BEAST MODE

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody's denying any of that. It didn't work for him in B-lo. It's working for him so far in Seattle for the most part. Point is, I (personally) don't really care about a player's off-field antics (aaron hernandez aside) as long as they produce on the field. I'd rather have a bunch of morons/delinquents that win than a bunch of nice guys that come in at 4-12/6-10 year after year after year after year after year....Lynch does deserve blame and the Bills are idiots too for getting nothing more than a 4th round pick when it was reported the Saints would've given a 3rd and who knows what other teams may have given. Anyway, "water under the bridge"..always the best response for a franchise that can't get out of its own way.

What was the Bills' record with Lynch? 7-9. I don't get the argument at all. Spiller and Jackson both have higher ypc averages than Lynch. They have more than replaced him. Why do we still concern ourselves with him?

And I couldn't disagree with you more on the character part. Despite what the media may make you think, there are more than enough good football players who don't hit people with a car and leave them in the street. I love football but I'll never settle for rooting for trash so my team can win. Screw settling for trash like Lynch or Vick (though hopefully both have matured). Just draft better.

Lynch single handedly caused the Bills to trade him and ruin his trade value. The Bills do plenty wrong but to blame them for this is silly.

I respectfully disagree.

I agree that 2007--his rookie year-- was very good. But then he started regressing dramatically. 2008 stats were inflated due to 3 games against mostly bad teams. Then 2009 was a total disaster--he was lost out there. His stats reflect it. He has one 84-yard game, and that was it in 2009. 2010 was also really painful, even though we were trying to showcase him to trade him. After he was traded mid-2010, he was still below average. Again, his stats bear this out. No 100-yard games, a 3.6 ypc average.

It wasn't until after the Sehawks mid-season bye in 2011 that he just exploded. I have no idea what happened--maybe a light went off? But the 2008-2010 Lynch vanished, and he was replaced by the RB everyone thought he would be.

Don't get me wrong--I actually love the guy, and am glad to see him do well. But he looked washed up and lost (and in trouble off the field) for over 2 years, when we decided to pull the plug on him.

I don't disagree about 2009 and after. That said, I remember reading that he led the league in 2010 in being hit behind the LOS and broken tackles.

EDIT: He was second in the league in broken tackles per touch in 2010 (after Chris Ivory): http://www.footballo...s-2010-part-ii.

"Yes, that's two undrafted rookies in our top three, and four undrafted players in our top five. That group of undrafted players is broken only by Marshawn Lynch, who apparently was already in Beast Mode before the playoffs even started. Remember, these are regular season numbers only, and don't include the big run against New Orleans. By the way, Lynch is a great example of how the ability to break tackles is very different from the ability to push through the line in short-yardage situations. As Doug Farrar pointed out on Yahoo! a few days ago, Lynch was one of the worst running backs in the NFL on third downs last season, despite all these broken tackles."

Edited by dave mcbride

I don't disagree about 2009 and after. That said, I remember reading that he led the league in 2010 in being hit behind the LOS and broken tackles.

EDIT: He was second in the league in broken tackles per touch in 2010 (after Chris Ivory): http://www.footballo...s-2010-part-ii.

"Yes, that's two undrafted rookies in our top three, and four undrafted players in our top five. That group of undrafted players is broken only by Marshawn Lynch, who apparently was already in Beast Mode before the playoffs even started. Remember, these are regular season numbers only, and don't include the big run against New Orleans. By the way, Lynch is a great example of how the ability to break tackles is very different from the ability to push through the line in short-yardage situations. As Doug Farrar pointed out on Yahoo! a few days ago, Lynch was one of the worst running backs in the NFL on third downs last season, despite all these broken tackles."

Broken tackles behind the LOS means either our oline stinks, or Lynch wasn't hitting the right holes. I think it was a combination of both..

Then stiff-arm in that video was a thing of beauty. I've never seen a RB stiff-arm a defender so hard he flew five yards downfield.

You guys sound like a bunch of crazy ex's, do you follow your ex gf's / wives on facebook and twitter and compare who they are dating to you have are dating ? see how much they are making and what neighborhood they live in and B word about the past ?

Hell, no! I'm old-school, I stalk them old fashioned way.

Broken tackles behind the LOS means either our oline stinks, or Lynch wasn't hitting the right holes. I think it was a combination of both..

... Or that on 3rd and 3 or less when lynch was in the backfield, teams knew that there was about an 80 percent chance that there would be a handoff to him and the defense would sell out. Which as i recall is exactly what they did. The last ten years of watching bills football have convinced me that if it's 3rd and 2 or 3, they should pass it more than run it. The DTs are too good now and the Bills' oo-line simply isn't dominant. Most importantly, though, they haven't had a qb good enough to scare defenses out of the box.

Edited by dave mcbride

... Or that on 3rd and 3 or less when lynch was in the backfield, teams knew that there was about an 80 percent chance that there would be a handoff to him and they'd sell out. Which as i recall is exactly what they did. The last ten years of watching bills football have convinced me that if it's 3rd and 2 or 3, they should pass it more than throw it. The DTs are too good now and the Bills' oo-line simply isn't dominant. Most importantly, though, they haven't had a qb good enough to scare defenses out of the box.

Don't get me started on 3rd down play calling. I am a big proponent of running on 3rd and longish. Just a simple handoff on a 3rd and 6 can be so effective, just as throwing on 3rd and 1. You mix it up like that and all if a sudden doing the opposite is a lot easier.

Don't get me started on 3rd down play calling. I am a big proponent of running on 3rd and longish. Just a simple handoff on a 3rd and 6 can be so effective, just as throwing on 3rd and 1. You mix it up like that and all if a sudden doing the opposite is a lot easier.

I agree. I presume you also agree with me that runs on 3rd and 2 with 8 in the box almost never work (at least for the Bills)?

I agree. I presume you also agree with me that runs on 3rd and 2 with 8 in the box almost never work (at least for the Bills)?

Absolutely. It's just mind-boggling that some teams refuse to call plays based on what the defense is giving them. You don't see Brady and the other good teams doing that.

I also think that if teams properly followed the analytics for 4th down (e.g., going for it a lot more), the playcalling on 3rd downs would be more sensible. For example, the mentality would be: even with a rookie QB, on 3rd and 2 with 8 guys in the box, I am going to spread the field and throw. And even if I am risk averse, I still have another shot on 4th down.

There was some insane stat on Adrian Peterson that with 8 or 9 in the box last year, he had like 150 yards. Obviously, he's on another plan.

And hopefully he'll start completing them more often, but I love the shots EJ took on 3rd downs last week. It looses up the defense and one of those to Goodwin is a game breaker. They just need to work on the timing (and have Goodwin not get illegally contacted).

If we had drafted Wilson our running backs would look great all the time too. A great QB makes everyone better, especially the coach.

I pass on Wilson. He's just a good qb that catches his runners in stride. That's nothing to sing about.

I was fine with Kolb. Leinart. and Flynn.

He is in a large market that LOVES their team. The court date will be postponed until after their season ends and/or he will be given some kind of community service slap on the wrist.

wasnt he in california, not seattle, at the time?

What was the Bills' record with Lynch? 7-9. I don't get the argument at all. Spiller and Jackson both have higher ypc averages than Lynch. They have more than replaced him. Why do we still concern ourselves with him?

And I couldn't disagree with you more on the character part. Despite what the media may make you think, there are more than enough good football players who don't hit people with a car and leave them in the street. I love football but I'll never settle for rooting for trash so my team can win. Screw settling for trash like Lynch or Vick (though hopefully both have matured). Just draft better.

Lynch single handedly caused the Bills to trade him and ruin his trade value. The Bills do plenty wrong but to blame them for this is silly.

I get what you're saying, but what is the Bills record with Spiller and Freddy? 6-10? The bills sucktitude goes well beyond any single player.

That being said, I completely get where you're coming from with the character bit. Sure, I'm not asking for an entire team of basket cases, but this is the NFL we're talking about - idiots abound. I think one idiot on the Bills would've been OK. :thumbsup: I just think we gave up too soon on Lynch, that is all...especially considering where we drafted him.

Edited by bobobonators