Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

[broken record /on]

The argument has never been about Hogan vs Rogers, because Hogan made the team, and at best Rogers would have been on the PS. Hogan was the better fit for the team's plans for this year, while Rogers was the long term project. So comparing them is not correct.

You also have to look at the timing of the cuts. Rogers didn't even make it to the final cutdowns, so you have to imagine something soured between him and the coaching staff and they didn't think that he could cut it in the league. They may turn out to be monumentally wrong on this one, but we don't know exactly what was happening in the locker room and on the practice field. Whaley may have tried a sneaky move by cutting Rogers early to scare some teams from Rogers, but I doubt it's what happened, especially how protective they were with Tuel. My guess is that they didn't think that Rogers was a good fit in Buffalo, for whatever reasons.

Yet that is all irrelevant to the decision to keep Hogan on the active roster.

[broken record /off]

How is it irrelevant? There was 1 spot for a 6th WR (or Graham and Easley) for that matter. That is the spot that should have been used for Rogers (with PS as Plan B). It couldn't be more relevant to the conversation.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it irrelevant? There was 1 spot for a 6th WR (or Graham and Easley) for that matter. That is the spot that should have been used for Rogers (with PS as Plan B). It couldn't be more relevant to the conversation.

It is irrelevant because Rogers wasn't NFL roster ready and would have been a luxury at tat roster spot. Indy took a long time getting him on the active roster even after losing two receivers for the season. Hogan got the job because he could contribute immediately if needed.

The real question is whether Bills would have or did try to get him back on the PS or why they thought Streeter would be a better development project. But looking at the decision made in August, it's easy to see why Bills kept Hogan over Rogers on the 53 man roster.

It is irrelevant because Rogers wasn't NFL roster ready and would have been a luxury at tat roster spot. Indy took a long time getting him on the active roster even after losing two receivers for the season. Hogan got the job because he could contribute immediately if needed.

The real question is whether Bills would have or did try to get him back on the PS or why they thought Streeter would be a better development project. But looking at the decision made in August, it's easy to see why Bills kept Hogan over Rogers on the 53 man roster.

well, it did take him awhile but how much of that do you think was joining the team in september? i think thats fair to note in the fact that he took awhile to contribute in indy.

I agree with your post. I think that is why they made the decision that they did. If you need your 6th WR to contribute immediately though it's a problem. That is what is so frustrating, that the rebuilding Bills could be that shortsighted.

well, it did take him awhile but how much of that do you think was joining the team in september? i think thats fair to note in the fact that he took awhile to contribute in indy.

That could have been a part of it, but bridging a guy who in the summer, didn't know where to stand in the huddle, where to line up on the field, missed several assignments to the guy who in early winter had a very good game, to me means it was more than just getting the hang of the play book.

Hogan was the better fit for the team's plans for this year, while Rogers was the long term project. So comparing them is not correct.

The Bills were not going to win anything this year, and perhaps next year. They could've waited for Rogers to develop. Besides, the obviously haven't needed Hogan for anything this season.

...but we don't know exactly what was happening in the locker room and on the practice field.

Well, if he insulted Marrone's mother or something, I can sympathize with the Bills.

My guess is that they didn't think that Rogers was a good fit in Buffalo, for whatever reasons.

What, he didn't fit into the culture of losing here? He caught the ball some way that didn't jive with the Bills.

How in the world is this thread 22 pages long?

:P

Because by December each year, the Bills season is essentially over, so it's time to look back and wonder what went wrong. Meanwhile, a player the Bills though they were better than has blown up in a game. Simple.

That could have been a part of it, but bridging a guy who in the summer, didn't know where to stand in the huddle, where to line up on the field, missed several assignments to the guy who in early winter had a very good game, to me means it was more than just getting the hang of the play book.

It certainly was more GG...You're 100% right about that...It was an organization, and a coaching staff, who (wrongly) thought they were so talented at WR there was no need to keep Rogers and work extra hard on the things that he was struggling with...It was the strange arrogance of a rookie HC who (wrongly) decided the players he was keeping were better players... "We have better players now..." That's what Marrone said..."Better players..."

The reality is exactly what you pointed out...At the time of Rogers release the Bills had players that were better at understanding the playbook, lining up in the right spot, and executing their assignments...They were better at the mental side of the game than Rogers...That should have come as no surprise to Marrone and staff...An undrafted rookie who basically played WR for one full year of big time College football and he's not grasping things as quickly? I'm shocked...Maybe Marrone and Hackett were too busy fawning over "7-11" to have time for Rogers...Who knows... ;)

As a WR though, as an athlete...As a guy who can go up and get the ball, or make a big play...Rogers certainly was every bit as good as the rest of the Bills WR's...Like NoSaint has pointed out in this thread several times...There was certainly no shortage of big play reports by Rogers in Camp...I did not go to Camp myself, but I do remember reading about Rogers a lot here...And especially on his ability to make big plays during Camp...He needed more time on the mental side of the game and the Bills were too busy worrying about him missing assignments instead of figuring out a way to bridge the gap until he caught on...That may have meant figuring out a way to keep 7 WR's for a few weeks...Maybe you put the gimpy Kicker on IR? I don't know...Figure it out...Keep one less somewhere else...It's absolutely do-able...Instead the Bills took the easy way out and just cut him...

And like I said before, it's not necessarily that I believe Rogers is the next coming or anything like that...It's more that I believe the Bills, when faced with these type of decisions (or any decision on or off the field), get it wrong more than they get it right...So I fully expect Rogers to make Marrone and the Bills look like a fools...Because that's what happens here...That's just what usually happens to the Buffalo Bills... B-)

You know...Maybe you did not mean it this way, and you were just trying to be funny...If so my apologies upfront...But I have to be honest...This is the kind of post that really irritates me...

Who is the heck is even hinting at Rogers being a mega talent?...I said he's a rookie and he has plenty of talent...That's all...That kind of ridiculous over-exaggeration (this mega talent) is what kills decent conversation and argument on this board every day and throws it into the garbage pile of smart ass comments and mudslinging...I mean...Seriously...If you have read and comprehended ANY of the past few pages you would know...

So again...This entire 20 plus page thread has nothing to do with predicting Rogers to be the next Megatron, or anything of the sort...It has everything to do with keeping Chris Hogan and TJ Graham over Rogers...Which is a legitimate conversation and debate...

If all you can come up with is 0-1? What exactly did Rogers do to help the Colts lose that game? Give me some specifics because the last time I checked he did not play on Defense...

Mega-talent? Who the fug knows? More talented than Hogan or Graham? Well...I'm pretty sure that's a possibility...Talented enough to at least help the Bills score more point? Probably so...Going to get better with time? Very likely...HUGE need (WR) in Buffalo still? Yep...Rogers Mega-star? I have no earthly idea... B-)

I get the Da'rick over hogan issue. Really I do

I'm mostly poking fun with the outraged fans here though.

One game where he scored some garbage stats and so many are crowning him which is a little goofy as well.

Top tier wrs do get drafted unlike the rick.

I'm not sweating the loss at all and yes tj graham is worthless.

One game where he scored some garbage stats and so many are crowning him which is a little goofy as well.

If you go through the 20 something pages it was before Rogers had a catch. It really isn't about him as a player and more about the decision making of the front office. In this case it seemed like such an easy decision (on a guy that they were lucky to fall into) and they still screwed it up.

I hear you...

But just for once I'd like to see the Bills be the team that outsmarted everyone...Got the undrafted guy that turns out to be a gem...Whatever...instead of the other way around...You know?

Plus...Admittedly I was very much in favor of the Bills biting the bullet so-to-speak and keeping Rogers on the 53...So this one does strike a nerve with me...It really does... B-)

I hear you...

But just for once I'd like to see the Bills be the team that outsmarted everyone...Got the undrafted guy that turns out to be a gem...Whatever...instead of the other way around...You know?

Jason Peters & Fred Jackson said hi.

One thing that's sticking with me on the "he has luck throwing to him" argument several made.... Wasn't it a 7 yard slant that he broke several tackles and housed- not a case of luck making a freak throw ej couldn't?

Could have been Bengals DBs underestimating him?

Then again, he schooled the CB on the second TD. Looked a polar opposite of the route Graham ran for the fatal INT vs New England last year.

Could have been Bengals DBs underestimating him?

Then again, he schooled the CB on the second TD. Looked a polar opposite of the route Graham ran for the fatal INT vs New England last year.

I don't think Rogers is anywhere close to being as good as he can be...And no question he may never get there...But when I see the kid play I can't help but see his big-time potential...I've been wrong before...But he's got all the tools...And if he puts it all together...With Luck throwing him the ball?...Who knows how good he can be?...I think his upside is in the Dez Bryant area... B-)

One thing that's sticking with me on the "he has luck throwing to him" argument several made.... Wasn't it a 7 yard slant that he broke several tackles and housed- not a case of luck making a freak throw ej couldn't?

EJ can make a 7 yard slant?! News to me. (just kidding just kidding stirring the pot)