Hackett on sideline today...

herns78

You mean coaches can't communicate to the QB via radio from the sideline? If so, then it all makes sense.

He could speak to him when he was on the sideline, but could not speak to him when he was on the field. There's a brief time between plays that the radio turns on when the QB is on the field.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not allowed to talk to the QB via the radio from the booth. So Hackett had to tell Vrabel and then he called the play into Ej

Hmmm. I thought the opposite.

That Hackett had to call the play, send it upstairs, and then into EJ.

If Hackett can call the play from the sidelines, there's no reason for calls getting in late during today's game.

Apparently I'm missing something.

:beer:

I can't recall which reporter mentioned this on twitter during the game, but apparently the offensive quality control coach was sending in the plays from the booth which is what caused the delays--- the only reason I made a note of this is that the reporter referred to the QC coach as Mike Vrabel. Thinking it was the former Patriot I looked it up and it was a mistake: his name is actually Jason Vrable.

I would love to hear the explanation about why Hackett just can't call the plays directly to EJ. There has to be a good reason there's an intermediary. Maybe Hackett has too much going on, so he just has shorthand notations for the plays, and the QC guy calls in the full play? I would love for someone to ask Marrone this.

Hmmm. I thought the opposite.

That Hackett had to call the play, send it upstairs, and then into EJ.

If Hackett can call the play from the sidelines, there's no reason for calls getting in late during today's game.

Apparently I'm missing something.

:beer:

Rules allow each team to equip one of its sideline coaches with a coach-to-quarterback headset,

I would love to hear the explanation about why Hackett just can't call the plays directly to EJ. There has to be a good reason there's an intermediary. Maybe Hackett has too much going on, so he just has shorthand notations for the plays, and the QC guy calls in the full play? I would love for someone to ask Marrone this.

It's against NFL rules.

Edited by jeremy2020

Exactly.

So Hackett was on the sidelines today, why would there by any delay in getting the calls in to EJ?

Probably because he was telling EJ other things than just the play. Likely things about coverages, things EJ missed, etc. Whatever, it was, it seemed to work well.

Edited by jeremy2020

So, I got this from an article I googled re the rules:

"Only one coach can communicate to the quarterback, and that coach has to be on the field, in the bench area. If the offensive coordinator is the team's play-caller and is in the press box, then he relays a play to a designated assistant coach on the field and that assistant coach relays it to the quarterback."

So, this probably means that Vrable was on the field today too, calling the plays. It also doesn't explain why Vrable would do it, and Hackett wouldn't. I think Jeremy 2020 opined that maybe Hackett is telling EJ other things on the headset, but Hackett wouldn't have been permitted to have a headset to communicate to EJ.

I suspected it was the Bills' Chris Brown, and sure enough it was--- however, he deleted the original tweet that incorrectly said "Mike Vrabel", and the corrected tweet doesn't have the same wording or say anything about playcalling specifically:

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills

Sorry about that, off quality control coach Jason Vrabel up in booth in Hackett's place. #Bills

https://twitter.com/...138622797033472

Edited by Punch

So, I got this from an article I googled re the rules:

"Only one coach can communicate to the quarterback, and that coach has to be on the field, in the bench area. If the offensive coordinator is the team's play-caller and is in the press box, then he relays a play to a designated assistant coach on the field and that assistant coach relays it to the quarterback."

So, this probably means that Vrable was on the field today too, calling the plays. It also doesn't explain why Vrable would do it, and Hackett wouldn't. I think Jeremy 2020 opined that maybe Hackett is telling EJ other things on the headset, but Hackett wouldn't have been permitted to have a headset to communicate to EJ.

He was on the field today

Thought it was a good move to have him on the sideline. I'm wondering whose call it was to have him down there? He brings a lot of enthusiasm to the sidelines. Hopefully, he stays down there for the rest of the season. It's key to have good communication between OC and QB, and it seemed to work today. He was so insistent in the beginning of the season that it was better to be in the booth so he could see the whole field. I wonder what made him change his mind? Coach Marrone perhaps??

Pettine probably told him his experience from being up there to going down to the sideline, and figured he'd give it a shot. It worked today hope stays down. I couldn't imagine coaching up there it would feel like being just another fan but calling plays. Gotta be on the front lines to get a real feel for the game and players.

Exactly.

So Hackett was on the sidelines today, why would there by any delay in getting the calls in to EJ?

Maybe Hackett needed to wait for jets personel packages to be told to him by Vrabel before it confirmed certain play calls in certain situations....