also likely takes one of those other WR the Bills have invested in out of the game while still not forcing the safeties to protect the middle of the field.

You have two very well sorted points . Thats some darned good insight Coach. used a first round pick on Mr Evans and the Bills problem is not solved .

So the question then become i thinks , is there a jGraham type potential draftee playing the WR position who could translate to this role, and would worry the safeties ?

It should be pointed out that (I assume) those games are from last year and in the other video against Alabama in 2013 he looks better. Don't know about the other games in 2013 because I don't watch too much of college football. I think the throws are better by Johnny in 2013 too.

When I watched the 2012 video I thought of David Nelson, but I thought Nelson caught the ball better. Bad technique along the sideline and in the one game he seemed to be making the first down sign with the ball in one hand while inbounds and guys were tackling him. Signs of a knucklehead? If he is in the running for our pick I'll take a look at some of the other 2013 games for fun. T'eo was a top 5 pick before he ran into some competition so it's even tougher to say who's going to be in the top 10 at this point.

Very good point, which i meant to bring up yesterday in response to his critics. Evans just turned 20yrs old this past season. He was 19 yrs old in those 2012 vidoes. Mistakes are going to happen. Hes continued to improve as a WR and completely destroyed the alabama defense this year. Guy is still raw, but a potential beast

I see your point but I don't think they respect the WRs today. They do seem to have Safety help over top for Goodwin and Graham(even though he can't catch a cold) but other than that most teams are fine with letting the WRs catch balls if they beat single coverage.

You have to game plan for Evans.

Evans = X, Woods = Z and Johnson = Slot. Then you can have Chandler run seem routes down the middle or have Graham in on 4 WR sets to run fly routes opposite side of Evans.

I see your point though.

Goodwin/Graham=X, Woods =Z and Johnson =Slot. Then have a fast threat at TE running Deep Seem routes on the strong side (away from X)

I like that too.

Chandler's not Jimmy Graham but he is a great TE2. You can even pass out of a two Tight end, FB set with just Woods or Graham wide like Harbaugh is doing in San Fran.

Like I said I'm good either way. As long as the Bills draft Big Body Receiving threats early and often.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Until there is an Off line that can protect the QB there is no point in having a qb who can make the throws etc. till there is an offensive coordinator who can call plays etc.

I am kidding Art .

You have two very well sorted points . Thats some darned good insight Coach. used a first round pick on Mr Evans and the Bills problem is not solved .

So the question then become i thinks , is there a jGraham type potential draftee playing the WR position who could translate to this role, and would worry the safeties ?

There are a number of TE prospects in this draft who appear to have the ability to make big plays and there will probably be some off-radar basketball types who will draw attention during the draft process as well. It's just a hard position to project because it is such a physically demanding position. It's hard to build a pass offense around TE play because a good one can be hard to replace. NE is finding that out now.

Very good point, which i meant to bring up yesterday in response to his critics. Evans just turned 20yrs old this past season. He was 19 yrs old in those 2012 vidoes. Mistakes are going to happen. Hes continued to improve as a WR and completely destroyed the alabama defense this year. Guy is still raw, but a potential beast

Regarding your sig, I highly doubt Ebron will be available for us in the second.

I see your point but I don't think they respect the WRs today. They do seem to have Safety help over top for Goodwin and Graham(even though he can't catch a cold) but other than that most teams are fine with letting the WRs catch balls if they beat single coverage.

You have to game plan for Evans.

Evans = X, Woods = Z and Johnson = Slot. Then you can have Chandler run seem routes down the middle or have Graham in on 4 WR sets to run fly routes opposite side of Evans.

I see your point though.

Goodwin/Graham=X, Woods =Z and Johnson =Slot. Then have a fast threat at TE running Deep Seem routes on the strong side (away from X)

I like that too.

Chandler's not Jimmy Graham but he is a great TE2. You can even pass out of a two Tight end, FB set with just Woods or Graham wide like Harbaugh is doing in San Fran.

Like I said I'm good either way. As long as the Bills draft Big Body Receiving threats early and often.

I think if you get a big, outside option you still need that TE I am talking about.

Chandler is not fast. He is a basically a horizontal route runner at this point in his career, hardly a threat to bust the seam for a 30 yard TD or flex out to a WR position.

And if you try to replace both positions, you pretty much have no real need for Goodwin and Graham. They are under contract but those picks were wasted if they are on the sideline.

The other thing: I think people need to come to grips with Stevie probably NOT working out as a slot receiver.

His skillset seems like a good fit but the results have not been good this season and I don't think the want-to.......or perhaps the "can do" phyiscally.... is there. He made his money on the outside......he's been constantly nicked up for most of the past 3 years.......I am not sure why people think he wants to suddenly go play the most physically demanding, least appreciated and usually lowest paid WR position. That gator arm play in Tampa was a prime example of what a slot receiver can't do.

Someone please tell me there's a Calvin Johnson type receiver out there in college waiting to be drafted by us. Or, barring that, another Julio Jones type. We need WRs badly. Any college fans out there know of anyone that's coming available this year?

Jordan Matthews from Vanderbilt!! 100 catches in the SEC! Julio Jones or AJ Green hasn't accomplished thie feat!

Edited by the skycap