Listening to WGR post game is a waste of time

PromoTheRobot

Schopp is annoying as hell. Just seems like the guy likes hearing himself talk half the time and completely dissing all the callers that don't exactly agree with him for the rest. Bulldog's not bad when schopp's not there. too bad it happens so little

I swear I've heard Schopp get totally steamed at callers who actually agree with him. He either jumps down a callers throat (95% of the time) or surprises everybody and says what a great point the caller has.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but sports talk radio normally breaks down when they start taking callers. Most just repeat the same thing that somebody else just said, it is just too repetitive...so yeah, I agree, post game is pretty much a waste of time. Like Schoop & Bulldog or not, I think it is pretty much the same everywhere...those drunk a-holes you just sat next to at the game, are now calling to espouse their silliness on the radio...I like John Murphys show on GR, and normally listen to it archived on BuffaloBills.com. Where I live, smack dab in the middle of Texas, I have my choice of listening to Texans or Cowboys post-game shows, should I want. They are both every bit as bad as the Bills post-game. When I listen, I just skip the caller segments altogether. I will listen to the post-game show for about 20 minutes, just to gauge the temperature of Bils fans..I am rarely surprised, or frankly, interested in any of the points they are making.

I am not a Schoop & Bullldog hater, I think they are okay, at times...but I do agree, I am not overly impressed, all the way around, with GR's Bills coverage. It is not so much that there isn't enough of it (there is plenty), just nobody that works at the station, except for perhaps, Joe B and Sal really bring anything to the table. I just think they are all kind of dull. The games on the radio are just lacking something...I don't hate any of them, I think Murphy is okay, but not particularly exciting to listen to as a play by play guy. Luckily, for me, I rarely have to rely on radio broadcasts for my coverage.

Callers suck so bad............I listen to Tony Kornheiser every day. I'm a radio/podcast junkie, and I think he is by far the best........Not only does he have great guests, great sidekicks, and great emailers - all of them funny - but he takes zero callers! (And, will never interview an athlete, because their interviews are so boring)

That's surprising. You'd think the official Bills post game would discuss that. <_<

I actually had to watch the game on my phone so between dropouts I couldn't see every play. It just seemed like CJ couldn't do anything. I think he's still hurt. Again, a topic deemed beneath the official Bills post game show.

PTR

CJ is clearly not 100% seems he comes off gimpy alot. But still he seems to be running inside much better and they dont seem to find a a way to create space for him at all. I still do not understand why we NEVER see CJ and Freddie in the backfield at the same time. Cleary creates no on the D can key on and with decent motion and movement easily can get the ball to either in space. EJ seems to really struggle with screen passes maybe thats why we dont see many called.

If you don't want to know what happened in a Bills game just listen to Schopp & Bulldog. 2 hours on whether or not the Bills should draft a new QB, zero time on the lack of running attack (which directly affects your passing game), the D's tendancy to over-pursue and give up big plays, zero time on play calling or what players were outstanding or who underperformed.

If I could get anything for Christmas I'd wish for another decent local sports outlet.

PTR

Give 1270 AM a chance.

I listened to the show for the first time in months yesterday, and funny how their show mirrored the top topics on this board over the last two weeks.

The biggest topic - is EJ the long term solution, or should Bills move on in the 2014 draft. The other topics were how the Bills played just well enough to squeak out a win against a bad team, and how defense looks better than last year, but still has problems shutting opponents down.

Imagine that.

If you don't want to know what happened in a Bills game just listen to Schopp & Bulldog. 2 hours on whether or not the Bills should draft a new QB, zero time on the lack of running attack (which directly affects your passing game), the D's tendancy to over-pursue and give up big plays, zero time on play calling or what players were outstanding or who underperformed.

If I could get anything for Christmas I'd wish for another decent local sports outlet.

PTR

Lack of running attack???? I think we are fourth in the league.

PTR

Couldn't agree MORE ! . . . Living in Texas, I rely on online TBD and Buffalo News for local coverage as well as GR --- however, STOPPED listening to Schopp and Bulldog over a year ago --- tend to listen to Simon/Jeremy, they get better guests and are generally more positive and more knowledgeable, probably because no one wants to put up with S&B

Am i the only one who doesn't need to have smoke blown up my ass to enjoy a radio show about the Bills?

They certainty get good enough ratings, I guess there is an inverse correlation between how much you listen and how much time you waste on this site (I plead guilty on all counts).

I love listening to Schopp because I like hearing his opinions (which are not at all uninformed) and I hate milquetoast. Bulldog can be a bit of a fence-sitter for my taste, but i still give him a thumbs up. Howard Simon is a bore, but at least he has Jeremy White to spice things up.

The real issue for people on a Bills fan board is always how honest a media member is with the public, when they have a criticism. For that reason, I am thrilled our media guys are not homers.

And I don't have to agree with the host's (or writer's, int he case of Sully/Bucky) opinion every time to enjoy hearing their opinion. shooting the **** in away that garners ratings is an art form and they definitely good at kt. In fact, even though I too was underwhelmed by yesterday's post-game show, I'd just as soon listen to two guys with an opinion talk about the Bills (and Sabres) than i would watch those piss-poor excuses for professional sports we always get stuck with. I spent the whole 3rd quarter sled-riding with my sons and i don't feel I missed a thing.

And to whoever posted criticism of them based on the fact they weren't doing cartwheels over the bills ground game...lmao :lol: . Jacksonville is injury-riddled garbage and Schopp was correct to go immediately to the point of whether we need to draft another QB. That is all that freaking matters and we are never going anywhere until we hae a top 10 qb under center.

Speaking of whch, I don't care if it was the first game of his life, I am astonished how bad EJ was in the first half yesterday, and I am not at all comfortable with him as the long term answer at QB. I guess that is where i differ with schopp/BD because they seem to consider the question unresolved.

Am i the only one who doesn't need to have smoke blown up my ass to enjoy a radio show about the Bills?

They certainty get good enough ratings, I guess there is an inverse correlation between how much you listen and how much time you waste on this site (I plead guilty on all counts).

I love listening to Schopp because I like hearing his opinions (which are not at all uninformed) and I hate milquetoast. Bulldog can be a bit of a fence-sitter for my taste, but i still give him a thumbs up. Howard Simon is a bore, but at least he has Jeremy White to spice things up.

The real issue for people on a Bills fan board is always how honest a media member is with the public, when they have a criticism. For that reason, I am thrilled our media guys are not homers.

And I don't have to agree with the host's (or writer's, int he case of Sully/Bucky) opinion every time to enjoy hearing their opinion. shooting the **** in away that garners ratings is an art form and they definitely good at kt. In fact, even though I too was underwhelmed by yesterday's post-game show, I'd just as soon listen to two guys with an opinion talk about the Bills (and Sabres) than i would watch those piss-poor excuses for professional sports we always get stuck with. I spent the whole 3rd quarter sled-riding with my sons and i don't feel I missed a thing.

And to whoever posted criticism of them based on the fact they weren't doing cartwheels over the bills ground game...lmao :lol: . Jacksonville is injury-riddled garbage and Schopp was correct to go immediately to the point of whether we need to draft another QB. That is all that freaking matters and we are never going anywhere until we hae a top 10 qb under center.

Speaking of whch, I don't care if it was the first game of his life, I am astonished how bad EJ was in the first half yesterday, and I am not at all comfortable with him as the long term answer at QB. I guess that is where i differ with schopp/BD because they seem to consider the question unresolved.

Did you read the original post?

Like I said in a previous thread " Boy do I miss Brad Riter on the radio". Him and Bob Gaughan were entertaining as hell!

Those two do a quick podcast every week. About 20 minutes. It's great and wish they'd extend it to an hour or so.

Here's this past week's. I subscribe on itunes, but you can listen here:

http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/commentary/podcast/bills-sabres-pacers-heat-saban-briles/

It's all CBS network talk except for 3 live hours with Genzler, and that will go away when Rome's contract with WGR expires.

PTR

What's going to happen?...........BTW, the "Fan Four" with Rich, Brad, Jeff Russo and a BN writer is very good - on Tuesdays.

Yesterday was hilarious.

A caller tried/failed to properly articulate the following:

"They were going to say what they were going to say, regardless of the outcome of the game."

He screwed it up by injecting his own opinion, and instead, they accused him of "having a script". Total Fail. But, total projection by Schopp and Bulldog as well.

The right way to have asked them: "What exactly are you saying right now, that you would'nt be saying, if they had lost? Conversely, and perhaps more importantly, what aren't you saying now, that you would have been saying after a loss?" Then, there's no door left open to project onto the caller.

Frankly, having listened to their entire show, yesterday, I fail to see what comments would have been different. The created a BS standard: EJ throwing for 300 yards, conveniently AFTER the game. The fact is that no matter what EJ did, short of a 110+ QBR, they were going to say the same thing. All he has to do is make 1-5 bad throws, and their "script" automagically "fits".

:rolleyes: