Barry Sanders: A Football Life on NFL Network

Big Turk

Gonna have to TiVo this. He was the best football player (not just RB) I have ever seen.

Some of his moves were unreal and incomprehensible...he looked like he was in a video game the way dudes would try to tackle him and just look silly...

Mike Vick as a QB is nowhere near the elite level talent that Barry was as an RB.

I think what he was meaning that earlier in his career, when watching Vick, he would do things that made you say "How the hell is that possible?".

In a similar way that I used to want to watch the Lions just to see Sanders play, I wanted to watch the Falcons just to see Vick play.

Edited by Dibs

I think what he was meaning that earlier in his career, when watching Vick, he would do things that made you say "How the hell is that possible?".

In a similar way that I used to want to watch the Lions just to see Sanders play, I wanted to watch the Falcons just to see Vick play.

thank you Dibs. Of course you know what I was saying. And of course your right. Obviously Vick will never even be close as accomplished as Barry was. But at the height of his career (pre prison sentence) he was absolutely electrifying to watch. Not quite as amazing as Barry, but the closest thing we've had since Barry.

I remember on old crappy, non HD TV, he would disappear in the pile, than bam, out the side running for the end zone.

I think it was Reggie White who said Barry was so good, he could make you look bad twice, on the same play.

Yeah, there are a few runs I remember...the one against Chicago where he was surrounded by six guys and came out the other side for a TD...

Then the one against the Bills where Bruce Smith grabbed him in the backfield, spun him around, and he went back the other way, outrunning Talley and a few others for like a 10 yard gain...

Then of course the one where Odomes met him in the hole around the five yard line and he spun, Odomes got nothing but air and he walked untouched into the endzone...

Edited by matter2003

Yup, that's the Bruce spin around and outrun the entire defense to the corner move...didn't realize it but Sanders ran a 4.37 40 yard dash at his pro day at Oklahoma State, meaning he had Spiller like speed...

Edited by matter2003

Sanders seemed a cut ahead. Back then I used to say Sanders was like the passing game translated yo rushing. A lot of "incompletions" for no yards and then some big plays gobbling up big yardage. Contrast that to Emmit Smith who was always good for 3-6 yards per play. Sanders was far more electrifying but harder to build an offense around because he made the running game unpredictable even for his own team.

Sanders seemed a cut ahead. Back then I used to say Sanders was like the passing game translated yo rushing. A lot of "incompletions" for no yards and then some big plays gobbling up big yardage. Contrast that to Emmit Smith who was always good for 3-6 yards per play. Sanders was far more electrifying but harder to build an offense around because he made the running game unpredictable even for his own team.

Yep! That why the Lion's never won @ a higher level. Sanders made it mostly on his own. Slow and steady wins the race. I remember big yardage losses too w/his runs... Trying to turn something into gold... Bam! Now his team is 15-20 yards away from a first down.

North-South consistent runner is preferable... But, I'd give Barry a whirl on my team! ;-) ;-)

I think it would help but the problem was his style would still translate into losses. Even with a great line there are times when the best even Barry could do is two yards- and he would never be satisfied with that. He would turn those two yards into a for yard loss. Again not saying he wasn't incredible just that his style was inherently a gamble.