Bills Sign TE Tony Moeaki to the Active Roster

This points to my previous posts: draft an NFL ready OLB in 1st, tall and atheletic WR in 2nd, and TE in 3rd / 4th. The TE in that spot would be a good TE who needs a year or two to develop, which nearly every TE does. See all my previous posts about excellent TEs who are drafted in 3rd / 4th round...Witten, Cameron, Thomas, Graham, etc...and they usually take a year or two to become good TEs. That's why getting a guy like Moekai bodes well for the BILLS...he is NFL ready now, can help you win now and hopefully next year, while the team develops their long-term solution to TE...not to say they will draft a Graham or Witten, but they could, without sacrificing in the short-term. Good move IMO, both for the present and the future.

NFL ready OLB? Sounds like Khalil, think he'll be available when we pick?

As long as Moeaki can perform and stay healthy, it shores up our deficiency for the foreseeable future. We may not even need to draft a long-term answer.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Moeaki has been injury prone, the goods news is that it's not like he's been injuring the same part of his body (i.e. Left Knee).

I like the effort, give him the end of the season and off season to get acclimated. True test will come in the pre-season. He's young, talented, maybe it pans out.

This could be such a great move by Whaley, as Tony was starting to look like another Tony that played for the Chiefs. He only played in 15 games, his QB's were scrubs and he still caught 47 passes in 2010.

..... or it could turn into another Shawn Merriman.

All we can do is hope he can stay healthy for the Bills.

This could be such a great move by Whaley, as Tony was starting to look like another Tony that played for the Chiefs. He only played in 15 games, his QB's were scrubs and he still caught 47 passes in 2010.

..... or it could turn into another Shawn Merriman.

All we can do is hope he can stay healthy for the Bills.

Not much risk, just a chance for reward. I like it.

I love reading the posts concerned with Scott Chandler's future after this signing...seriously guys...

How many posts have we read, drowning to find the big physical receiver down field to compete. Instead of automatically assuming Moeaki will replace Chandler, let's remember the two have played together before. And since when has conventional ideology ever won Super Bowls? Who says we can't have two tight-ends (especially as physical as Chandler and Moeaki) on the field challenging linebackers and corners to make plays. Imagine our hurry up offense with stevie, woods, moeaki, and chandler on the field at the same time. Imagine the mismatches that will ensue with nearly 90% of the defenses currently in the NFL.

Pending Moeaki's health and ability moving forward, to retain Chandler at a bargain price and negotiate a bargain with Moeaki for the future using injuries in our negotiations. We could potentially have two very solid TE's for this season and next. It will certainly help Manuel develop having two large targets to see down field, improve the blocking scheme, and give Hackett more opportunities to diversify the offense to compliment the run.

Don't lose the optimism. GO BILLS!!!

I guess I've got a bit of a man crush on Chandler's sheer size. 6'6 if I'm not mistaken. That really can help in endzone or on short yardage pickups for first down. I'm 6'4, I guess any TE under my height I see as small. Yes, I am weird, and thanks for noticing!

I personally think we should lock up Chandler for a few more years.

I love reading the posts concerned with Scott Chandler's future after this signing...seriously guys...

How many posts have we read, drowning to find the big physical receiver down field to compete. Instead of automatically assuming Moeaki will replace Chandler, let's remember the two have played together before. And since when has conventional ideology ever won Super Bowls? Who says we can't have two tight-ends (especially as physical as Chandler and Moeaki) on the field challenging linebackers and corners to make plays. Imagine our hurry up offense with stevie, woods, moeaki, and chandler on the field at the same time. Imagine the mismatches that will ensue with nearly 90% of the defenses currently in the NFL.

Pending Moeaki's health and ability moving forward, to retain Chandler at a bargain price and negotiate a bargain with Moeaki for the future using injuries in our negotiations. We could potentially have two very solid TE's for this season and next. It will certainly help Manuel develop having two large targets to see down field, improve the blocking scheme, and give Hackett more opportunities to diversify the offense to compliment the run.

Don't lose the optimism. GO BILLS!!!

while im unopposed to chandler on the cheap, and if moeaki reaches his potential that would be great - those two things coming together likely only bring us to a league average TE group, not some match up nightmare for defenses.

I guess I've got a bit of a man crush on Chandler's sheer size. 6'6 if I'm not mistaken. That really can help in endzone or on short yardage pickups for first down. I'm 6'4, I guess any TE under my height I see as small. Yes, I am weird, and thanks for noticing!

i think chandler is listed at 6'7''.

while im unopposed to chandler on the cheap, and if moeaki reaches his potential that would be great - those two things coming together likely only bring us to a league average TE group, not some match up nightmare for defenses.

I agree. It's difficult to determine at this point what exactly Moeaki's contribution will be before he's played in our system. Even with him exceeding expectations you are right, we will have an adequate TE duo compared to all other NFL duo's. But compared to other NFL rosters, we will be one of the few who are able to put two solid TE's on the field. It adds options to our system, creates mismatches with imbalanced defenses who use nickel and cover zones, and if they can stretch the field, man coverage as well. Rather than waste a draft pick or two on TE talent this year (which isn't supposed to be all that deep anyway), I'd rather we go after other positions: OLB, CB, OL, S, and even an RB because Fred won't be around much longer and if WIngo doesn't pan out, CJ needs a power runner to compliment his finesse style, and even then we will need a backup for slot 3.

All in all, this could be a solid improvement.

Chandler is six seven but only jumps and inch or two since injured .I dont think we are using his height as well as Bills could be.

But jumping ability goes a long way for Moe if you have seen the highlights

I was going to mention the weirdness buts since you did already :thumbsup:

Edited by 3rdand12

You and I probably can, so Moeaki certainly can.

Maybe you can . I cannot even get on the field much less block something. zone, man protect or otherwise. My kids used to get past me to the fridge no matter what defensive scheme i used if cake/dessert was present.

So how do you feel about Smith in the mix at this point 26 ?

Are the Marrones Bills going go finesse or bulk up with TEs ?