Backup QB options for next season

YoloinOhio

I have seen some people say they think Thad is a viable backup and others say we need to draft another guy to be EJ's backup/compete for the starting job. I would like to see the Bills sign a veteran instead of adding yet another rookie to the mix. Here are some options and former starting QBs who are either FAs or likely to be cut as teams move on or draft a new guy:

Gabbert - Jags moving on, could be an OK backup but not really a "vet"

Ponder - will get cut, not sure about fit as backup b/c EJ/Ponder duo at FSU kind of weird

Schaub - will get cut, could be an OK backup because vet with playoff exp

Cousins - would require trade, low experience but high upside for success based on limited action

Mallett - FA after this year, not sure if Pats will sign him

Sanchez - could be OK? Will get another chance somewhere, likely. Playoff experience?

Freeman - FA, Vikes will likely not re-sign

Vick - Interesting option, not sure about mentorship for EJ which is what I would want from a vet

Would you want any of these guys over Thad? Move Thad to 3rd QB or cut him?

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen some people say they think Thad is a viable backup and others say we need to draft another guy to be EJ's backup/compete for the starting job. I would like to see the Bills sign a veteran instead of adding yet another rookie to the mix. Here are some options and former starting QBs who are either FAs or likely to be cut as teams move on or draft a new guy:

Gabbert - Jags moving on, could be an OK backup but not really a "vet"

Ponder - will get cut, not sure about fit as backup b/c EJ/Ponder duo at FSU kind of weird

Schaub - will get cut, could be an OK backup because vet with playoff exp

Cousins - would require trade, low experience but high upside for success based on limited action

Mallett - FA after this year, not sure if Pats will sign him

Sanchez - could be OK? Will get another chance somewhere, likely. Playoff experience?

Would you want any of these guys over Thad? Move Thad to 3rd QB or cut him?

theres the always possible josh freeman

chad henne maybe

but i would guess thad is the guy.

Edited by NoSaint

I added Freeman, I originally left him off because I just think he is worse than Thad. JMO.

yea but we allegedly had interest, and hes got some similarities to EJ which can be nice for a backup. id guess hes also going to look for someone that hasnt found a certain long term answer. im not advocating for him, simply saying it might make sense in the grand scheme of things.

I think Vick could be an option. Of the guys on the list I think Schaub would make the most sense. They're not going to offer what the Redskins will want for Cousins.

I added Vick - intriguing option. He is made of glass as a starter but as a backup, interesting.

I see Sanchez as an option as well as Thad. Sanchez has played in the cold weather and I think that's a big plus when coming to play in Buffalo. I don't see Schaub going somewhere where he could not compete for a starting job and don't like Vick as an option. It would take more than it's worth to pry Cousins out of Washington. I don't think any of the others are work squat.

The last thing the Bills need when they are in playoff contention late in the season is a butt fumble...that being said, Sanchez isn't terrible. I'm just not sure I would like the Bills to sign a guy who previously made headlines for a terrible gaffe. The Bills want to move past the image of being a joke.

Of everyone on the list, I'd like to see Schaub sign with us. He had a bad season this year, but he's had good ones. I think he'd be a serviceable backup.

Schaub would be best, but odds are some desperate team signs/trades for him as a starter.

I'd like Cousins, but that's not happening.

No thanky on the rest.

Odds are the Bills sign some old guy as a "mentor" who stinks. I'll predict Derek Anderson since they can sell he was kinda good that one year.

I heard reports today that Redskins will actually try to move Cousins for draft picks because they are so depleted from the RG3 trade, have Grossman, and his presence is causing insecurity with RG3. That's why I mentioned him.

I`ll stick with Thad

FTR I think I would too.... just noticed a lot of people thinking he isn't the answer as a backup. I hope to never have to see him play again though, unless it is in garbage time :)

I heard reports today that Redskins will actually try to move Cousins for draft picks because they are so depleted from the RG3 trade, have Grossman, and his presence is causing insecurity with RG3. That's why I mentioned him.

FTR I think I would too.... just noticed a lot of people thinking he isn't the answer as a backup. I hope to never have to see him play again though, unless it is in garbage time :)

grossmans a free agent - i doubt hed be hard to hold onto, but worth mentioning that he isnt under contract next year