Pettine versus Hackett

As the season draws to a dismal close, I think it may be interesting to evaluate the performance of our two new coordinators.

Hackett:

The Bills quick pace offense has the Bills running the 5th most offensive plays in the NFL. Despite this, we are 25th in scoring. We average a mere 4.7 yard per play - 30th in the NFL.

Our passing rating is only 72.5 - also 30th in the league.

With an ineffective passing attack led by inexperienced QBs, you would have though Hackett would have put in overtime to make the running game work. After all, we have two talented backs. But CJ is averaging only 4.6 ypc this year - down from 6.0 last year. This is a huge drop off. Hackett just doesn't seem to have the knack for getting CJ into space that Chan had.

Pettine:

Our D is ranked 18th by yards allowed but this again is skewed by the high number of plays they've faced. Pettine's D is giving up 5.0 yards per play - 6th best in the NFL. The Bills are #2 in the NFL in INTs and #1 in sacks. Opposing QBs collectively have a low 78.9 passer rating. Opposing teams have rushed for 4.2 yard per carry which places the Bills in the middle of the pack versus the run - not outstanding but a huge improvement versus last year (5.0).

While I understand that the QB situation has been less than ideal, I have to wonder about Hackett's readiness for the job. Pettine, on the other hand, is proving himself to be a solid DC even without Rex to mentor him. What's particularly concerning about the Bills lack of offensive production is that our HC is a former OC. We can say that Hackett is a rookie and he'll get better with experience. But Marrone is already supposed to have that experience. As we look forward to 2014, I worry about the future of the Bills offense, not our defense.

As the season draws to a dismal close, I think it may be interesting to evaluate the performance of our two new coordinators.

Hackett:

The Bills quick pace offense has the Bills running the 5th most offensive plays in the NFL. Despite this, we are 25th in scoring. We average a mere 4.7 yard per play - 30th in the NFL.

With an ineffective passing attack led by inexperienced QBs, you would have though Hackett would have put in overtime to make the running game work. After all, we have two talented backs. But CJ is averaging only 4.6 ypc this year - down from 6.0 last year. This is a huge drop off. Hackett just doesn't seem to have the knack for getting CJ into space that Chan had.

Pettine:

Our D is ranked 18th by yards allowed but this again is skewed by the high number of plays they've faced. Pettine's D is giving up 5.0 yards per play - 6th best in the NFL. The Bills are #2 in the NFL in INTs and #1 in sacks. Opposing QBs collectively have a low 78.9 passer rating. Opposing teams have rushed for 4.2 yard per carry which places the Bills in the middle of the pack versus the run - not outstanding but a huge improvement versus last year (5.0).

While I understand that the QB situation has been less than ideal, I have to wonder about Hackett's readiness for the job. Pettine, on the other hand, is proving himself to be a solid DC even without Rex to mentor him. What's particularly concerning about the Bills lack of offensive production is that our HC is a former OC. We can say that Hackett is a rookie and he'll get better with experience. But Marrone is already supposed to have that experience. As we look forward to 2014, I worry about the future of the Bills offense, not our defense.

I'd grade Pettine an A- , Hackett I would grade an F.

Hackett:

Pettine:

I think that Pettine has done a good enough job to keep him around, but I don't think its been good enough for him to be viewed as a potential loss to become a HC this offseason

Hackett is a tough call, he hasn't been anything to be excited over, but looking at the "talent" he has to work with on the offence, its hard to say if its really just bad offensive play calling, or just doesn't have good enough players to have a good offence. They have only had Rookie QBs running the offence this season, with one established NFL WR, and 2 good RBs that appear to have taken steps back possibly because of the o-line taking a step back. I would give Hackett another chance with some better players on offence, but the rope shouldn't be too loose for next season......

Hackett:

Pettine:

They are giving up 25.7 points per game, tied for 22nd in the league. They are also 7th in the league in D penalty yards. They are tied for 2nd in most passing TD's given up. These are the only numbers that matter.

For comparison, last year's D finished the season with 27.2 ppg given up....

They are giving up 25.7 points per game, tied for 22nd in the league. They are also 7th in the league in D penalty yards. They are tied for 2nd in most passing TD's given up. These are the only numbers that matter.

For comparison, last year's D finished the season with 27.2 ppg given up....

So they are getting better?

We're giving up more points than we are scoring. Pettine isn't immune from criticism in this. We tend to give up very large chunk plays... I call it feast or famine.

Edit: To clarify before someone has a heart attack. I think Pettine is a better DC than we've had in a while. Our defense is improved. But I still wouldn't qualify it as a "good" defense.

Edited by Dorkington

Hackett is young I'm pretty sure he's smart enough to realize his offense is getting worse.

Especially if he has his dad in his ear ! But if i remember the elder Hackett wasn't this huge offensive guru was he ?

I mean i do remember him & he was a GOOD but not GREAT offensive coordinator kind of what we all thought of Wanny as a D

coordinator !!

We're giving up more points than we are scoring. Pettine isn't immune from criticism in this. We tend to give up very large chunk plays... I call it feast or famine.

Edit: To clarify before someone has a heart attack. I think Pettine is a better DC than we've had in a while. Our defense is improved. But I still wouldn't qualify it as a "good" defense.

5th in yards per play. 2nd in INTs. 1st in sacks. That doesn't qualify as "good"? You set a high bar!

Then start counting your savings. They won't make a EJ learn his second offense in as many years.

That's the only reason why I am not calling for his head. Offense is def a coaching problem. Gameplan is just not strong at all. Either the run game, the pass game or both are absent from every game. Yesterday, there was no run game and we forced our rookie QB, who isn't that good to begin with, try to win a game. It is ridiculous how lopsided everything is with this offense week to week. The only consistant thing is that it is well below average, if not completely sucking.

But it can't help EJ's development juggleing coordinators, which is the only reason they would keep Hackett at this point.

5th in yards per play. 2nd in INTs. 1st in sacks. That doesn't qualify as "good"? You set a high bar!

Run defense is still horrible, they are about average in giving up points, and they give up a lot of big plays by being overaggressive. I like the defense a lot, and I consider it "good." But add a run stuffing linebacker and get Gilmore playing good, and this defense would be one of the best in league. Right now, they are not one of the best, imo.

You can't blame Pettine's defense when the other team keeps getting the ball in our end due to turnovers and 3 and outs on offense. They have been keeping us in games when we could have gotten blown out

Pettine has pro experience and a boat load of vet top talent.

Pettine's starting almost all first and second round talent, the bulk of the probowlers on the team (Mario, Kyle, mckelvin, Byrd, kiko likely will be) aside from the Punter and a gimpy spiller.

It was supposed to be the strength of the team while the young offense was developed. It's been better than past seasons, but still inconsistent and frankly lousey at times.

I'd give Pettine a C and Hackett an D- thus far this season.

Both have been exceptional at dealing with injuries and somehow putting something on the field to work with.

Offense needs to go get some star studded bonafide elite WR and TE talent. Fix RT and LG and find a replacement for f-jax whose not going to play forever.

Then start counting your savings. They won't make a EJ learn his second offense in as many years.

no kidding, for the first time, I really don't care. The Jags have been more exciting for the last month. I will admit, during Bills games I become way to emotionally invested. That Bucs game was more pleasant not caring anymore.

Pettine has pro experience and a boat load of vet top talent.

Pettine's starting almost all first and second round talent, the bulk of the probowlers on the team (Mario, Kyle, mckelvin, Byrd, kiko likely will be) aside from the Punter and a gimpy spiller.

It was supposed to be the strength of the team while the young offense was developed. It's been better than past seasons, but still inconsistent and frankly lousey at times.

I'd give Pettine a C and Hackett an D- thus far this season.

Both have been exceptional at dealing with injuries and somehow putting something on the field to work with.

Offense needs to go get some star studded bonafide elite WR and TE talent. Fix RT and LG and find a replacement for f-jax whose not going to play forever.

the only reason to give pettin a C, is if Hackett had done ANYTHING positive this season. I give Pettin an A. Hackett gets a did not complete.

That's the only reason why I am not calling for his head. Offense is def a coaching problem. Gameplan is just not strong at all. Either the run game, the pass game or both are absent from every game. Yesterday, there was no run game and we forced our rookie QB, who isn't that good to begin with, try to win a game. It is ridiculous how lopsided everything is with this offense week to week. The only consistant thing is that it is well below average, if not completely sucking.

But it can't help EJ's development juggleing coordinators, which is the only reason they would keep Hackett at this point.

Run defense is still horrible, they are about average in giving up points, and they give up a lot of big plays by being overaggressive. I like the defense a lot, and I consider it "good." But add a run stuffing linebacker and get Gilmore playing good, and this defense would be one of the best in league. Right now, they are not one of the best, imo.

I guess I have trouble with blaming Hackett when defensive lineman are routinely two yards into the backfield when we try to hand it off.