Preliminary Top 10 excuses for 2014

billsfan714

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. EJ is only in his second year, QB X didnt play well in his second year either.

2. Marrone is only in year 2 you cant expect much he's still learning.

3. Hackett is only in year 2 you cant expect much he's still learning the NFL game.

4. We lost Byrd it will take X number of years for his replacement to play well.

5. Player X and Y were hurt if not for those injuries we would of made the playoffs

6. If you change a play in this game and that game and this game we would of been 9-7

7. The refs screwed in this game and that game.

8. Rookie A and B are starting and it will take them time to learn.

9. TJ Graham is only in year 3, Brandon Lloyd and whoever didnt have a good year until,,,,,,,

10. They lost a heartbreaker in week X of course there would be a let down in the next few games

I post this because Im sick of the excuses. They're getting old, lamer and more desperate by the year. The team motto for 2014 should be no excuses, none. Young coaches--- screw it,, work harder in the off season and step it up, same for anybody filling in for injuries, free agents lost or any rookies starting. Tough call or loss, get over it.

Screw development with no results in the W-L column, go out get some respect from the other teams in the league.

And your solution is????

Thanks for the "this sucks" post...but really what do you want? The team sucks for sure. Maybe it always will or maybe EJ and Marrone turn things around. Blind optimism might not always be rewarded or even often rewarded, but bitter negativism doesn't yield any better results if you have no ability to change things.

And your solution is????

Thanks for the "this sucks" post...but really what do you want? The team sucks for sure. Maybe it always will or maybe EJ and Marrone turn things around. Blind optimism might not always be rewarded or even often rewarded, but bitter negativism doesn't yield any better results if you have no ability to change things.

Bitter negativism is a defense mechanism for fans of downtrodden franchises. If some people say, "EJ sucks and will always suck," and EJ does end up sucking, they will have the endorphins released from being correct offset the pain of another failure. It numbs the pain.

TJ Graham fights through adversity to gain the #1 spot on our offense, and has a 1k yard season with 10 TD's.

It could happen.

NO !@#$ING CHANCE! Not even in Madden. TJ Graham is not an NFL caliber receiver, once he gets cut by us he'll never play another NFL down. Complete waste of a starting roster spot. I have seen no promise what so ever, a terrible route runner with bad hands will never be a good receiver no matter how fast he is.

NO !@#$ING CHANCE! Not even in Madden. TJ Graham is not an NFL caliber receiver, once he gets cut by us he'll never play another NFL down. Complete waste of a starting roster spot. I have seen no promise what so ever, a terrible route runner with bad hands will never be a good receiver no matter how fast he is.

That was my point.

1. EJ is only in his second year, QB X didnt play well in his second year either.

3. Hackett is only in year 2 you cant expect much he's still learning the NFL game.

4. We lost Byrd it will take X number of years for his replacement to play well.

5. Player X and Y were hurt if not for those injuries we would of made the playoffs

6. If you change a play in this game and that game and this game we would of been 9-7

9. TJ Graham is only in year 3, Brandon Lloyd and whoever didnt have a good year until,,,,,,,

10. They lost a heartbreaker in week X of course there would be a let down in the next few games

I post this because Im sick of the excuses. They're getting old, lamer and more desperate by the year. The team motto for 2014 should be no excuses, none. Young coaches--- screw it,, work harder in the off season and step it up, same for anybody filling in for injuries, free agents lost or any rookies starting. Tough call or loss, get over it.

Screw development with no results in the W-L column, go out get some respect from the other teams in the league.

These do all sound familiar.

Have you already given up on 2014 though? If you are already predicting the coming excuses, then you must already believe that we'll need excuses next year. I like a lot of our pieces, and with a good draft, I think we are playoff bound. That said, I guess I'm what Homey D Clown would call a "blind optimist". I don't get what is wrong with realizing your team isn't/hasn't been good for a while, while also recognizing that we have more talent than we've had in some time. Why watch if you don't have hope that it can be turned around. Just look at the Chiefs. I think they are overrated, but either way, they're in the playoffs after having a horrible season last year. A year that also included many bright spots (6 pro bowlers). That sounds a lot like us.

I'm not saying you are one of these posters but do you know who's worse than the excuse makers and "blind optimists"? The negative visionaries who, no matter what the outcome in any situation, criticize the result and act as if they knew all along how things would turn out. Hindsight is the only view they have.

If Byrd doesn't come back and plays well: "See, I told you we should have kept him. Management is awful".

If Byrd does come back and doesn't play well: "See, I told you we should have let him go. Management is awful".

Their opinions don't come out till they see the results. I'll take the excuse makers over those people any day.

Today's market. Why trade for a mediocre receiver with a big contract when you can draft one that is much less expensive?

A few things come to mind:

1) He's not mediocre. He's a bona fide NFL starter that has proven he can give some of the better CBs in the league fits

2) He doesn't really have a big contract; his average salary puts him in the 15-20 range for WRs...his cap hit does balloon to $8.5M after this season, so I suspect any team that traded for him could potentially restructure his contract to pay out more bonus money and bring the hit down.

3) The draft pick is no guarantee to be anywhere near as productive as SJ

4) Although they aren't similar players, look at what Minnesota got for trading Percy Harvin, who is 1 year younger than Stevie and has missed more games due to injury since becoming a starter: a 2013 1st, a 2013 7th, and a 2014 4th. Now compare their respective numbers:

http://espn.go.com/n...69/percy-harvin

http://espn.go.com/n...8/steve-johnson

- Only once in Harvin's career has he topped 900 yards; he's never topped 1,000

- Since both became full-time starters in 2010, Harvin's TD totals were 7, 5, and 9 for the season (including rushing and KRs); Stevie's were 10, 7, and 6

- Since both became full-time starters in 2010, Harvin has suited up for 39 of a possible 61 games; Stevie has done so for 59 of a possible 61

Again, I'm not saying Stevie is similar to Harvin in style of play or type of production; I'm saying that if Harvin brings in a 1, 4, and 7, then there's no way that Stevie--a guy with an arguably equal value in terms of productivity, who's missed fewer games, and is merely 1 year older with a contract that pays about 30% less than Harvin's new deal--brings in a 6 or a 7.

Edited by thebandit27

You need a Stevie-related one as well. If he's still on the team, he'll cost us games with either his "attitude" or a specific drop or penalty. If he's gone, it'll be that we don't have a reliable possession receiver and Woods needs another year.

1) He's not mediocre. He's a bona fide NFL starter that has proven he can give some of the better CBs in the league fits

2) He doesn't really have a big contract; his average salary puts him in the 15-20 range for WRs...his cap hit does balloon to $8.5M after this season, so I suspect any team that traded for him could potentially restructure his contract to pay out more bonus money and bring the hit down.

4) Although they aren't similar players, look at what Minnesota got for trading Percy Harvin, who is 1 year younger than Stevie and has missed more games due to injury since becoming a starter: a 2013 1st, a 2013 7th, and a 2014 4th. Now compare their respective numbers:

- Since both became full-time starters in 2010, Harvin's TD totals were 7, 5, and 9 for the season (including rushing and KRs); Stevie's were 10, 7, and 6

- Since both became full-time starters in 2010, Harvin has suited up for 39 of a possible 61 games; Stevie has done so for 59 of a possible 61

Again, I'm not saying Stevie is similar to Harvin in style of play or type of production; I'm saying that if Harvin brings in a 1, 4, and 7, then there's no way that Stevie--a guy with an arguably equal value in terms of productivity, who's missed fewer games, and is merely 1 year older with a contract that pays about 30% less than Harvin's new deal--brings in a 6 or a 7.

Good post. The real question is, why did Harvin get so much?

Well researched. I see your point, but I disagree with your conclusion. My guess is that Seattle would not do that deal in retrospect and other teams would be looking at that deal with a wary eye. I suppose teams that are "all in" might look for a player they think might put them over the top, but do you really believe that the acquisition of Stevie will do that? Colour me skeptical.

This is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of league. If a team wants to overpay for a middle of the road, possession receiver prone to big drops and fumbles, then hey, I am all for it.