Lewis to start / Manuel out

26CornerBlitz

Bruising his confidence doesn't seem like an issue for EJ. Look at the way he bounced back vs the Jags. Geno Smith would still be moping after a start like that.

But I'm pretty sure, too, that Marrone won't play EJ next week if he's still feeling the knee. No sense in ruining him.

In the meantime I look forward to seeing what Thad Lewis can do.

PTR

You're right, he showed signs of being mentally tough, but the very idea that the coaches felt he needed early-game-kid-glove-treatment in the first place tells me they wanted to boost his confidence synthetically. The first part of the game had a bunch of throw and catches teed up that would have eased him in. This backfired, obviously, but there was definitely some scheming behind the scenes that tells me they were concerned with getting him some completions early.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This never makes sense to me. All I read here is how a team will surely suck without a good quarterback, and yet many people feel they can find a quarterback in a later round just as easily as they can find one in the first. If the quarterback is the one position that will make or break your team, then you either want the guy or you don't. If you want him, why the hell would you wait until a late round to take the guy you want? Because you want 'value' or you don't want dopes like Mel Kiper making fun of your pick?

Do you really think a guy who is slated to go in a fourth or fifth round is assured to compete with Manuel? And if he doesn't, do we spend another draft pick on another late round quarterback next year until we find our Tom Brady? Do you hear how stupid this all sounds?

Either Manual is your quarterback or he's not. Drafting a late round guy because you're not sure about Manuel tells me you need to find another job.

how many starting QB's are even first round picks any more. Kaepernic, Wilson, Brees, Brady. The best QB of the last draft wasn't taken in the first. Manuel shouldn't have been taken that high. If draft position directly related NFL production you're point would be valid.

Next year everyone will be using this year as EJ's excuse for under performing. I'm not cool with that. Draft some real competition.

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills 6m

Why Marrone isn't shutting EJ down for season http://wp.me/plmrg-9pF

Bills head coach Doug Marrone, in choosing to sit EJ Manuel this week due to a lack of mobility stemming from his knee injury, in the next breath said that he was “110 percent confident” that Manuel would be ready to start in the season finale at New England next week. With this being his third knee injury of the season that comment prompted the question of, ‘Why not just shut him down for the rest of the year?’

Here was Marrone’s response.

“Every snap, every time we can get him in there, that type of experience, the better and better he gets,” said Marrone. “And we’ve seen that with him. We’ve seen, make no mistake about it, last game we saw him get off to a tough start and then really start to play well. We’ve seen him, at times, play extremely well in games. And that type of experience, that’s what we need. So, that’s why it’s not ‑‑ I don’t even think of (sitting him for the season).”

For Manuel the only solace he took in not being able to play this weekend was having the opportunity to play in Week 17 against the Patriots.

“That’s it. You can’t play this week, just start preparing for the following week when you can play,” Manuel said. “It’s adversity and that’s all you can really say about it. I have to look it right in the eye and combat it and be ready when I can play next week versus New England and come out there, play well and finish the season strong.”

The crazy thing right now is to say "he is not injury prone"....uuuummmm....yes he is! Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, all the great and good QB's, even Eli...lol...have not missed a snap this season. In fact, other than the major injuries where Brady, Manning, Brees, missed the season, they don't get hurt! Favre played like 18 years b4 missing a game. I know that was crazy, but still. He's our "franchise" QB, who has missed 5 games this season I believe, and if you count the 2nd half of the Browns game, 5.5. Throw in the Pre-season because yea, he wasn't healthy enough to play, so 7.5 games he has been hurt. To say that he just needs a whole off season to heal...okay so he does. then come next year takes another shot to the knees, which he will, he goes out again?!?! we need to draft another QB, preferably Johnny Football, keep EJ and Thad, both have proven they can win, see how EJ does and then if we have another rookie, see how he does if and when EJ goes down. Or if that rookie proves to be decent enough to start give him a shot, if that doesn't work you have EJ or Thad to try and develop as well. Maybe throw in a decent vet like Schaub or Vick, he would fit perfectally with our other QB's. Thad, EJ, Vick tend to get hurt but all kind of same. just insert QB and keep playing, between the 3 should be able to finish the season.

The crazy thing right now is to say "he is not injury prone"....uuuummmm....yes he is! Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, all the great and good QB's, even Eli...lol...have not missed a snap this season. In fact, other than the major injuries where Brady, Manning, Brees, missed the season, they don't get hurt! Favre played like 18 years b4 missing a game. I know that was crazy, but still. He's our "franchise" QB, who has missed 5 games this season I believe, and if you count the 2nd half of the Browns game, 5.5. Throw in the Pre-season because yea, he wasn't healthy enough to play, so 7.5 games he has been hurt. To say that he just needs a whole off season to heal...okay so he does. then come next year takes another shot to the knees, which he will, he goes out again?!?! we need to draft another QB, preferably Johnny Football, keep EJ and Thad, both have proven they can win, see how EJ does and then if we have another rookie, see how he does if and when EJ goes down. Or if that rookie proves to be decent enough to start give him a shot, if that doesn't work you have EJ or Thad to try and develop as well. Maybe throw in a decent vet like Schaub or Vick, he would fit perfectally with our other QB's. Thad, EJ, Vick tend to get hurt but all kind of same. just insert QB and keep playing, between the 3 should be able to finish the season.

So we are throwing out any times that players miss entire seasons but counting smaller batches of games where EJ gets hurt? That doesnt make much sense.

You're right, he showed signs of being mentally tough, but the very idea that the coaches felt he needed early-game-kid-glove-treatment in the first place tells me they wanted to boost his confidence synthetically. The first part of the game had a bunch of throw and catches teed up that would have eased him in. This backfired, obviously, but there was definitely some scheming behind the scenes that tells me they were concerned with getting him some completions early.

Intersting, that wasn't my take at all. I thought they knew the JAX DBs would be playing off and wanted to draw them up closer to the LOS and make them jam on man coverage to allow some shots down field.

So we are throwing out any times that players miss entire seasons but counting smaller batches of games where EJ gets hurt? That doesnt make much sense.

how doesn't that make sense? Brady had his leg broke in half by an illegal low hit, Manning was some nerve degeneration and Brees had his shoulder blasted. EJ has been hit "normally" and is getting hurt left and right, and in the knees where he's going to take many many more hits. Other than those "Major" ONE TIME deals, they never miss a game. Look at Vick, never healthy, great player but can't rely on him. Fitz got crushed nearly every down, he was one tough dude, hardly missed a game, if at all.

I'd go with "unlucky" for the time being.

I mean, a guy who plays football from the time he is 12 without sustaining any injuries whatsoever until his first season in the NFL doesn't sound like a guy who's "injury prone" to me.

Intersting, that wasn't my take at all. I thought they knew the JAX DBs would be playing off and wanted to draw them up closer to the LOS and make them jam on man coverage to allow some shots down field.

Also interesting. I would counter by saying: isn't that what our run game is for?

and, all of those QB's have been playing for 8, 9, 10 plus seasons...EJ can't get through a thrid without getting hurt....all I am saying is you need a backup plan, to say he isn't injury prone and "he's not going to get hurt again" is asinine!

Methinks if Thad beats the Dolphins...again...Bills fans will still insist we need a better "back up plan."

I mean, a guy who plays football from the time he is 12 without sustaining any injuries whatsoever until his first season in the NFL doesn't sound like a guy who's "injury prone" to me.

I just read one of the articles linked on this site, paraphrasing "the NFL is a different animal" playing pee wee, high school and even college where you are bigger, faster and better than everyone, you are less likely to get hurt. it's facts not luck

EJ was injured in his Junior year at FSU. A minor one, but just keeping it real. Plus, NFL players are more punishing. Correct, it is too early to give him this label, but it should stop the Bills from drafting a health insurance policy.

how many starting QB's are even first round picks any more. Kaepernic, Wilson, Brees, Brady. The best QB of the last draft wasn't taken in the first. Manuel shouldn't have been taken that high. If draft position directly related NFL production you're point would be valid.

Next year everyone will be using this year as EJ's excuse for under performing. I'm not cool with that. Draft some real competition.

Who is it?

I thought EJ was this flame-throwing, extremely mobile QB coming out of FSU. In Buffalo he runs like a 40 yr old, looks awkward in the pocket and throws lazy wrist passes. Great guy, hard worker...but the jury is very much out on him.

What? The jury is still out on a rookie signal caller after about a half season of games?

Thanks !

In other news scientists are not yet sure if that asteroid will hit earth in 2542.

Also it might be a white Christmas next year, but it's probably too soon to know.

I think he means Russel Wilson...which is hard to argue with. it's between him and luck definitely.

We just don't know this yet. It takes multiple seasons.

Also interesting. I would counter by saying: isn't that what our run game is for?

The run game will draw up a safety and LBs, but WR/bubble screens will draw up the CBs on the outside more quickly than the running game will.

You may have hit the nail on the head in that they were trying to help EJ find some confidence and get into a rhythm, but that didn't cross my mind while watching the game. The only reason I posted was that it intrigues me when somebody else and I see the same thing and have two entirely different expanations for the cause or reason why it occured in the first place...

EJ was injured in his Junior year at FSU. A minor one, but just keeping it real. Plus, NFL players are more punishing. Correct, it is too early to give him this label, but it should stop the Bills from drafting a health insurance policy.

Well, yeah, everybody get hurts a little in football. I suppose I should have said that EJ "hadn't missed a start due to injury."

The run game will draw up a safety and LBs, but WR/bubble screens will draw up the CBs on the outside more quickly than the running game will.

You may have hit the nail on the head in that they were trying to help EJ find some confidence and get into a rhythm, but that didn't cross my mind while watching the game. The only reason I posted was that it intrigues me when somebody else and I see the same thing and have two entirely different expanations for the cause or reason why it occured in the first place...

Well, yeah, everybody get hurts a little in football. I suppose I should have said that EJ "hadn't missed a start due to injury."

Yours is definitely a more nuanced analysis, I was just going by how FORCED that game plan felt and how adamantly they repeated the narrative "we gotta get him off to a good start." It led me to believe the most important thing for Hackett and Marrone going into Sunday's game wasn't to set up a game plan, but to get their rookie QB comfortable after the steaming turd he lay down in Tampa the week prior.