• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

3688516023_07450826e5_o.png

http://www.advancedn...udy-part-4.html

Nothing new here. I just wish Marrone would try it. At 3-7, why not? It worked for Billy Beane.

This is great.

Can you imagine a coach going for it on 4th and 1 from his own 5 yard line?!

EDIT: I would like to see a coach do this in the pre-season. What's the harm? It would also give you some sense of whether it would be feasible.

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

I think the interview got derailed initially because Marrone forgot that Easley botched the route in the endzone. Simon tried to call him out on it, but Marrone wouldn't budge and Simon awkwardly moved on.

I wonder how any of us would deal with a weekly second-guessing session with two people who know nothing about your job?

PTR

I now nothing about his job, but I know that there is statistical evidence that shows an aggresive approach to 4th down, based on field position and yards to gain, would translate to more points in a game.

I think the interview got derailed initially because Marrone forgot that Easley botched the route in the endzone. Simon tried to call him out on it, but Marrone wouldn't budge and Simon awkwardly moved on.

Why even talk about or ask a question about that play? A receiver ran the wrong route on your garbage time goal line series.... Who cares?

Could it be that the guy can't catch anything but dump offs?

In theory, it may be great to utilize the speed mismatch. But maybe based on practice, they know it will be Graham V 2.0 if they call those plays?

can't remember the game, but last year, I saw Spiller line up at flanker, run a streak, and high point the ball over the DB. F-off Marrone.

He got aggressive with Howard and Simon (came across like he was calling them out on the air). It was very awkward with some of the questions about Graham, Hogan and the WR's. IMO Marrone came across as delusional. Just my opinion.

Marrone also admitted he is not keen using spiller in the passing game. Especially vertically. Said it's easier to hand the ball off to him. Only likes utilizing screens, very short stuff.

Yes limit our most dynamic talent on this team and limit plays which get him space. Sounds great!

As Dick Jauron said "its tough to win in the NFL".

I noticed Chris Johnson split out a few times last night and I have seen both Bush and Sproles split out a varioius times this season. That's what you do with dynamic players.anything to give them opportunities to move the ball. This is a copy cat league for all teams except the Bills.

Why even talk about or ask a question about that play? A receiver ran the wrong route on your garbage time goal line series.... Who cares?

I don't fault Marrone on this - he is 100% focused on the Jets at this point. Maybe if that was asked on Monday? I don't know - it doesn't matter whether he wants to answer about this or not, IMO. Or forgot who it was or forgot it happened. JMO.

This is great.

Can you imagine a coach going for it on 4th and 1 from his own 5 yard line?!

EDIT: I would like to see a coach do this in the pre-season. What's the harm? It would also give you some sense of whether it would be feasible.

I just read somthing saying that the chance of the opposing team to score weather you punt, or don't get the first is about the same. So, take a chance at keeping the ball.

Exactly.

The results showed that there is such a high probability of the other team scoring on the next possession after the punt, that you are better off going for it. It sounds absolutely crazy, I agree, but it really makes sense.

Edited by AdamK

It was a logical set of questions, basically following the concerns everyone has -

"Your top two receivers are down, and you will need to rely on Graham & Easley as your top two WRs for this game.

Is there a concern about the drop off from Johnson & Woods?

We saw in the last game that a miscommunication between those two guys possibly caused a missed TD."

If they didn't ask those obvious questions to Coach Obvious, then they're not doing their job. I understand why Marrone would want to deflect the questions, but those questions have to be asked because they're valid.

Exactly.

The results showed that there is such a high probability of the other team scoring on the next possession after the punt, that you are better off going for it. It sounds absolutely crazy, I agree, but it really makes sense.

oh yea, right there at the "coach who never punts thread".

With the current state of the bills, I'd love to see them try out this method.

I now nothing about his job, but I know that there is statistical evidence that shows an aggresive approach to 4th down, based on field position and yards to gain, would translate to more points in a game.

How dare you second-guess a coach (and an organization) with such an unparalleled record of success?