Why isn't anyone talking about Stevie?

Alphadawg7

Well, I'm still beating you 1 to 0 in explaining why Stevie is reliably unreliable. I guess you chalk it up to...?

Up 1-0 in conjecturing sure, explaining not so much.

Btw. Thank you both for this wildly entertaining debate. I really was not feeling up to just staring at spreadsheets all day today.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up 1-0 in conjecturing sure, explaining not so much.

Btw. Thank you both for this wildly entertaining debate. I really was just not feeling up to just staring at spreadsheets all day today.

And suddenly everything said on a Bills message board has to be backed by first-hand knowledge? 99% of what is shared here is COMPLETE conjecture. In this case, we all want to fight so hard against this because we don't want to admit a local darling has fundamental flaws that may forever hamper this team.

And suddenly everything said on a Bills message board has to be backed by first-hand knowledge? 99% of what is shared here is COMPLETE conjecture. In this case, we all want to fight so hard against this because we don't want to admit a local darling has fundamental flaws that may forever hamper this team.

The conjecture is what makes this debate great. It's great because you both agree SJ isn't reliable. He's using math and logic to say that although SJ isn't reliable, there is no way to correlate a guy being a giant turd with not being clutch. You are saying that the correlation is fair despite numerous exceptions to the "rule" you are presenting. I'd have to side with Jauronimo here, but thank you both for the entertainment.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Evaluating Stevie for me is quite simple. I have seen him help this team lose more than I've seen him help them win. Moving forward, I don't see his game improving. He and Chandler are expendable.

Day-um!

Right on the money (except for the chandler part. :) )

In the context of this conversation, I must insist that maturity is probably more of a subjective opinion than anything else. If we were speaking about sexual maturity in a certain species, we'd have a short, factual, conversation. However, because we're speaking about human behavior, in circumstances un-related to propagation of the species, conclusions can be more subjective.

In this this case, we look to behaviour that typically produces favorable results as mature, and view behavior with detrimental outcomes as immature. We hold individuals up to the light, compare habits to outcomes, then make assessments. -If spinning footballs got you to the playoffs, Stevie would get us there for sure. If first-down celebrations were worth six points, Stevie would be among the top scorers in the NFL. However, these things don't help us win... In fact, they can result in costly penalities that hurt our bottom line.

So, for the purposes of winning football games, Steve Johnson's behavior is largely useless. Whether you consider him mature, or not, the outcome is the same. Why watch football at all if you live in world of essential mathematical truths? Why not Just survive, reproduce, then keel-over when it's done? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...