On a lighter note.

Looks like we'll be drafting near the top 10 in 2014.

Positional needs:

OFFENSE

QB: I'm quite fine going into next season with 1. EJ; 2. Thad; 3. Tuel. Thad is more than capable to come in and be serviceable for 1-2 games..IMO.

RB: Spiller/Freddy are set. Bring in a younger RB than Choice considering both CJ and Freddy are banged up quite often. I wouuldn't mind drafting a RB really late in the draft like 6th round and taking a chance on a guy who's from a small school but with big upside.

My pick: Antonio Andrews - Wester Kentucky. Beastly. 6th round.

WR: I'm OK with Stevie/Woods/Goodwin as the main starters. BUT, this is only if we draft an elite TE high. Maybe draft a WR in the 4th round for depth/potential sleeper.

TE: Chandler is a free agent in 2014 I believe. Seems like a great guy, but this is the ONE position we can make a huge splash in this draft and it'll have the biggest impact on this offense IMO. If we finish near top 10 in draft I would simply trade down to around 13 - 17 and pick up an extra second round pick. I don't care what player is near the top 10. If we can find a trading partner, trade down b/c the only player I care about for us in the 1st round is Jace Amaro.

My pick: Jace Amaro - Texas Tech. Godly. Big and fast. Phenomenal receiving TE. Exactly what EJ needs to complete this offense. Our 1st round pick in 2014.

OL: Woods/Glenn/Urbik are fine IMO. Even Pears is "OK". Nothing special..but not a real liability. Hopefully Hairston can make it back healthy next season. But for the draft, our second biggest need (IMO) is LG, and our first second round pick should be used to upgrade this position.

My pick: Xavier Su'a Filo - UCLA. If he comes out (which he prob will since he's a bit older anyway) he's instantly an upgrade over Legursky (IMO).

Defense

DL: Though coming off of yesterday's game, it's not as easy to say this, I think we're absolutely set on the DL with Dareus, KW, MW, Bryant, Hughes. IMO, i would resign Branch and bring back Carrington (he's a FA no?) and this DL is set.

LB: Kiko has been a monster and Lawson has been solid as well. Bradham/Moats are below average and shouldn't see the field much. Our second second round pick should be used to sure up the LB corps.

My pick: Chris Borland - Wisconsin. This guy doesn't have the NFL "size" (5'11 240s) causing him to drop a bit. But anyone who sees this guy play on the field will admit that he's everywhere, always. Phenomenal instincts.

CB: You can never have enough CB right? LOL. McKelvin has been playing better this season (finally) and Gilmore has not been living up to his high draft pick. Lets hope next year Gilmore will turn around much like mcKelvin has this season. We need another CB though in the first 3 rounds. Why? BECAUSE YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH CB. LOL.

My pick: Aaron Colvin - Oklahoma. Good size and aggressive. Many say he's a bit overrated so I'm hoping he drops to the 3rd round, at which point he'd be a steal (IMO).

S: A. Williams has made strides at safety this season. I like him there. Lets resign Byrd. Draft a safety in the 5th for depth.

K: I actually like Carpenter and wouldn't mind if he came back. Very reliable.

P: I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a punter in the 7th round.

So as of December 2013, our best scenario for the 2014 draft would be:

Round 1: Jace Amaro - TE

Round 2: Xavier Su'a Filo - LG

Round 2: Chris Borland - LB

Round 3: Aaron Colvin - CB

Round 4: WR

Round 5: S

Round 6: Antonio Andrews - RB

Round 7: Punter

:w00t::beer:

I agree with your position choices by round. Maybe swap OL and LB depending on who is available. But definitely a TE. Don't know much about this Amaro guy but is he worth a top 10 pick? I doubt it. Let's trade our first pick and drop down to maybe 15th and get a TE plus get an extra 2nd. Worked great last year!

I agree with your position choices by round. Maybe swap OL and LB depending on who is available. But definitely a TE. Don't know much about this Amaro guy but is he worth a top 10 pick? I doubt it. Let's trade our first pick and drop down to maybe 15th and get a TE plus get an extra 2nd. Worked great last year!

It definitely did. Maybe you missed it, but in my post I said to trade down in the 1st round (which is easier said than done) to specifically target Amaro. He is not "worth" a top 10 pick IMO...but if we're somewhere around 12, I would highly think of taking him anyway if we can't trade down. Ideally I would trade down to 13-18 or so and take him.

Nice work. I always like when you College Football "nerds" ( a compliment because you know much more than me on this subject) give me names to watch for during the end of the college season. I agree on TE...definitely a major need.

Thanks. TE has been a positional need on our roster for far too long. If you look around the league, some of the most dynamic offenses have GREAT TE's. Such a critical position in today's NFL, especially in the red zone.

Edited by bobobonators

I'm down with this.

BUT...

I don't think Byrd stays on the Bills.

That would suck. If we can't keep Byrd that would create a fairly large hole in our secondary and would definitely force us to either draft one high or sign a stop-gap, middle of the road FA S, to a one year contract.

Positional needs:

OFFENSE

QB: I'm quite fine going into next season with 1. EJ; 2. Thad; 3. Tuel. Thad is more than capable to come in and be serviceable for 1-2 games..IMO.

RB: Spiller/Freddy are set. Bring in a younger RB than Choice considering both CJ and Freddy are banged up quite often. I wouuldn't mind drafting a RB really late in the draft like 6th round and taking a chance on a guy who's from a small school but with big upside.

WR: I'm OK with Stevie/Woods/Goodwin as the main starters. BUT, this is only if we draft an elite TE high. Maybe draft a WR in the 4th round for depth/potential sleeper.

TE: Chandler is a free agent in 2014 I believe. Seems like a great guy, but this is the ONE position we can make a huge splash in this draft and it'll have the biggest impact on this offense IMO. If we finish near top 10 in draft I would simply trade down to around 13 - 17 and pick up an extra second round pick. I don't care what player is near the top 10. If we can find a trading partner, trade down b/c the only player I care about for us in the 1st round is Jace Amaro.

My pick: Jace Amaro - Texas Tech. Godly. Big and fast. Phenomenal receiving TE. Exactly what EJ needs to complete this offense. Our 1st round pick in 2014.

OL: Woods/Glenn/Urbik are fine IMO. Even Pears is "OK". Nothing special..but not a real liability. Hopefully Hairston can make it back healthy next season. But for the draft, our second biggest need (IMO) is LG, and our first second round pick should be used to upgrade this position.

My pick: Xavier Su'a Filo - UCLA. If he comes out (which he prob will since he's a bit older anyway) he's instantly an upgrade over Legursky (IMO).

Defense

DL: Though coming off of yesterday's game, it's not as easy to say this, I think we're absolutely set on the DL with Dareus, KW, MW, Bryant, Hughes. IMO, i would resign Branch and bring back Carrington (he's a FA no?) and this DL is set.

LB: Kiko has been a monster and Lawson has been solid as well. Bradham/Moats are below average and shouldn't see the field much. Our second second round pick should be used to sure up the LB corps.

My pick: Chris Borland - Wisconsin. This guy doesn't have the NFL "size" (5'11 240s) causing him to drop a bit. But anyone who sees this guy play on the field will admit that he's everywhere, always. Phenomenal instincts.

CB: You can never have enough CB right? LOL. McKelvin has been playing better this season (finally) and Gilmore has not been living up to his high draft pick. Lets hope next year Gilmore will turn around much like mcKelvin has this season. We need another CB though in the first 3 rounds. Why? BECAUSE YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH CB. LOL.

My pick: Aaron Colvin - Oklahoma. Good size and aggressive. Many say he's a bit overrated so I'm hoping he drops to the 3rd round, at which point he'd be a steal (IMO).

S: A. Williams has made strides at safety this season. I like him there. Lets resign Byrd. Draft a safety in the 5th for depth.

When did the Bills get a 2nd, 2nd round pick ?

As much as I feel we need a TE, I'm not willing to go their in the 1st rd(unless his name was Tony Gonzalez). Our defense has been gashed against the run, again. My biggest wish is that Khalil Mack is in a Bills uniform next year. Moats and Bradham aren't getting the job done and isn't as impactful at the OLB as Mack. I'd also would be on the phone with the Texans inquiring about Andre Johnson. He still has a couple years left and would look great in Graham's spot!

As much as I feel we need a TE, I'm not willing to go their in the 1st rd(unless his name was Tony Gonzalez). Our defense has been gashed against the run, again. My biggest wish is that Khalil Mack is in a Bills uniform next year. Moats and Bradham aren't getting the job done and isn't as impactful at the OLB as Mack. I'd also would be on the phone with the Texans inquiring about Andre Johnson. He still has a couple years left and would look great in Graham's spot!

Thanks for reply.

Though I agree our Defense needs help, my main argument for addressing the TE position in the 1st round strictly revolves around the most important player on our team (and any team): the QB. We will be investing this season, next season, and who knows how many other seasons into the development of EJ. A potential elite, playmaking TE is probably the biggest upgrade that can be made to this offense, giving EJ a big target in the red zone and the offense a dynamic flare with playmakers at every level (CJ, Freddy, Woods/Stevie, Amaro).

Dynamic TE's are the difference between good offenses and elite offenses (IMO).

Edited by bobobonators

Thanks for reply.

Though I agree our Defense needs help, my main argument for addressing the TE position in the 1st round strictly revolves around the most important player on our team (and any team): the QB. We will be investing this season, next season, and who knows how many other seasons into the development of EJ. A potential elite, playmaking TE is probably the biggest upgrade that can be made to this offense, giving EJ a big target in the red zone and the offense a dynamic flare with playmakers at every level (CJ, Freddy, Woods/Stevie, Amaro).

I see your point about drafting a TE, if the Bills trade down, I am all for it. Be it first round or not, it is a position that we need to address.

However, I really think the Bills should consider drafting a DE high in the draft.

Here's why:

Mario is going to be 29, Branch is a UFA( I hope we re-sign him) and will also be 29, Hughes is good but not an every down player, and while I like Alex Carrington, he is coming of a big injury and still has not had that "Big Moment" we've been waiting for.

Getting some youth at this position would be a wise move. Jadaveon Clowney will be impossible to get. But, if Stephon Tuitt is there or even Trent Murphy( who might be more of an OLB) is there, I'd take one of them. I'd be thrilled with Khalil Mack as well.

Again, I understand the need for TE, but I would roll the dice and pass on Jace Amaro, and see if Ebron or Jenkins are available in round 2.

I see your point about drafting a TE, if the Bills trade down, I am all for it. Be it first round or not, it is a position that we need to address.

However, I really think the Bills should consider drafting a DE high in the draft.

Here's why:

Mario is going to be 29, Branch is a UFA( I hope we re-sign him) and will also be 29, Hughes is good but not an every down player, and while I like Alex Carrington, he is coming of a big injury and still has not had that "Big Moment" we've been waiting for.

Getting some youth at this position would be a wise move. Jadaveon Clowney will be impossible to get. But, if Stephon Tuitt is there or even Trent Murphy( who might be more of an OLB) is there, I'd take one of them. I'd be thrilled with Khalil Mack as well.

Again, I understand the need for TE, but I would roll the dice and pass on Jace Amaro, and see if Ebron or Jenkins are available in round 2.

I see where you're coming from. Tuitt has good size and can be impactful player. I still want to give Carrington one more chance to come back from this injury. He was showing some flashes last year.

Thanks for reply.

Or having a Andre Johnson, Megatron, AJ Green, etc.

Or having a Andre Johnson, Megatron, AJ Green, etc.

Dont disagree.

But Jimmy Graham, Gronkowski, vernon davis, witten, julius thomas, greg olsen, antonioo gates etc. dont require a top 5 pic to acquire like those WR do.

Edited by bobobonators

Positional needs:

OFFENSE

Defense

I love how people say, "draft a safety (in this case) in the 5th for depth. We drafted a safety in the 4th AND 5th this year- presumably for depth. It's like everyone that gets drafted in the 4th round and after is forgotten about halfway through their rookie seasons and then we forget that it's going to happen again the following year. Like for instance, RB- Xavier Omon, Duane Wright, Johnny whatever-his-name-was from North Carolina, et al. Someone always says, take a RB in the 5th, problem solved. Well, those guys are what you get in the 5th. TE- every year, "take this guy in the 4th." Well, we took Derek Fine and Shaun Nelson both in the 4th. I don't know what else to tell ya. I guess I would say that you can only really bank on addressing needs in the first 3 rounds and free agency.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I love how people say, "draft a safety (in this case) in the 5th for depth. We drafted a safety in the 4th AND 5th this year- presumably for depth. It's like everyone that gets drafted in the 4th round and after is forgotten about halfway through their rookie seasons and then we forget that it's going to happen again the following year. Like for instance, RB- Xavier Omon, Duane Wright, Johnny whatever-his-name-was from North Carolina, et al. Someone always says, take a RB in the 5th, problem solved. Well, those guys are what you get in the 5th. TE- every year, "take this guy in the 4th." Well, we took Derek Fine and Shaun Nelson both in the 4th. I don't know what else to tell ya. I guess I would say that you can only really bank on addressing needs in the first 3 rounds and free agency.

I dont understand your argument? Do you suggest we simply stop drafting after the first 3 rounds??? We need to draft SOMEONE in rds 4-7 no? Do u suggest doing the opposite? Drafting for depth in 1st three rounds and drafting starters in rounds 4-7.

Sorry man, dont get it.

And just bc we draft a postion the year prior doesnt mean we dont draft there again this year.